Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chapter Nine (Broken)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 8 (Out Of Reach)
-I met Skye, David's beautiful horse.
-Mr. Nunu liked David immediately after being on lead for 10 minutes.
-I became very aware of his warm hands on my waist as he helped me mount Mr. Nunu.
-He was very gentle and patient as he watched us do the low jumps.
-I found out that he's well-off but he's studying to be a teacher.
-He asked me why I left Bridgeport, but his question hit a nerve.
-I ended the lesson immediately and went home with Mr. Nunu.


Photobucket


Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Tuesday, 10/25/11
Time: 7:20 a.m.

As the sunlight wakes me from my slumber, I lie in bed thinking about what just happened last night.  How could I be such a bitch to David?  He was so nice and patient with me and Mr. Nunu.  There was something gentle in his voice, his energy...he made everything sound so doable, even the low jumps.  And the way that he praised us when we were doing well, it made me feel even more confident in my abilities as Mr. Nunu's handler.  And his eyes.  Oh God, those eyes.  Everytime they look into mine, I feel like I'm slowly meting into the ground, like chocolate under the hot sun.  I haven't felt that way since...well, since the last time I looked into his eyes.  Moments before I ran out of our condo in Bridgeport.  Moments before I saw him with her.  Moments before I hopped into a cab, asking the driver to take me to the bridge.  Moments before I peered down into the water, wondering what would happen if I jumped.

Everything that has happened led me to here, in this town, inside this home, inside my bedroom, on my bed...wondering why I snapped at David.  Especially when we were just geting to know each other.  It felt nice to talk to someone.  Especially a person that seems to have the desire to help others despite being born into a well-to-do family.  And it didn't help that he's good-looking as well.  That's my weakness: good-looking men.  I seem to fall for them easily, especially when I feel some type of chemistry with them.  That's the last thing I need right now, to get involved with another guy.  So I can get hurt again?  So he can be another disappointment?  I'm barely over the man I just left...how can I think about the possibility of liking someone new?  My mind tries to reason with me, but my heart persists.  You're afraid to like David.  Even though you do.  That's why you snapped at him.  So you can push him away and go back into your safe little world where nobody can hurt you.

What?? What are you talking about? I don't like him!!  I argue with my own heart.  I think I'm officially going crazy.

"The broken clock is a comfort
It helps me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow

From stealing all my time
I am here still waiting

Though I still have my doubts
I am damaged at best

Like you've already figured out."

Photobucket

Tired of wrestling with my thoughts, I decide to go for a morning jog to ease my mind a little.  In Bridgeport, I normally go to the gym.  It's not safe to go jogging in the city especially when you're a woman, and especially when you're by yourself.  It's not uncommon for people to get attacked or mugged, and I didn't want to take any chances.  Here, on the other hand, it's so peaceful and quiet.  With the clean air and breathtaking landscape near the water, my body is just itching to explore the rest of my backyard.

Photobucket

This is nothing like being on a treadmill.  I pride myself in being able to run for 45 minutes straight, but being outside is a different experience altogether.  I can feel my shoes pushing on the hard pavement.  I can feel the warmth of the sun and the caress of the cool morning breeze.  I can smell the damp air that's accumulating on the grass as morning dew.  I can see my neighborhood.  I can hear the rustling on the trees as I pass by them. 

Photobucket

This is the first time I've been out in this neighhborhood.  It's nice to see the blue house right across me with the picket fence.  I wonder who lives there?  I always see the arrow sign from my bedroom window when I admire the view, but I've never seen it in person.  I'm finally able to see where this road will take me!

My body starts to feel warm as I breathe deeper.  I can feel my heart beat a bit faster with each push on the road.  This feels really good!  I am pleasantly surprised at how nice if feels to jog outdoors.  It doesn't even feel like I'm exercising, more like an exploration.  There's still so much to see, I become even more excited at what I will find next.

Up ahead, I see a dock.  My heart swells in utter joy at the thought of walking on the dock to look at the whole lake.  Will there be boats passing by? Will someone be fishing?  Bridgeport has some nice bays, but they are usually crowded.  And some areas can be littered with thrash.  I can't wait to see what the dock looks like!

Photobucket

I can hear the wood creak lightly as I impatiently walk on the deck, which turns out to be a boardwalk. I'm practically running.  It looks like it's been around for a while, as the wood has faded into a grayish color. 

Photobucket

Like a sweet release, my eyes finally feast on the water in front of me.  Crystal clear, with a hint of aqua.  I can sometimes see the pebbles underneath the small waves being blown by the breeze.  I take a deep breath, feeling my body relax along with my pulse.  I close my eyes and just savor the beauty in front of me, wondering how lucky I became at being only a quick jog away from this.  I've always dreamed of living near the water, especially the ocean.  But with a big city like Bridgeport, I'd have to be a millionaire to live near the lake or the beach.  Yet here I am, standing on this boardwalk, overlooking the water, and my house is right around the corner. 

