Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chapter Five (Need You Now)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 4 (Just The Two Of Us)
-Scattering hay for the first time, I realized how much work living on a ranch involves.
-As I brushed Mr. Nunu, I gained a new-found respect for the presence of his size.
-He likes being groomed, and I assured him that I will take care of him.
-He let me stroke his face just a little bit longer.
-As I spanned the glorious view from my backyard, I began to understand why I moved to this town.


Photobucket


Location: The Watering Hole Saloon
Date: Saturday, 10/22/11
Time: 9:21 p.m.


Later that night, I decide to go out.  This house is just too big and quiet, and it will give me too much time to think. About the family I left behind. The friends I will probably never see again...at least not for a very long time. The life, hopes and dreams that I gave up...with the man that I spent the last two years with. Seeing his face in my mind brings a stabbing pain to my battered heart. Those pale blue eyes that have the ability to make me lose my breath when they gaze into mine. I can't even think of what went wrong right now. I won't make it a week in this town if I let myself get vulnerable.

What's the best way to move on? Should I just get out there, meet people and have fun? That's exactly what I'm going to do. There are no clubs in this town, but I passed by this bar called The Watering Hole Saloon. Wow. I haven't heard the word saloon since I watched one of those 1800's western movies when I was a kid. Seriously, who still says saloon these days?

Photobucket

When I pull up to the front, the presence of this historic-looking building is hard to ignore. It has two stories with a wrap-around porch. The original architectural detail is still evident. I can just imagine former residents of this town arriving in their horse and buggy, ready to unwind after a hard day's work. Since this is a saloon, the majority of the customers were probably drunk, sweaty, bearded men. And the few women that actually frequented this place were probably...women of the night.

As I pass through the swinging doors, I can hear the vibration of roots music playing. The place smells like a mixture of cigarettes, damp wood, cheap bar food and beer.

I'm already feeling apprehensive. This place is nothing like the posh, modern lounges and dance clubs in Bridgeport. They're not even playing the type of music I like.

Photobucket

I expected fat, greasy old men in leather jackets that look like they could be related to Chewbacca. Instead, I see two men who look pretty...normal. Hmmm...maybe they just moved here too.  Neither of them are really my type, but at this point I guess I can't be too picky. It wouldn't hurt to make some new friends in this town.

Photobucket

"Hey, you wanna dance?" The man in braids asks as he approaches me.

Do I really feel like dancing with him? He doesn't look very friendly. Ah, what the heck. Maybe that's what I need.

"Sure."

It takes us a few minutes to find the dance floor. Only to find...none. What kind of saloon doesn't have a dance floor?? We end up dancing behind the bar.

Photobucket

"You're cute. What's your name?" He asks.

"Umm..thanks. I'm Lyn. What's yours?

"Zac. I haven't seen you around here."

"I just moved here."

Photobucket

He gets this really intense look in his eyes, which creep me out a little bit. I'm not sure if he wants to drag me into the alley to have his way with me or if he's just really into the music. I don't think I'm ready for this type of attention quite yet. I wait until the song finishes to thank him for the dance.

"That was fun." I mutter.

"You wanna go again?"

"Actually, I'm going to get some food. Thank you though." It's true. I'm starving.

Photobucket


Mmmmm...chicken wings. I haven't had these in a long time.  Buttery, salty and greasy.  My worst sinful nemesis, but they are soooo good.  My mom would always fuss at me about my eating habits, but all of her nagging just made me want to rebel even more.  

Photobucket


I see another guy by the bar. To my disappointment...he's not my type either. Behind him, the one with the glasses is starting to look decent. Compared to the other two. I guess it's true what they say. Hotness depends on who you're being compared to.

Photobucket

"Hi there.  I'm Lyn.  I saw you downstairs." I offer my hand.

"Ohhh...hi.  Nice to meet you, Lyn.  I'm Kenji." His hand feels nice and warm.

"Are you from around here?" I make an attempt at conversation.

"No, I'm not. I just moved here about a month ago. I'm on an archeology assignment, so I'll be here for a year."

"You're an archeologist?"

"Yes. I'm from Sunset Valley. That's where I grew up."

"That's awesome. I'm from Bridgeport myself."

"What about you? What brings you here?"

It's more like what made me leave Bridgeport. Change the subject.

"I just want to get away from the city. A change of pace, you know?"

"I know what you mean. Bridgeport is a a big city. It can get really hectic."

Photobucket


"What kind of music do you like?" He asks.

"All kinds, as long as it's created by talent. What about you?" 

"I love classical music. "

Photobucket

"I just bought a ranch. Well, it's more so my horse can have a place to sleep." For some reason I feel comfortable telling him this.

"Haha. Lucky horse. What's his name?"

"Mr. Nunu. He already stole my heart." At that comment, he holds his gaze just a little bit longer and smiles.

"He sounds awesome."

Photobucket

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a woman rubbing her belly. She looks like she's about four or five months pregnant. The side to side motion of her hand on her belly causes me to clutch my own stomach. Flashbacks of excruciating pain rudely interrupt my thoughts, making me wish I can just go inside a dark hole and hide.

Photobucket

The sight of the mixologists' ridiculously endowed chest distracts me from the phantom lower abdominal pain for a second. But it doesn't last long.  It feels like I'm being split in half from the inside, causing me to take sharp breaths.  

Photobucket

Even Kenji's attempt to get to know me can't snap me out of my own mortifying discomfort.

"Picture perfect memories
Scattered all around the floor
Reaching for the phone 'cause
I can't fight it anymore
And I wonder if I
Ever cross your mind
For me it happens all the time"


To make matters worse, this song comes on. The sound of his name seems to echo through the room.  It's as if he just barged through the swinging door, and everything stops frozen, even time.  He dances around me like a cruel ghost, taunting me...haunting me...reeling me into the past like a fish trying to escape the fierce grip of a hook.  Is this a joke? Is somebody really messing with me up there??

Photobucket

"I have to go." I interrupt, as I start to feel suffocated.  Now I wish I had stayed home.

"Already?" Disappointment takes over his face.

"Yeah. I'm just tired."

"Here's my number. Call me up if you ever want to hang out or if you just feel like chatting." He offers as he hands me a piece of paper.

"I will. Have a good night."

"You too."

Photobucket

I had to get away from that place. Seeing that pregnant woman and hearing that song just triggered bittersweet memories of him and pieces of the life that we used to share. It was all too much to deal with. Running to the car, I take deep breaths just to prevent the tears from falling. They are drowning my eyes, and they feel very heavy.

Just make it to the truck. Just make it to the truck.

Photobucket

As soon as I close the door and turn the keys, the tears cascade down my cheeks. They burn on my skin. They wet the top of my blouse. And just when I thought fate had the last laugh, the very same song that I ran away from comes on the radio.

"It's a quarter after one
I'm all alone
And I need you now
Said I wouldn't call
But I've lost all control
And I need you now"


Wiping my tears, I stop running from the words. I stop fighting the pain. This is the first time I have allowed myself to think about him. This is the first time I have allowed myself to miss him.

And just like the song, I need him now more than ever.


*Copyright 2011 Lyn C.S.*
------------------------------------------

"Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum

Video by: LadyAntebellumVEVO


18 comments:

  1. Kenji was pretty cute. Well, if he had a different hairstlye. The mixologist had some serious...endnowments. I'm wondering what happened in Lyn's past and who she misses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Kenji started to look cute compared to the intense looking guy and the other dude. I actually like the hair on him but he just doesn't float my boat. But I think EA did a good job on him though. AP has some decent looking male townies.

    I know, I was cracking up at the mixologist's endowments. Umm..yeah they were out there. Literally. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was perfect, I love, love, love LA, their song was so fitting for this chapter. Kenji is a cutie, my sim wanted to hook up with him when I player AP briefly, haven't gone back since to play. I'm loving this so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Valpre, welcome to my blog! What an honor to see you here, considering how brilliant of a writer you are and how popular (and amazing) Krysis is. So you are loving the story so far? That's awesome! I must be doing something right. lol

    It's funny because that song (the Simlish version) really did come on while she was talking to Kenjie. And it totally changed the mood in the game. He is a sweetheart. Unfortunately, he doesn't have that edge that floats my sim's boat. Hmm..maybe that's what got her in trouble in the first place. XD

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this update. Happy Thanksgiving!

    You can call me Lyn by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha saying that Zac doesn't look friendly is putting it kindly. Dude's got some scary eyeliner going on! Also, I'm loving these little hints about her past. So many stories give it all away so early; I really like when writers keep me guessing :D

    Oh! And I love this song. Thumbs up for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I thought I was the only one that noticed the eyeliner thing going on! Bahaha yeah, he creeped me out. I like to be kept on my toes as well, and I hate it when writers give everything away in one chapter. I'm like...uhhh what else is there??

    Thanks for following my story, I am enjoying yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am enjoying Lyn's story thus far. I hope to feature it on the blog in the next couple of days. Funny about those mixologists and bouncers, they all seem to have the same over-the-top plastic surgeon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Seaweedy, thanks for checking out my story! Wow, it might get featured?? I would be so honored!! Thank you, that means a lot to me that you're enoying this story.

    Haha I never thought of plastic surgeons in the sims. But it does make a lot of sense with all of these endowments. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sight of the mixologists' ridiculously endowed chest distracts me <--they ALL have those huge racks for some reason! It's like "Hey come in for a drink and stare at these puppies! Oh I better get a huge tip for letting you stare too!" I've always wondered why they are "randomized" that way...way random EA we get the picture and no it's not sexist at all!

    That Zac was not only creepy but self centered it seems too. In one shot where she's talking to Kenji I'm pretty sure he was thinking about himself! Good thing Lyn lost the loser fast! That was too telling. (Besides he looked like a freaking murderer!)

    That was sad that she had such an emotional time in that bar but it was bound to happen the way she was avoiding her pain. It's good to let it in, deal with it and then let it all go. The past is where it needs to be but only after she confronts it first. Now I am curious if the ex made her get rid of her baby or if this is a biological clock thing...if it's the former then I hate his ass even more!

    LOVED the song though so beautiful and very fitting!

    P.S. Zac is freaking creepy! That's an instant kill sim in my game if I ever run across him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeek! Daijahv, seeing how long your comment is just made me all giddy. I love reading them!! Bahaha I agree, the boobs on these mixologists can get ridiculous. Your comment cracked me up, that's definitely one way to get more tips! "Yeah honey, just slip your tip right here." XD You know what they should do? If women have these huge boobs, they should give men huge bulges. XD I mean, it's only fair right? Then the "endowments" won't be sexist anymore.

    Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Zac was creepy. I try not to be judgemental but that dude has some creepy eyes! And it was weird because the minute he walked in the saloon, he was thinking about her and asked her to dance right away. I hope she doesnt look like some helpless target.

    I agree, she needs to confront her pain if she ever wants to have any chance of letting go and moving on. She seems to be having a hard time doing that, as denial is an easier place to live in. The consensus on her ex is mixed: some readers like him, some want to slap him. You'll have to see for yourself as to why.

    I'm glad you liked the song! The Simlish version came on while she was talking to Kenji and that totally changed the energy in the game. So it didn't make sense not to include it in the update. OMG, Zac is an instant kill?? You're ruthless! I don't have the heart to kill my sims off, I just delete them. XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. And it was weird because the minute he walked in the saloon, he was thinking about her and asked her to dance right away. I hope she doesnt look like some helpless target.

    ^^
    Sounds like he followed her ass there! She better find a guard dog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn, that would have been a good twist to the story. Zac following her to the club and possibly following her home. Why didn't I think of that??

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmmmm Kenji was pretty cute there *eyebrow raise* I should probably call dibs on him before DJ or Leah trys to snagg him. lol
    ANd I love that song by Lady Antebellum. its one of my favorite by them :)
    I feel so sorry for Lyn, the past is going to take some time to get over before she can really move forward into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha you guys crack me up!! Wow, girls fighting over Kenji, I didn't see that coming. XD He is very sweet though, and compared to the other ones at the saloon, pretty cute.

    I love "Need You Now" too, and I never really appreciated the lyrics until that scene. It definitely changed the mood in the game. I agree, it's going to take some time for her to sort through her past.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lyn made a new friend!
    The sight of a woman rubbing her pregnant belly and a big busted mixologist set her off along with the song...I really wonder what it is he did to her and what made her leave now. It's funny how easy it is to fall in love and how hard it is to fall out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Kenji is a sweetheart. Even if he's not her type physically, they can always become good friends. Stay tuned, you will find out what happened that made her react like that, and what made her leave. It's coming up in the next few chapters.

    OMG, I so agree!! It's so easy to fall in love but even harder to fall out of it. It's like, all of the reasons that made you fall for that person, you have to take it all back. Ughh it's so complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ~ Sorry, still reading,so good,Kenji is a sweet heart,Other guy a creep,(he had a make-over in my game,he now looks HOT!And he does have tabs on himself,he is a mean, player,with commitment issues!)
    ~ Just got to keep reading!YEAH!LOL:)............(",)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karima,

    LOL you're all saying sorry. No worries, girly, take your time with the story, it's 20 chapters to work through. I'm just happy that you are still reading! :-) I always get nervous when I get new readers, I can never predict how they react to the story. So the fact that you kept reading past Ch. 1 is a good sign. XD

    Haha I agree, Kenji is a sweetheart but Zac is creepy. He has those serial killer eyes. I hate to assume things but that guy seriously needs to take the edge off! Ooooh I wanna see your made-over version of him! You had me at "hot". lol

    Bahaha I love how you said YEAH! I should be saying that! YEAH!! You're still reading!! XD

    ReplyDelete