Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chapter Three (A Beautiful Morning)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 2 (Goodbye To Love)
-I decided to get on a cab and move to Appaloosa Plains instead.
-I bought a beautiful horse named Mr. Nunu.
-After circling the town in another cab, I found a beautiful ranch up for sale.
-On impulse, I decided to buy it.
-While eating dinner, I started thinking about my life in Bridgeport and "him".
-To ease my loneliness, I visited Mr. Nunu in his stable.
-When I tried to give him a treat, he huffed at me.
-We survived our first night together in Appaloosa Plains.

Photobucket

Location: 
1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Friday, 10/21/11
Time: 6:45 a.m.


I am awoken by the morning light creeping through the window. It hurts my eyes, making me hiss like a vampire. Normally I leave the curtains closed and sleep in, but something about this particular morning made me want to leap out of bed. Even though I could still use a few more hours of sleep. Wow, I can't believe I'm in this new town. In a new house. This is insane. Long gone are the high rises and noisy traffic that greet me in the morning. This time, it's....pure, utter...silence. It's soooo quiet.  Almost too quiet.

I peek out from my bedroom window, and I am greeted by a breathtaking symphony of blue, orange, yellow and pink in the sky. I can see the hills, surrounded by a lake. In this quiet morning, I can actually hear the pounding of my heart as I take in this gift from nature.  I'm alive to see this. My heart swells in joy at this view. A view that I get to wake up to everyday.

But my sunny disposition doesn't last that long.  Flashbacks of yesterdays' events bombard me, and anger takes over.  No!! I'm not going to let that ruin my morning!  I scream at my own thoughts, pushing the negative memories out of my mind.
 
Photobucket

"Ain't no sense in staying inside
If the weather's fine
And you got the time
It's your chance to wake up
And plan another brand new day
Either way
It's a beautiful morning"


I decide to check out the town since it's a nice day.  With the changing color of the leaves and cool autumn breeze coming in, I'm excited to see what this small town has in store.  Hopping on the truck that the previous owners left behind, I pass through downtown Appaloosa.This is the town cafe/grocery store called Darris Teeter Grocery And The Koffi Cafe. I didn't get a chance to go in but I'm amused at the fact that there's only one grocery store in town.  But I guess I can't complain because I'm the one that moved here.

Photobucket

On the way, I stop by the local hospital called Wolfson's Hospital and Research Facility.  Hopefully I can find a job soon, even if I have to take a paycut since I'm not a resident anymore.  Oh crap.  My job in Bridgeport.  I'll have to call them eventually and explain why I haven't been showing up.  But not just yet.  I'll deal with them later.  I still need to get a bit established here before I feel comfortable finding a new job and leaving the animals at home.

Photobucket

Location: 37 Eucalyptus Drive

Time: 3:17 p.m.

I was thinking about adopting a dog from the shelter to keep me company, but I came across a house that's putting up animals for adoption. It's a ranch close to my neighborhood.  When I approach the front door, this adorable dog the color of an oreo cookie comes out.  He wags his tail when we make eye contact, welcoming me to his humble abode.  He must be used to people coming in and out.  Most dogs bark when they see a strange person near their house, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Photobucket

My first baby horse sighting! He is just too precious for words. I don't know what these things are called. A fawn? Calf? I have no clue. You can tell I haven't been around farm animals.

Photobucket

A lady approaches me, carrying a toddler.

"Hello." She greets, smiling behind weary eyes that probably haven't had a full night's sleep in years.  Her son quietly watches me as he clings to his mother.

"Hi there. I saw your adoption ad on the internet. Would you mind if I take a look?"

"Not at all. I'm Wilma Fox. Thank you for coming."

"Nice to meet you, Wilma. I'm Lyn."

"Feel free to look at the stable. Make yourself at home." She smiles as she walks away. 


Photobucket

Suddenly, this gorgeous caramel-colored cutie comes up to me with big brown eyes. She looks hungry, so I get the sudden urge to feed her.

"Hi sweetie. It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you."

To my surprise, she responds quite well and takes the bottle.  I have never experienced anything like this.  It warms my battered heart that something as simple as feeding a baby horse can bring me such happiness.  Her eyes are so innocent and trusting, it almost infuriates me that someone can mistreat an animal.

 I think I can get used to this life.

*Copyright 2011 Lyn C.S.*
---------------------------------------------------

"It's A Beautiful Morning" by Rascals
Video by: daemuzik


8 comments:

  1. Willow is super cute! I love the foal interactions in the game. Apaloosa Plains looks so nice. I haven't been able to explore it yet but maybe after my legacy...

    Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I know, I was bummed when I couldn't take Willow home. She was just adorable. She's probably fully grown now.

    Yes, you should definitely play Appaloosa Plains. It's a beautiful town.

    Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lol'd at the way she gave her job in Bridgeport a second thought and "oh crap" HAHA

    That was beautiful. It looks as though the animals are doing a wonderful job with distracting her from the pain she is in! She'll have to realize soon though that you can't escape your problems simply by running away! I just hope it doesn't come back in a bad way and bite her!

    I'm getting so distracted by your writing I forgot that I was uploaded pictures HAHA oops...I'll be back to read more! I am so loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Daijahv you crack me up. I love how you notice the little things in the story, you make updates worth keeping up with!! I love it! XD Thanks for your enthusiasm!

    Yes, the animals are definitely a nice distraction for her, and I think they are also giving her a sense of peace that she desperately needs. After all that she's been through, being surounded by the kind and trusting eyes of animals will help her slow down and appreciate life a little more.

    You're right though, running away from your problems won't solve them...unless that's the only alternative to suicide. Then it's the lesser of two evils. Awww, I didn't mean to distract you! I'm very happy that you're following my story though, and I look forward to hearing more from you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyn seems very happy now! I'm happy for her! Being in this new place has opened her up to the animal lover in her! :) I hope the good things keep on rolling in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, it's so great to see you cheering for her. :-) I agree, she does seem to be finding that peace of mind that she's been seeking and being around animals provides that for her. Also the natural landscape and simple life is helping her to slow down and smell the roses, sort of speak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grew up in the country in a little sleepy town in Tennessee.My uncle did,and still does raise quarter horses,this so made me miss them days.I'm glad Lyms' taking to the life=).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, that's awesome that you got to experience the country life. I grew up in California, and I didn't really appreciate the quieter life until hubby and I moved to Florida. It was definitely a culture shock but now we love it. lol

      And OMG, I had no idea I'd love collared greens and sweet tea so much!

      Delete