Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chapter Four (Just The Two Of Us)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 3 (A Beautiful Morning)
-Upon being awoken by the beautiful sunrise, I was glad to be alive.
-I decided to check out the town.
-I passed by the local hospital but didn't feel ready to get a job yet.
-The Fox family had pets up for adoption, so I was able to meet the beautiful animals in their ranch.
-I got to experience bottle-feeding a foal for the first time.


Photobucket


Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Saturday, 10/22/11
Time: 8:30 a.m.


The next morning, I try to get over my disappointment of not being able to take Willow home. I wanted her, the same way I wanted Mr. Nunu and the ranch when I first saw them. She's so adorable with her big brown eyes and caramel color, and she would have made a great companion for this beast. She's a girl and a baby. If he has problems getting along with her then maybe he has some serious psychological issues.

Back in Bridgeport, I would have already been doing my rounds at the hospital. Here in Appaloosa Plains, I am staring at a large bale of hay. I guess I'll have to spread it out if I don't want the beast to starve. After 10 minutes of pulling and dragging, I feel exhausted. My body starts to feel warm, and little beads of sweat begin to appear on my skin.  


Holy shit, this is a lot of work!! How do farm people do this everyday?

Photobucket

I've never brushed a horse before. I cautiously approach the beast as calmly as possible so I don't make him nervous. Surprisingly, he doesn't budge when the brush makes contact with his body. After he huffed at me the other night, I learned to respect his space. Gently, I brush his underside until all of the loose hair comes out, and his coat feels nice and soft. Being this close to him, the reality of his size and presence start to sink in. He is massive, and his head is at least a foot taller than me.

"You're a good boy, yes you are. You look so handsome with your hair brushed!" I whisper, feeling a sense of peace as I he lets me explore his body. Brushing a horse's hair is definitely different from brushing a dog's hair. There must be a certain level of trust for it to be possible.

"I see the crystal raindrops fall
And the beauty of it all
When the sun comes shining through
To make those rainbows in my mind
When I think of you some time
And I want to spend some time with you"


Photobucket

With his developing trust in me, I seize this moment by cupping his face with my hands. Softly, I trace the contour of his cheeks, muzzle and forehead. He seems to like it since he's standing still, slightly leaning towards me.

"That's a good boy, Mr. Nunu. I love how calm you are. Thank you for letting me brush you."

Photobucket

Feeling confident, I also use this opportunity to clean his hooves.

"Mr. Nunu, see where my face is? Please don't let one go."

Photobucket

"
See, that wasn't so bad, was it? You are such a good horsie, yes you are! You were such a good boy while I was cleaning you. Yes you were!" I coo, feeling so proud of myself that I didn't get gassed out, doo-doo bombed or kicked in the face.

He looks pleased as well. 


Wow, I just groomed a horse!

Photobucket

"I'll take care of you. Don't you worry." I whisper in his ear.  
Hearing that, he lets me touch his face...just a little bit longer. 

"Just the two of us
We can make it if we try
Just the two of us
Just the two of us
Building castles in the sky
Just the two of us
You and I"


Photobucket

To get him used to me as a handler, I walk around with him on lead.  He hasn't shown any sign of distress after 10 minutes. Taking a deep breath, I try to mount him again.

Photobucket

So far, so good. I have to remind myself that trust can't be rushed. So I just let him have free rein to help him feel comfortable with me on his back.

 "Poor thing, all that walking must have made you thirsty." I gently run my hand along his graceful back.

It's really cool to ride a horse and watch him drink. An animal must suppress his instincts just to accommodate a human riding his back and bossing him around. It truly is amazing how intelligent and trusting they can be.

Photobucket

As Mr. Nunu eats his breakfast, I savor the magnificent view of my own backyard. They say money can't buy happiness, but it can certainly buy a sense of ownership. Feeling his muscles under my leg, I feel one with the beast as I stand tall, scanning the landscape. I am a part of this land, and the land is a part of me. Right now, at this moment, this is why I came to Appaloosa Plains. To take ownership of my own life. To finally regain control of my own destiny.

I can only imagine what the pioneers must have felt when they saw this very same view. The vast space of rolling hills and flowing lakes.

Photobucket

Sadly, I can't even control my own balance when I dismount. 

Alright, that's it. I'm signing up for riding lessons.


*Copyright 2011 Lyn C.S.*
---------------------------------------------------------

"Just The Two Of Us" by Bill Withers

Video by: kaattz

8 comments:

  1. "Please don't let one go." Bahahaha...

    I don't even live in the city and I can't imagine what a cultural shock this must be for her! Still, I think she's doing pretty well for herself.

    *leaving to get caught up*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha can you imagine what the smell would have been like if he did?? Good lord. O.O

    Yes, she's definitely experiencing some culture shock. But compared to what she was about to do on that bridge, she's just glad to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Analyzing the "psychological issues" of her horse but she keeps referring to him as a beast? HAHA.

    "Mr. Nunu, see where my face is? Please don't let one go." !!! My thoughts exactly.

    It was nice watching them bond. He does appear to be getting much more comfortable with her around. I'm surprised at how adjusted he is with his surroundings too!

    The last two shots were awesome! I LOVED the one with the view and the last was comedy gold LOL. She should invest in a step ladder and lead Nunu to it so she can get off and on until she's more comfortable LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Daijahv, I have to say I LOVE your comments!! You manage to find new ways for me to look at my story. I didn't even see the irony of the "beast" reference unti you mentioned it. XD I'm getting the feeling that you are just as demented as I am. lol You are the first one to make the same obsservation about where Mr. Nunu's butt was.

    I agree, he's feeling more comfortable with her.
    After the way he huffed at her the first night, she learned to respect his space and to be more careful around him. It seems to be working.

    Awww, thank you, I'm glad you loved the last two shots! I'm trying to portray my character as graceful and classy, but her dorky side manages to come out. XD I know, right? Tht's not a bad idea. Who needs riding lessons when you can get a step ladder for 10 bucks? lol

    Thanks again for reading and leaving feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahaha "Please don't let one go." Perfect! and my foreshadowing tells me this riding instructor will be hot! (I hope!lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teheehe!! My corrupted mind won't let me hide that kind of thought when a horse is in that position. And he has a HUGE butt!

    Oooh foreshadowing that the riding instructor is going to be hot! Me likey! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing he didn't let one got! HAHA! I was nervous for her! He seems to really be warming u to her now! That view was beautiful!

    Bill Withers! That song always makes me cry! So simple yet so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahaha she would probably die if he did. Mr. Nunu looks like he would let a powerful one go, too, with his big butt. I know, I was nervous too when she started brushing him. He's so massive, and one kick to her head would be the end of her. Thank you, AP is gorgeous. It's the perfect place to enjoy nature.

    OMG, Bill Withers is one of my favorite artists. He's a musical genius with the voice from heaven. Have you ever heard "Hello Like Before"? OMG, I just about swoon everytime I hear it. It's so hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete