Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chapter Twenty-Six (Secret Garden)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 25 (Dreaming With A Broken Heart)
-Lyn's absence affected Brad greatly, making him turn to liquor for comfort.
-He didn't feel lonely until he found himself alone in the condo, with remnants of her still everywhere.
-He loved Lyn but he was becoming restless, his need for novelty hampering his ability to stay committed.
-He believed that she became too demanding of his time, and no matter what he did, she didn't seem happy.
-That day that he caught her kissing Luke led to him have sex with Naveah in the bathroom stall of a bar.
-He invited Luke over and told him what happened.
-Instead, Luke was so enraged that he nearly killed him.
-Luke decided to take Nikki back to Lyn, leaving Brad to writhe in pain, all by himself.

*Strong language*

Photobucket

Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Saturday, 10/29/11
Time: 11:11 a.m.

As I browse for job positions online, there are only two available at the local hospital: clerical and Certified Nurse Assistant.  I know I can't be too picky at this point, but neither of those positions are very appealing to me right now.  With my current savings, I'll be able to take care of the mortgage and bills for the next six months, but I also know I need to start working soon.  Before running into Brad a few days ago, I had a small glimmer of hope that my stay in Appaloosa will only be temporary.  But after the vivid flashbacks of what he and my sister did, Bridgeport is not an option anymore.  I need to give this city a chance.  I need to start building a life here.  I need to find a new purpose besides being in a relationship with a guy, hoping he'll bring me happiness.  I found that, and look where it got me.  

Then I get this crazy idea.  What if I try something different?  What if I explore another career?  Something tells me to visit the Appaloosa Plains School District website, just for the heck of it.  I've never taught in my life, nor am I certified to teach a subject, but I do know that I love helping children.  I have worked with them before in the children's unit, and it warms my heart when I can put a smile on their face, or when I'm able to take their pain away.  I remember the sparkle in David's eyes when he talked about becoming a teacher.  Maybe I can have that same passion.  Hmm...David.  I wonder how he's doing?  I was such a bitch to him last time.  

To my surprise, there is one instructional position available at Appaloosa Plains Public School.    They're looking for a Science teacher to teach at the high school level.  High school? Are you kidding me?? They'll eat me alive!  I can already see them now: hormonal smartasses with attitude for days.  It also appears that the position has been open for over two months now.  What happened?  Why would a teacher leave in the middle of the year, and why haven't they been able to find a replacement? The thought of teaching those kids terrify me even more, and for a moment, it makes me want to beg for my old job back in Bridgeport.  Did I really go through all these years of med school, become a resident, only to end up teaching Science to high school kids?  As scared shitless as I am of the concept, I am strangely drawn to the challenge.  After filling out the application and attaching a copy of my resume and other necessary documents, there is only one thing left to do.  Submit my application.  Now I nervously wait.

The doorbell rings.  Who could that be? I'm not expecting anyone.  The maid is already inside the house, so it can't be him.  Oh, God.  Please don't tell me it's Brad.  My heart races at the thought of him showing up unannounced.  

Photobucket

Oh my God, it's Luke!!! How did he find me??  Just seeing his smiling face makes me emotional, and it takes every bit of self-control not to lose my composure in front of him.  It feels so good to see a familiar face again, and of all people that I could ask for, it's Luke.  For the first time since I left Bridgeport, it feels like everything is going to be okay.  I don't feel so alone in this strange town.  It's as if someone sensed my loneliness and heard my prayers because here he is, standing at my door.  Call me crazy, but I swear it feels like Superman came to my rescue.  He always seems to know when I'm in desperate need of a friend. And just when I think it can't get any better, I see Nikki right next to him, looking up at me with her tail wagging endlessly.  My Nikki!!  I start jumping for joy, my excitement knows no bounds.  I pinch myself, thinking this is all a dream, but it's very real. 

"She'll let you in her house
If you come knockin' late at night
She'll let you in her mouth
If the words you say are right
If you pay the price
She'll let you deep inside
But there's a secret garden

She hides"

Photobucket

"I can't believe you're here!!" I squeal as I run into his arms, squeezing him tight.  I'm afraid that if I let go, he'll vanish, and I'll wake up all alone on my bed, in the dark.  The warmth of his strong arms enveloping me feels like heaven wrapped in a soft blanket, making me feel so secure and protected.  I can feel how hard his chest is against mine as the masculine, earthy scent of his cologne teases my pulse, stirring up longings that I've tried to avoid in the last two years.

"I know.  It's so good to see you!" His warm breath brushes against my neck, making me squeeze my eyes shut just to hide the shivers crawling down my shoulders.

Photobucket

"How did you find me??" I fnally find the courage to look in his pale, emerald green eyes.  The  last time I saw them was that day we kissed.  Just thinking about it makes me blush, knowing he's here now, right in front of me.  

"You want the truth?" He grins nervously, as if he did something bad.  It makes me even more curious.  The only other person that knows where I live is Brad.  Wait..unless...

Photobucket

"Brad told me what happened.  So I got pissed, beat him up and took Nikki." A twinkle flashes across his eye, as if he didn't have a choice in the matter.

"Oh my God, you beat him up??" I gasp, silently savoring the thought of that motherfucker writhing in pain.  Gosh, just when I think Luke can't get any hotter, he whoops Brad's ass and brings Nikki back to me.  My Superman.  He really did come to save the day!  

"Yeah.  Bad." He nods, as if he was glad I wasn't there to see it.

"How bad?" I bite my lower lip as I squeeze his shoulders, my eyes locked with his.  

"Let's just say...I almost killed him." He shakes his head in shame.

"Oh, Luke!! Is he okay?" I giggle, loving the fact that he's not afraid to make someone his bitch.  Damn, that's hot!!

"He's fine." 