And to think, I could have been dead less than a week ago.  I felt so hopeless that I was going to give up on my own life.  And I would have missed out on all this.  Hot tears run down my cheeks as I think about the girl that got on that cab.  She seemed so lost...so afraid...and so alone.  She had her family, her friends and a man that she was crazy about, yet...she didn't feel like she mattered.  It all seemed like an illusion.  There were people that claimed they loved her, cared about her...yet how could they have the heart to do what they did?  Even my own mind isn't ready to go to that place, when everything went wrong.  If I do, I'll just ruin the moment.  Wiping my tears, I scan the water again, trying to get back the magic  that I felt a few minutes ago.

Photobucket

The water looks so clear, clean and inviting.  I just want to kick off my shoes and run into it.  I want to feel sand underneath my feet again.  As I tug on my shoes, I see something running towards the water out of the corner of my eye.  What in the world??

What could it be?  I can't make out if it's a small dog, cat or a really large rodent.

Photobucket

It sees me, and it runs in my direction.  It's a dog!!

"Awww, hey there!" I stand still, trying not to scare it away.

Based on the color, the pink collar, size and long ears, I'm guessing she's a beagle.  

"You are just adorable!! What's your name?"


Photobucket
She stares up at me, tail wagging happily.  I cannot resist.  I try to pet her.  She backs away, giving me a cautious look.

"You don't want me to pet you?  Aww, sorry sweetie."


Instead of walking away, she still looks up at me, tail wagging.  What does she want?  She doesn't like to be touched, but she's still here.  Those brown eyes.  Who do they remind me of?  

Photobucket
"You want it? Do ya? Huh, girl?" I pulll out a squeaky toy, waving it around.  Her face lights up, tongue and tail wagging.

"Whatcha gonna do for it?  Whatcha gonna do for it?" I tease her, eyes following the toy the whole time.

Photobucket

As she jumps for the toy, I raise it so she can't grab it. 

"Come on, pretty girl! Can you catch it? Can you?"

I feel bad for teasing her, but she looks so cute trying to jump!

Seriously, who does she remind me of??

Photobucket

At that moment, as she jumps to the side, with her ears flopping around, it comes back to me.  Nikki.  My precious Nikki. The two year old Dalmatian that I raised with him in Bridgeport since she was 8 weeks old.  He gave her to me as a birthday gift during the first year that we lived together.  I can still remember coming back from class (I was in med school at the time), and he greeted me at the door.  He would not let me come in unless my eyes were closed.  So I closed them.

"'I have a surprise for you.' He whispered as he took my hand, leading me to the living room. 

"Oh my God, what are you up to?" I was giddy in excitement.  He would pull stunts like this, when I least expected it.

"Sit down.  Keep your eyes closed."  I could hear a rustling sound as I sat down on the couch. 

'Okay, open them. Happy birthday, baby.'" He muttered as I felt something warm and soft on my lap."

When I opened my eyes, I was greeted by the biggest brown eyes I've ever seen in my life.  Nestled on my lap, she looked up at me, smiling.  I fell in love immediately.  Since that day, we bonded and I made sure she grew up to be a well-mannered and happy dog.  She knew all of her commands.  She even knew the difference between "ball", "toy", "cookie", "food" and "bone".  She was so smart, it was like she was a person.  If I said, "Go get your toy", she would find it and bring it back to me.  I loved her like she was my own daughter.  There was not a night that she didn't sleep in our room on her own bed on the floor.  When  he had to work late shifts and I would be alone, I made sure she slept on the bed with me.

I miss her.  I wonder how she's doing?  I start to feel sad and guilty for leaving her.  I wish I had enough sanity left to take her with me.

"I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart

That's still beating
In the pain, there is healing
In your name I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on

I'm holdin' on
I'm holdin' on
I'm barely holdin' on to you"


Photobucket
This cutie-pie's playful bark brings me back to the present.  For a moment, I put Nikki out of my mind.

"You want it? You want it?" I finally let go of the toy, and she runs after it. 

"Jackie!!" I hear a woman's voice from a distance.

Photobucket

"So your name is Jackie?  That must be your mommy." I see a lady in a yellow shirt looking in our direction.

I put my hand close to her face, and she sniffs it.  It's better than nothing.

Photobucket

Just when I'm having fun with Jackie, her owner finds her.  I feel a slight pang of disappointment.  I wish I can take her home with me.  I had forgotten how nice it is to have a dog.

"Well, you should go.  I don't want your mom to worry." 

She looks at me, then back at her owner.  But she doesn't budge.

"Jackie?"


