Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chapter Six (Feels Like Home)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 5 (Need You Now)
-After having no contact with humans since my first day, I decided to visit The Watering Hole Saloon.
-It's a far cry from the posh clubs and lounges that I'm used to in Bridgeport, but it's better than being lonely at home.
-After dancing with some random guy, I met this archeologist named Kenji.
-We were hitting it off until I saw a woman about 4-5 months pregnant.
-I felt so uncomfortable with the phantom pain in my stomach that I ran out to my car.
-Crying in the truck, I finally allowed myself to feel the pain...and miss him.


Photobucket

Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Sunday, 10/23/11
Time: 1:20 a.m.


When I get home from the saloon, flashbacks of that pregnant woman at the saloon invade my thoughts again. The excruciating pain in my stomach comes back, this time much stronger. I reach for the back of the dining room chair until I ease myself on the seat, taking quick breaths to make the stabbing sensations go away. With my right hand on my belly, things slowly come back to me. That night in our Bridgeport condo, when I was in the bathroom, holding a pregnancy test. I saw two lines. I was already three weeks late at that point, but I knew. I just knew. Were we ready for a baby? He was in his first year as a general practitioner and I was a first year resident. We were still trying to establish ourselves. I expected to be disappointed when I saw the two lines. That would mean my career as a pediatrician would be over. But I wasn't. Instead, I was elated. My heart swelled in utter joy. Not only was I going to have a baby, but I was going to have it with him.

I fall into a deep sleep until 3 p.m. I wake up with a giant headache, probably from sleeping over 12 hours straight, but I feel better. I feel just a little bit stronger. I try to see if the Fox family put up another adoption ad on the internet so I can go see Willow, but I find another family instead. This time, they have a dog up for adoption. Am I ready for a dog right now? Well, I wasn't ready to leave my life in Bridgeport behind either, but shit happens.

With that epiphany, I drive over to the Schmidt household with hopes to add a new member of my family.

Photobucket

I press the doorbell. A few minutes go by. Nobody answers. Am I in the right house?

"Hello." A man's voice surprises me. I turn around to find a bearded man gazing at me. How long has he been standing there? His eyes seem to hold private thoughts about me. Thoughts that would probably get him slapped if he exposed them. It makes me nervous, yet excited at the same time.

"Hi there. I saw your pet adoption ad on the internet."

"Oh, okay. I'm Benjamin." He offers his hand.

"I'm Lyn. Nice to meet you."

His hands feel strong and firm as his fingers squeeze mine. Our eyes meet again. Then I notice the tattoos on his arms. This makes me lose my breath. I remember my fingers tracing the outline of the tattoos on his bare body as I watched him sleep. Sometimes he would be awoken during the early morning hours, that moment just before the sun rises. I would smile and apologize for interrupting his slumber. Without saying a word, he would pull me towards him and kiss me as he runs his fingers through my hair. And that's all it took. A gaze. A smile. A touch. And I would lose all control.

"Let's go inside." He mutters as he opens the door.

Photobucket

The house is empty. Suddenly, I become very aware that it's just the two of us in here. For all I know, his wife and kids could be roaming around town. They could be back at any minute. But at this moment, I feel a tightness in my chest as I stand behind him, scanning the back of his body.

"Do you want anything to drink?" He asks.

"No, thank you. I won't be long." Wait, what am I saying? That would have given me an excuse to hang around just a little bit longer. I'm very intrigued by him.

Photobucket

I hear a growl behind me. I turn around, expecting a large dog with a menacing look. Instead, I see a little runt attacking a chair. He is really tearing that thing up!!

Photobucket

"Dozer!! Stop that! Sorry, he does that sometimes." He apologizes, looking a bit embarrassed.

"He's really cute though. Too bad I'm more into large dogs."

"Ahhh, I see. I do have a large dog, but he's not up for adoption."

"It's okay. I'll just have to keep checking the ads."

"Well, if you give me your information, I can call you if I something comes up."

"You really don't have to do that."

"Well, it would at least give me an excuse to call you."

His brownish hazel eyes are intense now, hoping that I will give him the green light. He must be single. Unless he's a dog that just doesn't care if he has a wife or girlfriend.

"Here's my number." I hand him a piece of paper with my new cell number on it. My old Bridgeport cell number has already been disconnected.

"Thanks. By the way, here's my card. If you ever need anything repaired, call me."

"You're a repairman?" Maybe he can also fix my heart.

"Yes, maam. I'm the best in town." He grins.

Do I look old or something? People have been calling me maam a lot.

The way he says it sounds hot though. He has a mild country accent. My breath gets caught in my throat. I'm usually not into bearded men, but there's something sexy and masculine about him. I can already picture him in my house, shirtless with a large toolbelt, under the kitchen sink. I can already picture his beard tickling my chin as his lips touch mine. Wait, why am I thinking like this??

"We'll see about that." I grin back.

Photobucket

I can't believe I just said that. Did I just flirt with him? I giggle on the way home, thrilled at the fact that I have something to look forward to. His call.

Photobucket

When I pull up to the driveway, it dawns on me that I haven't seen Mr. Nunu all day. I miss him!! Then I start to feel guilty. I hope he was able to keep himself entertained and fed.  Seeing his beautiful face just makes everything okay. Whatever I cried about last night, it doesn't seem to be as important. He looks surprised to see me as well.

"Hi, baby! What did you do today? Are you enjoying the pretty view?"

His ears perk up.

Photobucket

"And you've been such a good boy. You've been handling the move pretty well. You let me ride you, brush your hair and clean your hooves.  I even saw you exercising yourself when I got back.  What a smart boy!"

All of a sudden, he jumps up on all fours. At first, I thought he was going to huff at me again. But he has a serene look on his face.  Then I realize that he's excited about being praised!! He's just over the moon with all of the positive things I had to say.  Well, what do you know? He listens, and he responds to encouragement. Way to go, Mr. Nunu!

"Something in your eyes
Makes me wanna lose myself
Makes me wanna lose myself
In your arms
There's something in your voice,
Makes my heart beat fast
Hope this feeling lasts
The rest of my life"


Photobucket

"I'm so proud of you. You have no idea how grateful I am to have you in my life. You're all I have right now." I whisper softly.  
For the first time, I can feel the love and trust radiate from within him. He closes his eyes as he savors the warmth of my hands. 

We are connected. 

"If you knew how lonely 

My life has been
And how long I've been so alone
And if you knew how
I wanted someone 

To come along
And change my life

The way you've done
It feels like home to me
It feels like home to me"


*Copyright 2011 Lyn C.S.*
--------------------------------------------------

"Feels Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk
Video by: Monique1203

10 comments:

  1. Benjamin is pretty cute! And I love the song "Feels Like Home". It was in "My Sister's Keeper" during a very emotional scene.

    Southern boys and twangy accents are so smexy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, Benjamin, on the other hand, I thought was cute despite the beard. When I first saw him, I was like...Who is that? Is he married? EA did a good job with him. ANd I love his tats!

    I love "Feels Like Home" too, Chantal Kreviazuk is amazing. I agree, there's definitely something about southern boys. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY CRAP THAT HORSE JUMPED UP!! Girl I would have ran! LOL I mean it was sweet and all but it really is a "beast" and something THAT large and heavy going up in the air would NOT be coming back down near me! Can you imagine had that 2 ton thing landed on her ass? INSTANT DEATH! Ok maybe that's an exaggeration but you get the picture!

    He's so cute though :P I haven't had time to really play with the horses but soon I'll see them I suppose.

    I agree with Lyn, beards are usually a turn off, but his was not bad and neither was he. Cutie with a booty and I lol'd as she pictured him shirtless as 9 times out of 10 that's what my perv mind is doing too. Um...yeah...TMI? No of course not.

    The ex is a major issue for me. I know he tried calling her twice when she was heading out in the cab but if he cared as much as he led her to believe I have to wonder if he is trying to make contact with her.

    P.S. Tell Lyn to break something in the house and use that business card. Let's see if the tattooed repairman shows up shirtless and with a smile huh? Huh? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

    K bye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEK!! Another long comment! Okay, seriously Daijahv, I hope you like my story enough to stick around because now you got me addicted to your comments. I just love reading them, they make me even more motivated to make the next update better! Just to get feedback from you. lol

    OMG, you crack me up. XD I didn't think of Mr. Nunu's size when he jumped up and he could have possibly crushed her to death. I was so engrossed in how cute he was being praised that I didn't think about his 2-ton body. There's no question that it can lead to instant death, I agree. Death by horse. Bahaha that would be funny. Oh wait...it's not supposed to be. lol

    So you ARE pervy and demented like me!! I try not to show it through my character (which now I wish wasn't my simself because it's weird talking about her in the third person lol) but she managed to sneak these little naughty thoughts now and then. TMI?? Girly, there's no such thing! The more juicy, the better. Haha! I find any excuse to forgoe the shirt on my male characters, especially when they're hot. Hot to me at least.

    You will find out if her ex has been trying to contact her. She disconnected her Bridgeport number, so it's hard to tell if he did or not. Bahaha you crack me up. That's not a bad idea! Somehow I keep having that image in my head. He shows up shirtless at her door with a smile, saying "I'm here to taking care of your plumbing needs, maam." *Bow chicka wow wow* XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Maybe he can fix my heart." such a powerful line! I love the way you write, it kinda reminds me of how I write sometimes, and I love it!
    So did Lyn loose the baby or did she have an abortion so protect her career goals? I could see why seeing the woman struck a nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh what a huge compliment since you're a brilliant writer!! I read your prologue for "Golden Flames" and it was amazing. I'm looking forward to following your story!

    Those are some very good questions, and they will be answered in the coming chapters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Ben, *wiggles eyebrows* you're good with your hands huh?
    Dozer was sooooo cute! Leave it to a small cute little thing to be so reckless and tearing things up! Mr. Nunu is warming up to her nicely! :) Things are really looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahahaha you're just as bad as Daijah!! She's all telling me to make her spill her drink on her shirt, that way they'll both have to undress. lol Gotta love her! Yeah, Ben looks like he'd be good with his hands. XD

    I know, right?? I heard this big growl and I'm all thinking, on crap, it's going to be a rottweiler. And it turns out to be a little runt!

    I agree, it's nice to see Mr. Nunu bonding with her. She can really use that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh a love interest perhaps?The 3 guys in the last chapter not so much but maybe her luck is changing!~.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, Benjamin the repairman. She can always have fun with him. xD I agree, the guys in the saloon really weren't her type. But she can always become friends with Kenji.

      Delete