Photobucket

"Hey pretty girl, I missed you!!" I smile as Nikki bathes my face with her warm, slobbery tongue.  I felt so awful for leaving her behind that I honestly thought I was never going to see her again.  The week or so without her has been harder than I thought.  There were many nights when I wished she was right next to me in bed, but she wasn't, and it just killed me inside.  Even though I didn't have any luck finding another dog, I'm relieved now.  Who would have thought she would come back to me? And this is all because of Luke.

Photobucket

"Did you miss mommy? Hmm?? Have you been a good girl? I thought I lost you!" I cup her beautiful face in my hands as I find the warmth in her brown eyes.  She smiles as she listens intently to every word, her tail wagging fiercely.  Now I have someone to keep me company in this house.  I can even take her with me wherever I go.  As much as I love Mr. Nunu and as grateful as I am to have found him, having Nikki around just makes my life feel a little more complete.  Even though she's a reminder of what I used to share with Brad, she's also what got me through my loneliness towards the end of our relationship.  When Brad wasn't around, Nikki was always there by my side, loving me no matter what and kissing my tears away.

Photobucket

"Are you hungry?" I ask as he follows me into the kitchen.  That long drive must have worked up his appetite, and it's almost noon.

"A little." He grabs one of the bar stools.

"Are hotdogs okay?" 

"I'll eat anything." 

"Haha.  Not very picky, are you?" I chuckle as I take the hotdogs out of the fridge.  He'll eat anything. Damn.  My mind wanders into a dirty place.  The way he said it...  Or am I just a perv?  I can feel his gaze behind me, making me nervous all of a sudden, like he's watching my every move.  

Photobucket

"How was the drive?" I briefly look at him as I split the buns in half.

"It was good.  Not much traffic.  I made sure Nikki went to the bathroom before we left." 

"Awww, that's good.  It's so cute seeing you guys together." It's strange but Nikki and Luke together...it makes sense somehow.  Brad was good with Nikki, but I always felt like the main caretaker because he was hardly around. 

"Well, Nikki is a charmer.  My brother Jake didn't want to let her go.  I think I know where she gets it from." 

"Haha.  Who?"

"You.  Just like her mom." He smiles, intently watching my face.

I can feel my cheeks turn crimson.  Oh dear...

"You know, you're the first person I cooked for in this house." I change the subject, hoping to divert his attention away from me.

"Oooh, I feel special." He rubs his hands together in excitement.

Photobucket

"Mmm...this is really good, Lyn." He murmurs as he devours half a hot dog in one bite.  For a moment I'm hypnotized by the way his mouth moves, as if he hasn't eaten in days.  Mmm...a fireman with a huge appetite.  I can see him doing grueling work-outs without a shirt, dripping in sweat, just reeking of pure manliness.  Then he comes home and inhales a huge steak, licking his fingers like he just ravaged a woman until she passed out.  

"I'm glad you like it." I shift my focus on my own plate as I take another bite.

"This is a nice place you have here."  He looks around, examining his surroundings.

"Thank you.  An elderly couple used to live here but they died.  I found out this house was for sale the day I moved here."

"Wow, that's crazy.  The very same day?"

"Yeah.  And you know what's crazier? Before I found the house, I bought a horse that same day.  It turns out that he used to belong to the previous owners."

"Damn.  It's like they chose you or something." His eyes widen in shock.

"You know, that's the same thing that my neighbor said.  She thinks it's fate."

"Maybe you're connected to them in some way but you just don't know it."

Photobucket

"You think so?" I'm even more intrigued.  I love stories like this, when things seem to be destined.

"You never know.  What are the chances of something like that happening on the same day you move into a strange town?" He takes his last bite. "
You wanna hear something strange?"

"What, what??"

"I feel very comfortable here.  Like I've been here before." 

"Okay, Luke, you're creeping me out." I feel goosebumps travel up my arms.  What's even stranger is that he may be on to something.  Him being here...feels right.  It makes sense, like he was supposed to be here all along.  I start pondering if...we knew each other in a past life.  Even the idea that we are both connected to this house.  Is it possible? Could we have known each other before?  There's something about him, his presence, his energy...that makes everything okay, despite the mess that's going on in my life.  

"Sorry.  It was just a crazy idea." He shrugs as he picks up the empty plates on the table.

"No, don't do that! You're my guest!" I reach for the plates but he takes a hold of my hand.

"You made lunch.  At least let me get the dishes." The intensity of his gaze stops me in my tracks as he squeezes my hand.

"Um...okay..." I stammer as he lets my hand go, making me forget what I was protesting about.

Photobucket

Just when I enter the dining room to put the leftovers away, I catch a glimpse of him in front of the sink.  The way he's standing there, scraping the crumbs off the plates before placing them in the dishwasher, just stirs an indescribable feeling inside.  There's something sexy but kind about his gesture.  He wants to wash dishes because I made lunch when he's the one that just came from a long trip.  I can't find the words to explain what he's doing to me.  The only other time I felt like this was when I watched him selflessly and courageously put out that fire in the Bridgeport condo, saving five lives, including my own.

"You've gone 

A million miles
How far'd you get
To that place where

You can't remember
And you can't forget"


Photobucket

Here we are, all alone in this big house.  Since we met, we've always had to keep our distance because I was in a relationship with his best friend.  I even went as far as avoiding him in the last two years because of the inexplicable attraction I felt for him, even when I was with Brad. But now...Brad's not in the picture anymore.  What's going to stop us from giving in to our desires? This scares me even more.  Luke has been a great friend, and as much as I would love to jump his ass on the couch, he's the only thing that makes sense in my life right now.  I don't want to lose that.

Watching him flopped on the couch, with his eyes glued to the sports channel reminds me that he's not exactly a girlfriend that I can cry about my problems with over frozen margaritas and butter pecan ice cream.  He's a man.  A very hot man that I'm having filthy thoughts about.

Photobucket

"So how long will you be in town?" I ask nervously, hoping he'll be here for a while.  Even though he's only been here for a few hours, he's already taking my loneliness away.

"It depends on how long you need me here." 

"You can stay as long as you want." I hold my breath as I meet his eyes.

"Don't say that." He laughs.

"Why?"

"I may never leave." 

Photobucket

"Then don't leave." I challenge him as I watch the coy smile on his face.

"Haha.  Well, I told my dad that I'll be here for a few days."

"How many?"

"No more than three."

"That's it?? That's too short---" I stop myself before I sound even more desperate and needy.  What is wrong with me?? Why am I begging him to stay?  He has a life in Bridgeport, how can I expect him to just drop it at my request?

"I'll see if I can stay longer." He grins, his eyes brimming with excitement.

"Yayy!! Thank you!!" I clap my hands, squealing in delight.

Photobucket

Later that night, he asks to see Mr. Nunu.  The only other person that's met him is David, during the riding lesson.  Within ten minutes, my beast warmed up to him and happily followed him around on lead.  If Mr. Nunu likes Luke right away, I'm in big trouble.  If he has the ability to win the hearts of my beloved animals, I will be putty in his hands.

"This is my beast, Mr. Nunu." I proudly introduce him to Luke.  

"Wow, he's a beauty." His jaw drops as he holds his hand out to be sniffed.  

"Thank you.  Nunu means beautiful in Hawaiian." 

"I like that. I can see why you had to take him home."

Photobucket

"You're a good boy, Mr. Nunu.  You've been keeping your mom company, huh?" Luke whispers into his ear as the beast happily listens.  The way he says "mom" when he refers to me...makes me feel even more warm and maternal.  I start to imagine what it would be like...if I was carrying his baby instead.  I can see him listening to my belly as I get fat, rubbing my feet when they swell and running to the store to get butter pecan ice cream when I get cravings. Just the thought takes my breath away.  Wait, why am I thinking like this??

"First Nikki, now Mr. Nunu? You certainly have a way with them!" 

"I can't help it.  They're so easy to love." He gently strokes Mr. Nunu's face.

Photobucket

Luke follows me to the stable as I put Mr. Nunu in his pen.  After checking to make sure he has enough hay and water, I latch the gate close.  This is usually a private moment between my beast and I, sort of like tucking him in at night.  After all, he's all I had when I moved to this town.  Letting Luke see this is like letting him into a world I have worked hard to protect as he slowly becomes a part of the life that I'm building here.

"Goodnight, sweetie.  Sweet dreams, okay? Mommy loves you." I kiss his beautiful face, feeling even more vulnerable knowing that Luke heard and saw all of it.

Photobucket

"Goodnight, buddy.  I'll see you tomorrow." He caresses his muzzle ever so gently, with the most loving voice.  My heart melts at the way he treats my fur babies, as if they are his own, as if he has raised them with me from the beginning.  As thrilled as I am to see all of this, a part of me is still afraid to get too close and trust completely.  Brad started out very attentive and caring in the beginning, swept me off my feet, made me fall hopelessly in love with him.  Look what happened.  He ended up sleeping with my sister and destroying my heart.  He took a part of me that I may never get back.  

"The lake is really beautiful at night. You wanna go?" I ask, trying not to let the negative memories of  Brad ruin Luke's visit.  

"Right now?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, let's go!"

Photobucket

"She'll let you in her car
To go drivin' round
She'll let you into

The parts of herself
That'll bring you down
Shell let you in her heart
If you got a hammer and a vise
But into her secret garden

Don't think twice"


*Copyright 2012 Lyn C.S.*
---------------------------------------------

"Secret Garden" by Bruce Springsteen

Video by: BruceSpringsteenVEVO

48 comments:

  1. Intense seems to be my new favourite word, but that is the best description I can think of. Brad is a goner - bye bye Brad. I hope she gets her thoughts together and heals a little. She has some demons to deal with before she can commit herself wholeheartedly I think. Maybe she and Luke will just take time and get to know each other better. She has a lot ahead of her. Great update :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zhippidy, I'm glad you enjoyed this update! LOL I like the word intense. I had no idea this chapter came off that way, especially compared to the last one with Luke and Brad's confrontation. This one felt more mellow, but maybe it's the conflicting feelings brewing underneath that makes it seem intense.

      Haha I like how you said "bye bye Brad". Gosh, it makes it feel so final, like he lost her for good. With Luke and Lyn living in different cities, she should be able to heal once he leaves. Assuming they don't do anything while he's there. I agree, she does have some demons to deal with, and only time can determine that.

      Ideally, they would continue their frienship until she has completely grived her relationship with Brad, and she feels ready to get involved again. But who knows how long this will take. I think it wil also help if she started working again. That will help her feel more productive.

      Thanks for reading Zhippidy!

      Delete
  2. Her superman! He is there to rescue her. Lyn is still avoiding the pain but hopefully over the next few days she'll be able to let go. Keeping her clothes on while around Luke may be a problem, she's already having those naughty thoughts about him.

    I loved the way he bragged about kicking Brad's butt! That was awesome and very sexy! I hope things work out for them. They need to take things slow, let her heal but after that those two need to hook up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her Superman! It's funny how she realized that now, just when we found out that she's Luke's Lois Lane. lol But it makes sense. He has loved her from afar and always seemed to know when she needed a friend, and was always there for her. Then he came to her rescue by defending her honor, beating Brad up and returning Nikki. Without expecting anything.

      I agree, she's still avoiding the pain but I think she just needs time to get used to Luke's presence. I think she's overwhelmed by her attraction for him, and she's still guarded. When she's ready, she'll open up and let Luke in. Haha yeah, there's the issue with trying not to pounce on him too. She's so vulnerable right now, and the temptation to use sex as an emotional release is high.

      Hehe well, she did ask how he found her, and he told the truth. But I think he just wanted to make her feel better, after all she's been through. Yes, they need to take this slow if they want a chance of making it work. In due time, and if it's meant to be, they'll realize it.

      Thanks for reading, Jaz!

      Delete
  3. How adorable! You do realize that when Luke calls his dad and asks if it's a problem if he stays a bit longer he'll say 'Not at all. You could use some time off' just because daddy's already imagining 4 Grandkids with Lyn the mystery girl in his boy's life.
    The path they're on (no, not the way to the lake, sheesh) is getting them there (again, No, not the lake, ayayay). These two look good together, I'll keep repeating it, till I'm satisfied.

    The lake huh, screams romantic setting, screams intense make-out session, screams hot fire-man-sex under the stars, planned or spur of the moment. Doesn't matter, it screams it.

    Now I scream: MORE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Jean-Marie, you crack me up!! Wow, 4 grandkids?? Damn, that's a houseful of babies! But I can totally see it though, especially when Luke has 2 brothers and Lyn started seeing herself being pregnant with Luke's baby. He'll probably want a big family. And I'm pretty sure he won't mind the practice. lol

      Bahahaha look at you, already imagining them going at it in the car and the lake! Although I can totally see them imagining it but keeping it to themselves. And as tempted as I am to just let them pounce on each other underneath the stars, it just might be too soon. Thank you, I think they look together too. But I also think she looks good with Brad. Arrghh!!

      Damn, you're already thinking intense make-out sessions and hot-firema-sex under the stars?? There's definitely going to be a lot of screaming if that happened. Aaaak JM, you are so tempting me right now!! xD

      Haha "MORE!!!!!" is what Lyn will definitely be screaming if Luke had his way with her! xD He's been craving her for two years. ;-)

      Thanks for reading, Jean-Marie!

      Delete
  4. Luke is something else! There is something about a man that talks to animals that is heartwarming and very sexy. I agree so much with Lyn! Especially her thinking toward the end. Brad was all of that which Luke is and he led her to a broken heart. While he is a good guy and should not be punished for another man's wrong doings, shes right to be cautious of him and that constant pull to him.

    I am in love with this pair and want them to make it! He'd be so good for her! Superman and Lois Lane. *hopeless romantic sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qui, I agree, there is definitely something about a man that loves animals and knows how to talk to them. It shows that they have a very gentle and calm nature that animals trust. It's definitely sexy, especially if you're thinking long-term, like children. Lyn is the type of girl that will fall head-over-heals in love if she thinks she found the right guy. But after what happened with Brad, she's more concerned about protecting her heart. It's unfortunate because Luke is a great guy, that's the state she's in right now.

      She is definitely drawn and attracted to him, which makes it even harder for her to stay platonic towards him. Luke needs to be strong because if anything is going to happen, it will most likely be initiated by Lyn. If he really understands what's best for her, he'll pry her off if he has to. And that's going to take a great deal of self-control.

      Awwww, thanks Qui, I'm so glad you want them to make it. I do too, but the timing has to be right. I agree, Luke would be so good for her. Sighh...Superman and Lois Lane. *hopeless romantic sigh*. I'm right there with you! xD

      Thanks for reading, Qui!

      Delete
  5. Luke is just wonderful! I think he is giving her what she needs right now! I can understand her caution though.

    I just love them together!

    Another great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisies, I'm so glad you enjoyed this chapter! Awww, so you think Luke is wonderful? He needs to show her that good men are still out there, and they shouldn't be punished for what Brad did. If he can exhibit enough self-control to keep his hands off her during his visit, he will be helping her heal, and they will be much better off as a result. The last thing he needs is to be the rebound guy.

      But with the attraction that they have for eacho ther, on top of being alone in the house for a few days, it's going to be very challenging.

      Thanks for reading, Daisies!

      Delete
  6. "he's not exactly a girlfriend that I can cry about my problems with over frozen margaritas and butter pecan ice cream"

    This made me grin. :D

    It's crazy how much Lyn is changing her life. A teacher? That's so crazy, after she worked so hard to be a doctor. But maybe she wants to start completely over with anything that reminds her of Brad. That and, I wouldn't take a CNA job if I was a doctor either. ;)

    Luke is soooo hot, it's not even fair! I want a real-life clone of him lol. He's so great for Lyn. I still really hope they take it slow, as much as they both want to take a few steps further. I'm glad Lyn realizes she really needs a friend and nothing more right now. Someday though.

    This was a super cute update. :)

    --Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I know, she realized that when she saw him watching the sports channel on the couch. Typical guy! xD But...that doesn't mean he can't be a shoulder to cry on. The only thing is, she might do more than cry and he might do more than hold her. Things could get heated quickly if they're not careful.

      I think you may be right. She worked hard at becoming a doctor, but it was more because of Brad and proving her mom wrong. She wasn't even planning on it, but it was something that she aspired to be because Brad helped her out. So in a sense, she's trying to establish her own identity outside of Brad, as well as figure out what she really wants to do with her life. Haha yeah, nobody wants to go from a doctor to a CNA, no matter how much money they need.

      Haha Luke is definitely pulling on the charm, but in a different way than Brad. His is more about showing Lyn how much he cares, Brad's was more about sweeping her off her feet. Man, if I could make Luke real, I'd give you clone in a heartbeat! lol It has to be hard when you want someone really bad but you can't act on those feelings. I agree, it helps that Lyn realizes she needs a friend because it will be very hard for Luke to resist if she seduces him, in her own house. xD I guess we'll have to see what happens. :-)

      Thanks for reading, Ali, I'm glad you enjoyed this update!

      Delete
  7. How nice. Luke there, brings back the thoughts she had of him before, but the caution is there too. Hopefully luke can be just as cautious. Seeing him with her animals, that could bring her to him in a heartbeat, since shes so vulnerable. But I hope they take it slow, get to know each other, not run straight to the bed, like she did with brad. The story was heart warming, and yet, scary. Scary cause she might go on the rebound, heart warming if they go more slowly. They look good together, even seem to be able to talk together, but can they controll themselves, and find full happiness?
    I laughed, being a teacher, now thats scary. But to start completely over and to go a different direction sometimes helps to heal the heart, and sometimes brings real love into a persons life. Guess we see how their little trip to the lake turns out, that should be interesting. I hope in a slow friendly way, cause she needs total friendship first, love second, then a new love life.
    Excited to see the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she's so vulnerable right now. Luke is a great guy, and he's trying to be a gentleman but it's going to be hard for them to stay platonic while he's there, and they're all alone. She's already having dirty thoughts about him. lol At the same time, she gets to see how much he cares about her, and I hope she won't push him away.

      It's funny how with Brad, it was so passionate, sexual and he swept her off her feet so quickly. It was a whirlwind romance, and she didn't know what hit her. With Luke, it's the total opposite. They've had to stay way from each other because of the situation, as well as keep their attraction under control. But they've had that chemistry from the beginning, and it never went away. I think the fact that the have to keep their hands off each other makes it even worse. There's no telling how long they'll be able to control themselves.

      I agree, if she acts on her desires now, she'll be on a rebound. If she waits until the time is right and when she's ready, she could possibly have everything that she's ever dreamed of in a man. She just doesn't know it yet. And I think their passion can even be greater than what she had with Brad because it stems from a deep friendship, as well as mutual respect. On top of wait. lol

      Haha I know, right? A high school teacher. It will be a good change for her, and the challenge of working with these kids will help her see the bigger picture, and in time heal. She will also have a new purpose. Maybe in time, she'll be ready to confront her family and let them know what her sister did.

      Awww, I like your analogy: friendship first, then love, then a new love life. That's so sweet! :-)

      Thanks for reading, Jerry!

      Delete
  8. I hope Luke takes his time with her. She has been through a lot and if she just jumps into something there will be a lot emotionally prevoking their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. If he can keep his father's advice in mind, he should be able to exhibit some self-control. Especially when he knows what happened, and to what degree Brad hurt Lyn.

      The good thing is that she also realizes she needs Luke as a friend, and she doesn't to lost that.

      Thanks for reading, Kristen!

      Delete
  9. Intense and complicated. You will have to forgive me for an emotional response about the horses. Any man who loves horses is a keeper.

    I'm going to add one more thing. I love your female protagonist, but you don't use her name. Luke never says it. I went back through the chapter and no one calls her by her name. I'm thinking Rebecca and the girl who never had a name, but I don't see any reference to her by name in the comments either. So. Is that deliberate?

    and I love LOVE your shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said it once while they were having dinner. Her name is Lyn Santori though.

      Delete
    2. It's definitely a complicated situation where Lyn and Luke need to thread lightly, carefully. Despite their feelings and attraction for each other, they can't act on them, unless they're willing to risk what they could have in the future. Luke will just be the rebound guy. Haha I agree, any man that loves horses/animals is a keeper. It really shows that they have a gentle and trustworthy side.

      Daijah is right, the protagonist's name is Lyn Santori and she's actually referred to throughout the story, starting at Ch. 1 when she's running from Brad and he says, "Lyn, wait! I'm sorry!" Luke also says, "Mmmm...this is really good, Lyn" during lunch in this chapter. I think it may be because she's speaking from first person POV, so there's no need to mention her name. And it could also be because her name is short. I only have characters refer to each other by their names when it's necessary or if there's good reason.

      Most of the readers who left comments on this chapter referred to her as Lyn as well. So no, it's nothing deliberate. lol You may have just missed it because her name is so short. :-)

      Thank you so much about the shots , I'm glad you love them! That means a lot coming from you.

      Thanks for reading, S.B.!

      Delete
  10. Wouldnt it be great if they saw a unicorn!? Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tori! Yes, that would be awesome if they saw a unicorn. Even though I have no idea where to find them. lol

      Thanks for reading, Tori!

      Delete
  11. Great chapter! A teacher like her creator? Hmmm. More Luke! By the way, "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele would be a great song for this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine, I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter! Hehe yes, a teacher like her creator. I figured since she loves helping kids, might as well have her try teaching to see if she likes it. She can always go back to the medical field if it doesn't work out.

      Haha more Luke, huh? You'll see more of him in the next few chapters during his visit. Don't be surprised if you get a case of Luke overdose by the time he leaves. lol I listened to the song, and I like it! Even though it relates more to what she went through with Brad. :-)

      Thanks for reading, Kristine!

      Delete
  12. Oh my swoon. Luke's an animal lover, too? Lyn doesn't stand a chance. I love, too, all the maternal thoughts/fantasies she's having. With Brad, it seemed like she was preoccupied with the physical aspects of the relationship. But with Luke... she clearly sees him as husband/father material. (OMG, Luke would be so adorable with kids!) I can totally get why she'd be hesitant to jump right into another relationship, what with her heart still smashed to pieces, but damn, Luke is pretty much irresistible.