*Copyright 2011 Lyn C.S.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Broken" by Lifehouse
Video by: LifehouseVEVO


16 comments:

  1. ok i am annomous again i guess. Sirona here:) neat update, but who is that, the lady, i can't tell, i know your keeping it a surprise. lol, tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sirona, welcome to my blog! Thanks for leaving a comment. Hehe I can't tell you yet. It could be anybody or just some random townie. You'll find out next time. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, its Kmsim15, I can't wait to see the next update! The views of the neighborhood are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kmsim, welcome to my blog! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the update : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have sworn I had left a comment on this post, but apparently I have not =/ So... here is mah comment!

    Oh, and before I forget. Hai Lyn!!

    Okay, back to my comment!

    What a lovely day for a run. I'm not much of a runner myself, it just brings me back to lovely memories of being forced to run miles in middle/high school (which I dreaded), but I know it is a great stress reliever. Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe I should take up running? hehe

    What a cute little doggie! Too bad she's not a stray though. Poor Lyn though! Remembering how she abandoned her dalmation... that must be awful. I know I would feel just terrible if I had left an animal behind.

    She should definitely get a dog though. I have a feeling it will make her feel a lot better about it, and definitely less lonely since Mr. Nunu can't come in the house.

    ♥ and harp strings,
    Kate

    P.S. Sorry I haven't commented in forever... I've been kind of depressed lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate!! You're such a breath of fresh air! lol Your enthusiasm is contagious. : ) I've never been much of a runner so I admire you for taking up such a grueling activity. I don't mind going for a brisk walk though. Yes, you should definitely take up running again, especially if you loved it before. It's definitely a nice way to enjoy being outside and getting exercise at the same time.

    The consensus seems to be for her to get a dog. lol I agree. She needs the company and support of another animal that she can bring in the house. Ooooh maybe that will give her an excuse to visit Benjamin the hot repairman. XD

    Wouldn't it be funny if Mr. Nunu slept on her bed with her? lol She's all hugging him like a big ol' teddy bear.

    No worries about the comments, girly. I know life happens. I'm so sorry that you've been feeling down lately. I'm here if you need to talk.

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think she should have stolen Jackie and ran. But then that would just make her crazy. She's not. She's just lonely :-( I was so hoping she'd run into David. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha that didn't occur to me. I should have!! The only problem is that I live right across the owner so she will find out eventually. XD

    Hehe...David will come back, don't worry. I'm still in the process of setting the characters up but she will see him again. She still has lessons, remember? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's my weakness: good-looking men. I seem to fall for them easily.
    ^^ I concur. They do tend to melt hearts.

    HAHA she's losing! The poor girl is yelling at her heart :P Time for a mental health check Lyn. That gnome watching her run was a little creepy. Honestly I thought his head turned so his eyes could follow her but I'm pretty sure it was my imagination. Maybe I need the mental health check. (Stuff in my pictures move I swear it!)

    OMG the way she describes Nikki was so warm! It reminded me of one of my bad breakups and having to leave my Lady. I was so heartbroken. Still to this day I wonder how she's doing and if she's even still alive. It was the saddest day of my life leaving her behind when I moved. :( I can completely understand her emotions with her. I'd found my Lady on the side of the road and from the moment I pulled her from under the car we were the best of friends. She was a great protector and she always slept under the covers beside me. Man...thinking about it is killing me. Poor Lyn. She's lost so much: safety of familiarity, her home, her love, her friends, her job, her family and I'm harping on her dog. Yeah...I'm so not a people person!

    I laughed when Jackie looked at her Mom like "I heard that woman. I'll go when I please!" I can see this is a Diva and much like my Melmel lol. But she keeps me laughing. But that shows the exact kind of person she is. Animals can sense evil and the fact that the beagle was comfortable enough NOT to run off when Mommy came is very telling. I hope she finds comfort in a smaller pet soon so she's not alone in the house. Unless...that toilet needs a date :P

    The ocean being so close would be a dream. In Jax I'm about 10m from the beach so my trip's a tad farther BUT it's convenient and close-ish. Happy to see she gave thought to her behavior with David. I hope she fixes that before long. He at least deserves an apology if not an explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, Daijah, you are seriously spoiling me with these long, detailed comments!! You are seriouly pulling a Brad on me, giving and giving without expecting anything in return. lol If you abandon my story, I'm probably going to end up like those crazy ex-gilfriends stalkers. "Must have my Daijah fix..must have my Daijah fix." lol

    Bahaha OMG gnomes watching her run?? Where do you come up with this stuff?? Yeah, I think you do need a mental health check. I'll meet you there since I can use a tune-up. lol Awww, I'm so sorry about your Lady, wow, I had no idea you went through the same experience. That must have been devastating, and the guilt you must have experienced. Can I ask why you couldn't take her with you? Well, you know what they say: people have a choice, animals don't. So a lot of things that people go through are mostly how they choose to deal with a situation while animals are helpless. So I can see why you have more compassion for animals, especially when you you lost Lady. People can screw you over but animals will always love you unconditionally.