    Speaking of irresistible... "I'll eat anything." Ooohh Lyn and your dirty mind -- I'm right there with you, girl. Anything, Luke? wink wink, nudge nudge. If those two ever give into their urges, the sex is going to be off the chart. I can't wait :D

    I'm so happy good things are finally happening to Lyn! I can't wait for the next chapter at the beach... wonder if Luke is as willing as Brad was to get frisky in public ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh my swoon?? You're so cute! YES, he's an animal lover and they are definitely taken by him. I don't know how Lyn is going to be able to keep her paws off him while he's there. lol Awww, so you loved her maternal thoughts/fantasies about Luke? That surprised me as well, considering how devastated she was about losing Brad's baby. But watching Luke interact with her fur babies just made her think of the possibilities. I mean she's already thinking about having his baby! xD

      YOu're right, with Brad is was more about the fantasy of being naughty, with Luke she sees what kind of future she can have with him. Yes, definitely hubby/daddy material! lol And it's funny how you thought he would make a great dad before too! I can totally see him taking his kids to work and letting them play on the firetruck, just like he did with his own dad.

      Bahaha YES that girl has a dirty mind!! Especially when it comes to men she's attracted to. Moreso with Luke, since she's he's a hot fireman and she's been drawn to him for a while. Haha yes, anything! I swear I was gonna say something dirtier but I didn't want to corrupt the chapter while they're having a moment. lol I agree, if these two ever hook up, it's ON!! With his craving for Lyn for two years and Brad bringing out her slutty side, I think she's going to be even more shameless with Luke. lol

      Awww, thank you, I'm glad things are looking up for her too. Lord knows that girl has been through enough. Oooh, that may be a good subject to bring up...where Luke stands on public friskiness. xD

      Thanks for reading, Count!

      Delete
  13. ...Ok... SO I haven't posted a comment for the last few chapters or so... but I have been reading.

    XD Recent chapter: That wasn't so awkward between them...

    And Brad... SERIOUSLY, WTH you douche... you're so last week... lol

    Glad Lyn has her doggy! Mr. Nunu has a friend!

    O.o You should like go ahead and just have Luke and Lyn be together... <.< They're so cute and he realized stuff before even acting on stuff... O.o And Lyn a teacher? Hmmm... well all part of starting anew is having a new job... should be interesting.

    I've done the Teacher Career... >.< I just don't like knowing bajillion people just to raise through the career lvls...

    O.o I was really hoping to read a new chapter on Thursday and... sadly it was wasn't there... BUT YAYS FOR NEW CHAPTER!! <3 Luke is nice, Brad is just a douche... I hate those type of people... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! I'm glad to hear that you're still reading. Yeah, Brad definitely screwed it up. And he still tried to justify what he did to Luke, expecting sympathy, and little did he know he'd get a beatdown.

      Luke and Lyn are attracted to each other, and he wants to be with her, but she's still recovering from what Brad did. When the right time comes, and if it's meant to be, she'll realize that he's perfect for her. Until then, she's not getting involved with anyone for a while. Yup, she's going to try teaching. New town, new career. lol

      I only update Memoirs once a week now, every Monday, since I have another story called "Heat" that's updated every Wednesday. It has Luke as the main character.

      Thanks for reading, LadyArora!

      Delete
  14. For a minute I thought Nikki had learned how to drive!

    "I had a small glimmer of hope that my stay in Appaloosa will only be temporary. "

    Um...what? Lyn has to be the weirdest thinker I know. How the hell you buy a horse, a house and make friends for something that's "temporary"????????? She has some serious issues for real!

    "The maid is already inside the house, so it can't be him."

    Does it seem strange calling a man a maid? Did to me so I thought I'd point it out. Strange...

    Loved it! I think it was cute how giddy Lyn was around Luke. I think it's great they are both letting things play as they may and not forcing anything right now. They both know they need that time to heal and to get to know one another for real and not just answer the lustful needs of their bodies. I'd hate for them to do that only for it to end up like Brad and Lyn did.

    A lot of blame is being thrown at Brad and while he was an asshole and a dog, Lyn's attraction to Luke did play a role in the ordeal as well. She did try to avoid Luke because of it but she obviously didn't love Brad with her whole heart because of the way she felt for Luke and gave him a piece of that heart.

    They really should have just talked it out and left it because they just weren't right for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah you would notice that, wouldn't you? Nikki driving. xD Come on, D! You should know her by now! Her mind works differently: she's impulsive yet cautious, practical yet senseless. She bought the horse and house on impulse because she was in a desperate situation, but her life is in Bridgeport. So she always had the mentality that she'll move back once she's better and possibly work things out with Brad if he changes. But after running into him, she realized that he's bad news, and she needs to give AP a chance.

      Haha I know, I was thinking about that too. A male maid. A manmaid! The guy that comes in everyday has long hair and wears a tight shirt.

      Awwww, I'm glad you loved this udpate!! YES, being around Luke brings back all these butterflies that she's been missing and repressing since she met him. They've always had great chemistry, and now that Luke sees her as his Lois Lane, his feelings for her run even deeper, which does not make things easy for Lyn. lol She's even starting to see him as her Superman. :-) He's always there when she's in need. As tempted as I am to make them hook up, I know I need to let them decide when the time is right. Right now, she needs a friend, and that's what he needs to be. I agree, this is their chane to take their time and get to know each other, not just focus on physical attraction. If they're not careful, they'll just into things and end up just like Lyn and Brad. Strong start but fizzles out in the end.

      OMG, you're actually seeing Brad's side now?? He's not completely responsible for screwing up the relationship?? *GASP* Hmmmm...is this your way of telling me that you miss Brad? Despite his douchy, asswipey ways?? That girl loved Brad, and she tried to make it work. You know what she went through! Sure, she was attracted to Luke and she even had a chance to ditch Brad to run off with his best friend. But she didn't. She was in love with Brad at the time. I think what you're seeing now is the intensity of Luke and Lyn's feelings for each other now that Brad is out of the picture. Nothing is really stopping them from acting out on their feelings.

      But I agree, even though Brad and Lyn loved each other, they just wanted different things. It's too bad that Brad couldn't be honest with her. He could have saved her a lot of heartache. But then again, things happen for a reason.

      Thanks for reading, D!

      Delete
    2. "OMG, you're actually seeing Brad's side now?? He's not completely responsible for screwing up the relationship?? *GASP* Hmmmm...is this your way of telling me that you miss Brad? Despite his douchy, asswipey ways??"

      Um ew and hell no! Brad's an asshole and I am in no way, shape, or form agreeing with that scum of the Earth! I was saying she hasn't seen her role in the break-up only Brad's. Though hers was NO WAY near as bad as Brad's it was still a present and deciding factor. Fuck that asshole and the horse he rode in on. I hope that nasty ass, sluttysister fucking dick of his turns green and falls off!

      WTF...

      Delete
    3. Whoa!! Something tells me you still hate brad. xD No, really, tell me how you really feel! lol I agree that her attraction towards Luke played a role in her seeking him for companionship (hence the kiss) but it was Brad who failed to do his part to make her happy. If he tended to her needs the way he should have, Luke wouldn't even be in the picture. And even when Brad confronted her about Luke, she admitted that they kissed. Then she explained it again at the lake. So she was aware of what she did.

      They were already having problems before she ran into Luke at the park. I honestly think Luke was just a scapegoat for both of them: Brad's excuse to cheat and Lyn's need for attention.

      Delete
  15. Lyn, Just got done reading chapter 26 of memoirs. I really liked it alot. I am feeling alot better now a little bit of my cold still lingers with me a bit. Something tells me Luke is going to become your new Brad at somepoint but he will be a much better man than brad ever was. I don't know what else to say but keep up the good work. I think this has to be your bestest writing yet. talk you ya later wild thang. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're feeling better! Just make sure you get enough rest and you should be back to normal. Haha Luke as the new Brad but a better version, huh? The only problem is that they live in different cities, so I don't know how a relationship between them will work. They have their own lives. At this point, they're going to be friends for a while until she feels ready to get involved again.

      Thank you Tom, I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter!

      Delete
  16. Loved this, I loved the fact Luke brought Nikki back to her mum. I loved the banter going on between them. Just let each other know how you feel :) and he should stay with her move in.

    I updated today as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lckygrl, I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter! Lyn is definitely excited that Luke is there, and she has her Nikki back. She can really use the company and support. Luke and Lyn have always had strong chemistry, and the fact that they've been holding back on their feelings has to spill out in one way of another, through their interactions.

      Haha you want him to stay and move in?? The problem is that she's really vulnerable right now, and she might need him only because she's lonely. Once she's better, he might become the rebound. But we'll see what happens. :-)

      Thanks for reading, Lckygrl!

      Delete
  17. http://painswaterpoint.blogspot.com/p/behind-story.html

    Latest update for behind the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't want Luke to be the rebound guy! I want them to be together finally!

    Well, there is that matter of David still...but seriously, Lyn and Luke are too adorable. And her animals love him! He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't want Luke to be the rebound guy, so they need to be careful and not do anything too prematurely while he's there. If they can keep their friendship while she heals, they have the potential to have something great in the future when she's ready.

      Yes, she still has David to deal with when she sees him again. But I think he can also be a potential good friend. He seems like a nice guy. Awww, thank you, I think Lyn and Luke are adorable together too, and I really hope things work out for them. Haha yes, her animals love him. That's always a good sign. :-)

      Thanks for reading, Lauren!

      Delete
  19. I am SO SO g;ad she'd done with Brad - what a douche nozzle! I'm glad she seems to have totally written hims off, and I hope so much that Luke stays in the picture! Like I said, I haven't started Heat yet, so maybe there's things going on there that are affecting this situation - but for now, I'm believing they can be together! I mean, he brought her Nikki, he loves her horse, he feels at home in her house, and...of yeah, he's FREAKING HOT!

    I can't wait to find what secrets this house holds for these two!

    Oh, and thanks for using one of Springsteen's most underrated and in my opinion, best songs! This is one I'd forgotten all about, but SO deep, and SO right for that chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha douche nozzle?? Wow, I've heard him called all kinds of things but douche nozzle is definitely a first. xD Her confrontation with Brad at the lake was the turning point for her. She loves him, but she just can't get past what he did. Once she made the decision to move on, she tried to stick wit her decision. Having Luke around is both a blessing and a curse. It's great that he's there for her, but at the same time, they fall into a dangerous territory of getting involved prematurely.

      But I can see why you can see them together. :-) I can too. Luke really cares about her, and he can give her the type of happiness she's always wanted. I guess it's just a matter of when she's ready and if they both feel comfortable with the situation. Haha so you think he's freaking hot, huh? lol I thought Brad was hot but since Luke came in the picture, he definitely stole the show.

      It was my pleasure to use "Secret Garden". It's one of my favorite songs of all time, and I have loved it since "Jerry Maguire". I thought the song represents where she stands with Luke, and I'm so glad you were able to pick up on that. :-)

      Thanks for reading, Jilly!

      Delete
  20. ~ OK, Finally commenting,I know you have been waiting!LOL!
    ~ To answer your Q on Were to find a Unicorn,you are heading them in the right direction & why Anon,said it would be nice,Unicorns show up after dark around bodies of water,lakes,ponds,rivers & the sea,(all community lots!)you can see were they are by a show of lights like a changing rainbow going straight up,in the sky,were ever the Unicorn shows,easier to see in map view!Kay!
    ~ I love that Luke came to her rescue again,with Niki!
    ~ I love guys that have an affinity with animals,I do not trust those who don't!
    ~ I know why she is headed to the Lake not for romance,but to tell him the whole truth about the break up,she does not want to sully her new begging in her new house with what went down with Brad!
    ~ After this talk it will be very easy for Luke to be her friend & shoulder to cry on,as they will both talk everything out,he will feel guilty,about the baby, being a male & Brads friend(EX friend)He could have warned her,but he truly thought that the love of a good woman had change Brad's ways,he also knows that Lyn could see him in the same light as Brad,them being best friends & all,so he will need to prove to her he is not just after sex,no matter what temptations she throws at him,he will always remember the talk at the lake,it will always throw ice on any heated situation!As he is in for the long haul,not a quick roll in the hay,he wants her to be his forever!
    ~ I do know they will get to know each other quickly as even though they live in different towns they will spend many a time on the phone having long conversations,until they both can not stand to be apart!
    ~ I can not wait,to find out your take on this & what you will do next!
    ~ I love it,more when you can!(",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I thought you didn't see my update so I figured you probably didn't know this chapter came out. But I'm so glad that you read it and left a comment, a long one at that! :-)

      Thanks for the heads up about the unicorns, I have yet to find one, and I've been playing AP since Pets came out. But I'll definitely be trying out the hotspots. It would be nice if they can find one while Luke is there, that would definitely be a good sign for them.

      Since Lyn loves the water, the lake is her haven in Appaloosa. She goes there when she needs to recharge, or just to think. Even though Brad followed her there, and their confrontation was difficult, having Luke with her will at least give her some positive memories. I agree, this would be the perfect time for her to finally open up, and to finally deal with everything she's through. She couldn't have found a better person to do this with than Luke.

      Wow, seriously Karima, why are you in my head?? lol How do you read them so well? It's really hard not to give anything away when you have such a good grasp of what's going to happen! I do sense some guilt on Luke's part, especially about the baby, but like you said, he didn't get involved because he really thought Lyn and Brad were happy, and Brad changed his ways. Plus that would have made him look like a major hater if he tried to say something to Lyn. Brad will think that Luke is trying to instigate things so Lyn will leave him.

      You make a really good point about her opening up to him in the lake bringing them closer, and that being a reminder to Luke that she needs time to heal, no matter how attracted they are to each other. And knowing how Lyn is, she will probably test him to see what his true motives are.

      Awwwww, I can really see it. Them getting to know each other, spending hours talking on the phone, despite their distance, until they absolutely must see each other again. I just want to make sure that Lyn builds her own life first before she gets involved with anyone again. If she jumps into another relationship, even with Luke, she'll be no different than how she was with Brad, relying on a man to make her happy. At this point, I can see Lyn and Luke becoming best friends. :-)

      Thanks for reading, Karima!

      Delete
  21. I love Luke. And I have to give Brad an E for effort, though he screwed it up. When Lyn and Luke met at that party... augh! How could she stand it! The intensity of the moment! The electricity in the air is what set off that tank under the grill I just know it.

    Backing up a bit, and although Brad turned out to be a di.k, after reading chapter 15 I couldn't breathe. Parts of it hit very close to home. How did you know? (hehe) My husband liked that I sat and read the story yesterday... very much. (ahem)

    edit: Okay I had to go back and find out what it was about ch. 15 that hit home, and well, it was.. home. I completely understand that feeling. My advice to the world is, once you find it... don't let go... no matter how scared you think you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I agree, despite Brad's douchy behavior. He and Lyn did have something special. They loved each other. Unfortunately, he became antsy towards the end of their relationship. He started missing his freedom. Well, he got what he asked for. He's single now. He can hook up with as many girls as he wants.

      There was definitely something between Lyn and Luke when they first met. The fact that Luke didn't expect her to be the girl that has been haunting his dreams really threw him off. He was definitely drawn to her, and the fact that Lyn was so uneasy around him made it even harder. lol She had to avoid him for two years just to prevent any problems with Brad. Haha so you think Luke and Lyn set off the fire? Wow, that's some crazy chemistry. xD

      Are you referring to Ch. 14 when Lyn had to deal with her spoiled sister and condescending mom? Since Ch. 15 was when Brad and Lyn went on a date. I can honestly say that parts of Ch. 14 hit close to home for me as well, particularly with one of my sisters. Haha so I take it you read Ch. 16, 17 and 18? xD I'm glad that your husband benefited from it. Heehee...:-)

      I love your advice, thank you for sharing it. I wish Brad had taken it, he might still be with Lyn now.

      Thanks for reading, Mypal!

      Delete
  22. Awww this is sooo romantic :)

    Maybe it was Luke all along! I hope good things happen between them, for the sake of Lynn's sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! If they play their cards right and when the right time comes, things should fall into place. Luke definitely has the qualities that she needs in a man. The question is, can she trust enough to give him a chance?

      Thanks for reading, Bri!

      Delete
  23. Wow you're updating quickly! Chapter 40 already - noticed it when I started following your blog on my account. :P

    Okay with Luke beating up Brad in the last chapter...I knew he had strong feelings for her but I had no idea they were THAT strong. I actually think Luke is hotter than Brad, job professions aside.
    I know Lyn is concerned about how the beginning of her and Luke is very nice and sweet, just like her and Brad were, but I think Luke is more loyal and more caring in general. I mean, he had to resist his temptations and feelings for years out of respect for his friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha it seems like I'm updating like crazy but this chapter was actually from over a year ago and I took a long break after that. So 40 chapters in a year and 7 months is not that much. lol I really should have finished the story by now. But I am trying to finish this story before the summer is over, so I will try to update twice a week.

    Yes, Luke's feelings for Lyn are definitely strong and it didn't help that he had to suppress them for two years. I agree, Luke is hotter than Brad but Brad is definitely a charmer. :P These two men are very different from each other. If it wasn't for Luke's self-control, he and Lyn probably would have slept together. Brad, on the other hand, didn't.

    Thanks for your feedback, Emerain!

    ReplyDelete