    I agree, animals can sense people's energies and their instincts are very accurate. Haha yeah Jackie is definitely spoiled and she has a mind of her own. What kind of dog is Melmel? I have three yellow labs, and one of them is Nunu. That's who I named Mr. Nunu after. lol I agree, Lyn does need to get a dog soon not only to keep her company but to keep her safe.

    Wow, you're so lucky that you're 10 miles from the beach! We have to travel an hour and a half just to go to St. Augustine or Crescent Beach. Someday we would like to move by the beach, that's our dream. Have you ever been to Cape San Blas? OMG, it's so gorgeous and secluded there. We rented a beachhouse twice for a whole week in the summer.

    I agree, she does owe David an exlanation. She will see him again for the next riding lesson, which will resume when she returns to the present. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gnome was there! You don't see him? He's in the 2nd shot wearing a freaking stripped wife-beater T with a rubber duckie on the front (I think). HE WAS WATCHING HER! Maybe I scrolled too fast but his head moved on my screen!

    When I moved I had no room for her and no place to keep her until I made some and so she had to stay with "him". Hardest decision I've ever made in my life! I'm still hurting over it. I'd trained her so well to the point she only responded to me. She knew every command and :( I miss her so much.

    Carmella is a German Shepard/Chow mix. I adopted her from the local humane society as a Christmas present for Jay. (She was really for me but telling him she was his I knew he wouldn't resist me...though he's pretty amenable about my wants...) Considering the fact that he can't really ever deny me I should abuse him less perhaps...then again he deserves it. Let's him know who's in charge (don't tell him I said that!) :P

    Nope never been there but it sounds nice. I mostly travel to see family IF I'm willing to leave my home that is :D And no worries, I'm not going anywhere...especially since I already have enough crazy in my life. Not sure if I can handle a stalker too :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Daijah! LOL I see him now, wow you have good eyesight. You know? Now I'm going to find a way to include the gnomes in the plot. Some type of special powers..or GASP haunted gnomes that hoard evil spirits. Just for you.

    Wow, so you actually experienced what she went through. Having to leave the dog behind and referring to your ex as "him". Wow. Oh man, poor baby, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Now I can see why you can relate to her so much. I feel as if I'm describing other people's experiences. I have a friend that follows my story, she's actually Geri, and her name is Jerry in real life. She can't get over how similar Brad is to her late husband as far as personality and being a ladies man. She said that he would even say the same things. I was dumbfounded because he came from my imagination, yet he actually personifies a real person.

    LOL you have a good man and YOU KNOW IT! Jay sounds like my husband. He learned early on the "yes" and "whatever you want" are the smartest ways to avoid an argument. So he picked his battles. lol Bahaha hubby stopped fighting me about who's in charge a long time ago. XD

    Aaak it's already 2 a.m.! I've been reading After Midnight and I just started replying to yout comments. OMG, After Midnight is my kind of story! It's really letting me get to know the horror genre but the hot sex scenes pull me right in. lol I will finish responding to your lovely comments tomorrow, and I should have Ch. 17 up. Hopefully before midnight. lol

    Goodnight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, i defintly agree with Lyn. Good Looking. Can;t live with em, can't live without them. Sad, but true.
    Jackie is so cute. I don't know what I would do if I was forced to leave me Destiny :/ She's my life and I love her to death, I could understand why Poor Lyn is so distraught.
    MY heart hurts for her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know they say that looks aren't everything but I'm sorry...they matter to me. I mean, the guy doesn't have to be drop-dead gorgeous or anything but I have to be attracted to him physically. That's what fuels sexual chemistry, and that's what initiates the stages of falling in love. I wouldn't be with my hubby if he wasn't my type.
    :-)

    What kind of dog is Destiny? She sounds adorable. I have three Labs myself, and I can't even bear the thought of having to leave them behind. So yeah, Lyn is pretty screwed up right now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute dog!! I can see why she was so taken with her right away! I want to pick her up myself!
    The lighting and the angle of the shots is wonderful! The way the shadows from the sun hit her and the beach gives off a warm feel that almost made fore forget it's nearly 30 degrees here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Qui,

    I agree, Jackie was a cutie pie, she was so smitten with her! If it wasn't for Geri being her neighbor, she probably would have stolen her. lol
    And it doesn't help that she had to leave Nikki behind, she would have been a great source of comfort, along with Mr. Nunu.

    Thank you so much for the kind words about the pics, that means a lot coming from someone who is very talented with photos. Daijah and Val rave about your photo skills, and I always wondered who this "Qui" was. Now I got to meet you, so it's quite an honor! :-)

    Wow, it's 30 degrees where you're at? Are you in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete