Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chapter Forty-Four (Tears Dry On Their Own)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
 Ch. 43 (So Close)
-I woke up in my bedroom with Luke next to me.
-He told me that I passed out.
-After asking him what he was doing here, he said
that he needed to tell me something.
-The moment our eyes locked, everything started
 coming back to me. 
-When I asked him if he was Jesse, he said yes.
-Even though my heart leaped in joy at this possibility, I became 
bombarded by memories of him dying in my arms.
-The pain came back, and I ran out of the bedroom screaming.
-By the time I got to the living room, Brad was
came in, so I ran into his arms.
-Luke followed right behind me, witnessing the whole thing.
-I told Luke that I just couldn't deal with it.
-He asked if I was going back to Brad after everything
 that's happened.
-I couldn't even respond, let alone speak.
-Luke walked out the door.

*Strong language*

 photo Screenshot-4-4.jpg

Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Saturday, 11/6/2011
Time: 7:46 p.m.

Nothing, not even the restlessness of my own thoughts can drown out the hammering of my own heart as I sit up on the bed, trying to make sense of what just happened. It's not possible, it just can't be! But how do I explain what I saw earlier, when I looked into Luke's pale green eyes? It felt as if this blue streak of electricity penetrated through my whole being, as if my soul was getting a jump start. How do I explain the memories that flashed through his eyes, everything that happened since 1904? The love, the pain and that moment when I held him in my arms as he was dying---as if it just happened yesterday? The promise we made to each other, as he took his last breath, the immense guilt and the desperate wish for time to move faster? 

I had forgotten it all, until now. Now that the blueprint of my DNA has unraveled, now that my heart remembers its first beat and now that my soul recognizes the man that just walked out the door.  The man that I loved beyond human reason, the man that I've searched my whole life for---came back. Jesse actually came back...as Luke. Holy shit. As petrified as I am at this realization---my body trembling, my tears continuing to fall---something is changing in me. I can feel it to my very core.

"Are you okay?" Brad's voice, along with his footsteps, startle me as he walks into the room. 

 I nod, wiping my face as I try to regain my composure. For a moment, I had forgotten his presence. As soon as I heard the front door slam, I rushed upstairs, knowing I just pushed Luke away. The guilt, on top of the painful memories of our past life, was too much and I just didn't have the heart to watch him leave. "It's just...a lot to take in."

"I'm sorry."

"Is he gone?"

"Yeah."

 photo Screenshot-7-5.jpg

He's gone. Just like that. A minute ago, he was sitting here next to me, in the same spot where Brad is, rubbing my back. The person that took me home and waited patiently until I regained consciousness---is gone. Now, more than ever, I feel even more confused. I can still feel Luke's presence in this room, hovering around us, refusing to leave my sight. He's probably on the road as I speak, back to Bridgeport, but I can still feel him. God, I feel him. And I wish I hadn't let him walk away so easily. Sensing my silence, Brad searches my face solemnly and asks, "How did he know where we were?"

"I don't know." My eyes quickly spot the stars returning in the indigo sky as I look out the window, now that the rain stopped and took the clouds with it. Like Luke, it's almost hard to believe that they were here at all, as if they didn't leave any traces behind, not even one raindrop or speck of fog on the window. Everything is perfectly still, perfectly quiet, and I want to scream, just to break the silence---and erase this void that Luke left behind. "He never told me he was coming." 

"Why was he here?"

"He said he needed to tell me something...but..."

"What?"

"It's going to sound crazy," I turn to Brad, hesitating if I should tell him what happened, but at this point, he's the only person I can talk to. "I've been having flashbacks of my past life and---"

His eyes simmer down into a steel blue shade as the soft glow of the lamp soaks through them, unveiling a sort of sadness, an undeniable knowing. "And Luke...is Jesse?"

My heart, as well as my mind, comes to a screeching halt, forgetting how to function."What?? How do you---"

"I saw everything."

"All I can ever be
To you
Is a darkness
That we knew
And this regret
I got accustomed to"

 photo Screenshot-103.jpg

Too imprisoned by shock to speak, my bottom slides off the bed as I blankly stare into space, merely blinking once I hit the floor. I can feel my body sink even more, wondering why I haven't crashed through the living room---with all of my weight bearing down on the wooden floor like a wrecking ball. Brad slides down along with me. He would look at my face, appear to say something, but end up looking away and changing his mind. After what seems to be an eternal silence, he softly mutters, "I killed him....and you....and myself."

"Oh my God..." It feels like a car just broke through the window and pummeled me on the back, knocking out my breath---along with the rest of the organs in my body. "William..."

"I can't...I just...I don't even know where to begin."

"So it's true...it's all true." With my trembling hands covering my face, all I can do is look down at the floor as I connect the shattered pieces of my past. A past that has long been left behind in the cosmos, confined at the center of time, clinging to every tendril of dark space in the universe. In one instant, they come flooding down in this very same room, on this very same floor, on this very same lavender rug. I came back. Jesse came back. And now...William. He was not part of the plan. He was not part of the promise. But he came back somehow, and found me again. "Oh my God..."

"It all makes sense. That night you two met. You finally found each---"

"Stop. I don't wanna talk about it anymore."

"Why not? You couldn't even look at him tonight. You say you're friends, but---"

"Oh, so you want me to be honest?" My hands drop down to my lap as I search his eyes, enraged that he wants to push for the truth all of a sudden, especially about me and Luke. I'm not ready for any of this. I can't even...think about Luke...and the fact that he's...no, I won't. Or the fact that Brad is the same man that killed...no. And having to leave Abby and John as...no, no! The pain comes back, and all I can do is shift my state of mind to the present---in an attempt to alleviate it. "Let's start with you. Why didn't you tell me about your alcoholic father?"

"Lyn...let's not go there." He protests, looking away.

"No, let's go there. I was with you for two years. Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"What do you wanna know?" He meets my gaze again, but this time, with cold, distant eyes under bunched up eyebrows---his nostrils flaring. "That my dad beat the shit out of me and my brother? That he was never sober? That he treated my mom like shit and fucked her up too? That---"

"Brad---"

 photo Screenshot-11-5.jpg

"Or how about the fact that my mom left us when I was 10 and never came back? Maybe you wanna hear about the part where I've had to work since I was 14 since my dad could barely hold down a job?" His words bombard me like physical onslaughts emanating from his icy eyes, which are now flashing at me, glistening. He hasn't raised his voice once, but the pain and regret amplifies them ten-fold, making me shrink away in remorse, as if I just opened a door that should have been left closed. "Or the part where I had to take care of my brother just so CPS didn't separate us? Or that I envied Luke because he had such a perfect life?"

I watch him bury his face in his hands as he tries unsuccessfully to conceal his sobs---and broken voice---but they still emerge forcefully from a deep, dark place. I have never seen Brad like this. So damaged, so desolate, so transparent. Unable to fight my own tears, I place my hand on his arm and whisper, "I'm so sorry, I didn't know..."

"Of course you didn't know," He quickly interjects, shaking his head. Then he stares blankly at the window, as if the truth is behind the shutters, waving at him, waiting to be invited inside. It's clear that he's wrestling with something. It's written all over his face, the way his eyelids close shut, counting the seconds as they pass---waiting for the right moment. Finally, they open slowly, flashing their baby blues, directly into me. "If you did, you probably would have left. Just like my mom. How can anybody love such a fucked up person?"


Bricks. Crashing through the roof like giant pieces of hail. Leaving dents on everything: the wooden floor, the bed, the desk, the sofa and the top of my head. In the dusty aftermath of this thing called truth, I find my voice. "Is that what you thought? That I would leave you?"

Silence.

"You couldn't have been more wrong," I explain, searching his eyes, which are now red and soaked in tears, ready to fall. He looks away, but I grab his face and force him to look at me, watching the liquid leak down his flushed cheeks. All this time, I thought I could never make him happy, that I would never be good enough and he stopped trying because he got bored. In reality, he was sabotaging the relationship before it had the chance to sabotage him---plagued by his own abandonment issues. "I would have loved you more because of it. Because I would have seen the real you, and I would have hurt for that little boy that went through so much pain....because I understand.
"

Silence.

"But we will never know now, will we?" I continue, hearing Luke's gentle voice of reason in my head,"You didn't give me a chance to prove you wrong. Instead, you cheated on me."

"We could have
Never had it all
We had to hit a wall
So this is inevitable 
Withdrawal"

 photo Screenshot-35.jpg

He cheated on me. And somehow, he's still here. Luke was there, through everything, helping me pick up the pieces of my broken heart, and I pushed him away. Why did I do that? Suddenly, I'm recognizing the anomaly---and irony in this picture. Brad's once comforting presence becomes more of a nuisance now, a burden that I want to extricate myself from. I push myself off the floor and say solemnly, "I need to be alone right now."

"I'm sorry," He places his hands on my waist as he gets up, leaning close enough for his breath to brush the side of my neck. "I should have been more honest with you."

Normally, I would melt at how painstakingly close his body is to mine. This time, I am too clearly reminded of what had gone wrong---and Brad's responsibility in it---as well as mine. Without moving an inch, I reply, "Yeah...I wish things could have been different."

"I'll leave," He squeezes my waist, the disappointment in his voice evident. "If you need anything, you have my number. Call me, okay?"

"Okay."

"Get some rest. I love you."

"You too."

"By the way, about what I asked you earlier. Will you at least think about it?"

"I'll think about it."

 photo Screenshot-37.jpg

After hearing Brad's car drive off, the silence in the room becomes even more apparent. Not because I'm alone again or the fact that Brad left. It's because I miss Luke. It hit me so unexpectedly that I couldn't quite pinpoint what I was feeling---wishing he was still here, aching to hear his voice, the need to talk to him about everything. Just when I reach for my cellphone, a bolt of fear prevents me from dialing his number. What if he doesn't answer? How could I possibly explain myself, when I didn't even give him a chance to talk?

I need to be alone right now, I remind myself. With this realization, I grab Smokey from the floor and climb on the bed. As I sink on the plush duvet, squeezing my beloved teddy bear tight, Luke's earthy cologne lingers on my nose like a soft caress---evoking wistful memories of him. 


Damn it, he could have been here.

"He walks away
The sun goes down
He takes the day
But I'm grown
And in your way
In this blue shade
My tears dry
On their own"


*Copyright 2013 Lyn C.S.*
--------------------------------------------------------

"Tears Dry On Their Own" by Amy Winehouse
(Original Version)

Video by: Macarena Doll

20 comments:

  1. Oh man. Thank the gods, the baby Jesus, Bill Gates, Bono, and everyone in between! The scales are falling off her eyes, she's finally seeing everything as it is!

    I'm glad Brad finally told her about his childhood, but I'm thinking (hoping!) it's a case of too little, too late at this point. She showed him for two years that she loved him, that she had no intention of going anywhere, and he threw it back in her face. I can only hope he learns a very valuable lesson, but who knows with him.

    Here's hoping for some happy news for our Lyn soon!

    Excellent, excellent. I bow to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Karri, you crack me up! lol Baby Jesus, Bill Gates and Bono huh? Was it that bad? :P Yes, the scales are falling off and she is starting to see the light.

      That's the thing. Had Brad not brought her to the hospital, she would have never known, so he didn't have the intention of telling her. She practically forced it out of him. It's unfortunate because she would have loved him no matter what, but like you said, he threw it back in her face.

      This would definitely be an opportunity for Brad to learn something. So we'll see. As far as happy news, all I can say is, stay tuned!

      Thanks for the kind words and your feedback!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, what an emotional, fantastically written chapter!
    I'm glad Brad was able to open up to Lyn about his childhood but I think it could be too little too late now, even he must realise that.
    I don't know what to say about Lyn and Luke because part of me really wants them to get together as they're meant to be. Then another part of me feels that Lyn doesn't deserve him after taking Brad back for that short time. I know Luke has done wrong as well but...I dunno...I feel for both of them.
    Hopefully this time by herself will help and she can really have a good long think about things. I just hope if she decides to talk to Luke that he'll at least hear her out.
    Brilliant chapter sweet, You certainly know how to keep your readers hooked:) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be the case of too little too late. Had he done this a day sooner, the outcome could have been different. Better yet, if Brad had been open with her from the beginning, they'd still be together and there would be no story. lol

      I don't blame you for having mixed feelings about Luke and Lyn. Her denial caused her to push Luke away, the one person who has been there all along. Luke also did his share of dirt. But at least Lyn is starting to see the reality of things.

      She definitely does need some time to think and be alone. I'm sure at one point she and Luke will talk.

      Thank you for the kind words and feedback, Clairey! I try to do my best :)

      Delete
  3. Well it's about damn time she is finally coming out of her bubble of denial. She is seeing things for what they are!!! I think for both Lynn (in relation to Luke) and for Brad these new insights are a little too late.

    Luke is hurt, more hurt than she realizes since she still doesn't know about Brad's history with Natalie. Now he thinks he's lost another woman he loves to Brad. :(

    Brad so ashamed of where he came from, refused to open up about it and did sabotage things. His jealously of Luke and his insecurities are still no excuse for what he did to the people he thought were closest to him.

    She does need to be alone. She needs to sort out everything and she still has to go home. She is still hiding from some things and it's best she confronts it all. I honestly don't know how Luke will react to her now. But hopefully once she gets herself sorta out, she'll try. She promised him in the next life well, he's there now. They have found each other again. Will she keep that promise?

    And finally yes a mini rant. Really Brad are you fucking kidding me with that last line. After everything she went through today, KNOWING YOU FUCKING KILLED HER and left her kids as orphans you seriously asked her to consider marrying you. Knowing she has found Jesse and how much they were in love then. What the fuck is wrong with you???? He should have just left, stayed quiet and left. He just couldn't help himself and had to be a selfish ass just a little to even bring that up again.

    I have to say I do like that Lyn didn't say I love you back. :) Don't know if I'm reading too much into that or not, but I hope he picked up on that as well. He has his turn in that life and this and now it's Jesse's turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's starting to see the light. Luke is definitely hurt, like you said, thinking he's lost another woman to Brad. He went there to tell her how he feels, only to be pushed away.

      Brad tried to present a different image of himself while he was with Lyn, never wanting her to find out about his past, but he can only hide it for so long. He definitely had his reasons for doing the things that he did, but like you said, nothing excuses them. Haha yeah, he had the nerve to ask her to still consider marrying her after all that. I think he senses that things are changing but he can't help but see if he still has a chance anyway.

      The fact that Lyn knows Jesse is back affected her and how she feels about Brad. That may be why she didn't say "I love you" back. Will she keep her promise? Stay tuned!

      Thanks for your feedback, Mica!



      Delete
  4. Dear Lyn,
    Thanks for telling me about chapter 44 being up. You really are quite the author now your as perfect as a georgia peach going back to my 6 years of living in the south. First of all I have to say 44 is ultimate chapter of this story it was so full of emotion and was told just like it should with out being too jumpy and too exciting. I sure hope the rest of this story turns out just as well as the start. keep up the good work darlin don't stop now I think depending on how the ending turns out you may have to have a sequel. I think its well worthy of one. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter. It was definitely emotional and a pivotal chapter in the story, so I'm glad you picked up on that. Hehe Georgia peach, huh? Aww, you're too sweet. I must say, I LOVE southern sweet tea. That's the best thing I discovered about the south.

      I definitely try to tell the story as straightforward as I can and true to the characters. Jumpy and exciting are good, but they have their place. A sequel?? Eeek! I'll just be glad to be done with this story. I'll finally be able to breath and relax. lol

      Thanks for your feedback, Tom!

      Delete
  5. OK, so I finally catch up with this story.

    My, you are a master of roller coasters and cliffhangers, aren't you? Besides, I've been reading the last ten or so chapters in a couple of days, so I've been feeling lots of things all at once as I've been reading along.

    I loved Lyn in this chapter. I think her telling Brad that she needs to be alone (plain as the sentence might seem) is the wisest thing she's said in a long while. I'm beginning to see a change in her that was long due, one that calls for her to be by herself and think everything over. Not sure if I'm making any sense, sorry if I'm not.

    As for Brad, I don't think I hate him as much as other readers do, and yet... Well, I'm glad he's finally opened up to Lyn (I think it's good for him) and told her all about his shattered childhood, but he should have told her long ago or not at all. And, yes, he seems more or less contrite, but I don't think that's enough. His relationship with Lyn has never been very healthy (ironic, since they are doctors, LOL) in either their present or past lives.

    And I haven't read Heat yet, so Luke's personality is a bit more elusive to me, but of course I want Lyn to end up with him.

    Oh, and I love your references to Somewhere in Time: that movie is a guilty pleasure of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsar, welcome to my blog! I'm glad you left a comment because now I got to meet you :)Hehe I've been known for leaving readers frustrated in the last 10 chapters or so, and that may be because of the cliffhangers. They have hated me and Brad for it. Especially Brad. lol

      I agree, her ability to tell Brad that she needs to be alone, and actually being firm about it, is a sign of growth. Denial has helped her cope with things but they never really helped her move on. Now she's seeing the light. And you are making perfect sense :)

      It was good for Brad to open up to Lyn. Not just for his sake, but for hers because she was able to troubleshoot the root of Brad's actions. Hurt or be hurt. Lyn is the first woman that he has opened up to about this on a personal level, and it could be the road to growth. Haha an "unhealthy" relationship between doctors. Good one, and quite an irony :P

      That's why I created Heat. Just to be able to explore Luke and where he comes from. I hope you enjoy it! Oh, and Somewhere In Time is one of my favorite movies of all time. That was my inspiration for Jesse and Emma.

      Thank you for the kind words and feedback!

      Delete
  6. *folds arms and levels a stare at Lyn, tapping her foot and waiting for her to get a clue*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...you may have missed it. This was the chapter where she started to see the light about Brad and Luke.

      Delete
    2. Mhm, I realize that. I just was ready for her to go running after him.

      Delete
  7. I...I...Lyn

    There is so much I wanna say but I am just like....okay, I am going to say this, and maybe it will make sense.

    You are what I want to be in an author. I want to be able to pull someone in, leave them wanting and waiting and hoping...I just...there is so much I want to say about this story, but for the most part, I am just waiting and hoping. I hope that one day I can just be as well of an author as you are.

    Now, about the story...all I have to say is...Oh my god. Just...wowza. I am not sure how to feel about Brad. I am glad he told Lynn the truth about his family, and I know many people are not happy because he is William and that he killed them all but...what I have to say is this. That is a past life. I feel we all have past lives so we can learn and grow and all that...so I feel the same with any story that has past lives.

    Yes, he did that in a past life, but does that make him terrible? Let's think if past lives are real (mostly saying that for people who don't believe) there are probably many things that have happened in your past lives (if they are real) that you have done that are just as bad. If we were living their current past life, then yes, I see why hating him about being William...but Brad is now Brad, not William. They are two different people, though maybe the same soul. That's my say on the matter.

    But now...I think Luke and Lynn have the better chance together. Not because of the past lives, but because....I think for the moment, that is what they both need. Luke needs a sweet, devoted girl, and Lynn needs a sweet, devoted gentleman.

    My vote is in and this is it. I hope Luke and Lyrnn can start seeing each other. But by the same token, I hope Lynn and Brad can at least be friends and see eye to eye.

    I so want to say so much more but...*shakes her head* I am not sure what else there is to say besides that this and the past chapters have been amazing. I do envy you, truly. *hugs tightly* Hope everything is going well for you and I can't wait till the next update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Vera...I'm speechless. I got teary-eyed reading your comment because it was so unexpected and humbling. I never thought I'd see the day when someone would say that to me. I have felt that way about my favorite authors, admiring their work and wishing I had their talent, hoping one day that I'd find my own voice. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. You have made my whole week.

      There times when I do get discouraged, knowing how much work and time is involved, wondering if its worth finishing the stories and posting updates regularly. Sometimes I just want to walk away and be free to do something else. It's people like you that remind me why I write, and why I give Memoirs and Heat my all.

      I agree, Brad did the right thing by telling Lyn about his past. Not even his two colleagues know about the abuse or his mom's abandonment, just the alcoholic dad. Until that point, Luke was the only person who really knew the truth about Brad.

      Your insight about past lives is awesome. I am particularly drawn to this subject, and its nice to see someone else acknowledge the possibility that we choose to come back to this world time and time again to learn our lessons. You make a good point about Brad being Brad and not William. Yes, he screwed up in this life, but what he did to Lyn and Luke happened in the past. Although it's hard for a lot of readers to get past that, and I understand why.

      Wow, so you're officially Team Luke? I know you were wavering back and forth between Luke and Brad before :P I guess Lyn's history with Luke really sealed the deal for you huh? And I agree, they both deserve to be with someone sweet and devoted.

      There is absolutely nothing to envy :) What I have produced comes from practice, newfound love for literature and a need to share the experiences of my characters. Anybody can do it, really, as long as they come from an honest place and they're not afraid to put themselves out there. If you ever decide to take up writing, feel free to contact me: tommiegirl_ca@yahoo.com. I'd be happy to help you with ideas.

      Hope you're doing well! Can't wait to hear from you again soon :) *HUGS TIGHTLY*

      Thank you so much for the kind words and feedback!

      Delete
  8. ~ OK,were do I start............Brad after seeing everything clearly,from his past still has no clue!!!!!
    ~ He killed her in a past life,but in his present life,he still has not realized one thing,that Luke/Jesse was the love of her life her soul mate,the one she defied time to find!
    ~ I will give him this he finally realized what happened when Luke was kissing Lyn,not that he realized that that is ALL that happened,but that they found each other!AGAIN!
    ~ I will be back to finish this Lyn.(",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Brad may know what happened in the past life, but the significance of Jesse's return as Luke still hasn't completely sunk in. He did start to talk about it, but Lyn didn't feel comfortable and changed the subject.

      I'm looking forward to the rest of your comment :)

      Delete
  9. Going back to your previous comments in chapter 42, you mentioned you did consider Jesse being hanged for something, but for a different reason, what reason were you thinking of?
    Okay so I'm glad Lyn is deciding to be alone here and being more willful! Although, I'm doubting her ability to be alone to think with clarity for very long. :( I'm still saying "no" to her and Brad...sadly in their relationship they communicated sexually rather than talking things out, and today shows how she had to almost push out details of his early life. He doesn't really trust Lyn. I think Brad could use therapy to help him come to terms with his past.

    As for her and Luke...hmm I am a little iffy. I mean we never really got to see in the past life how their relationship turns out given their deaths. Maybe it would have gone stale. Maybe the idea of their love being forbidden makes it more enticing. I think Lyn being with Luke and marrying him would really damage his friendship with Brad (although that's been damaged somewhat already).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking along the lines of William finding out about Emma and Jesse's affair but accusing Jesse of adultery, which leads to his hanging. William would probably use his wealth and community influence to publicly crucify Jesse but spare Emma, just to get rid of her lover. Hmm..so I guess it's related to what you suggested. lol

    I know what you mean about having doubts about Lyn's ability to think clearly, especially when it comes to Brad. Like you said, their relationship was mostly sexually driven with little emotional intimacy. That was Brad's fault because he was too afraid to open up to Lyn. You're right, he never really trusted her completely. He definitely needs therapy to help him deal with his issues.

    Forbidden love could have been a motivator for Emma and Jesse's attraction for each other, but they did love each other. Jesse's fears about not being good enough sabotaged what they had when he left. Emma's fears about raising a child alone drove her to marry someone else. They actually made plans to divorce their spouses but they never had that chance. William killed them.

    I definitely agree about Luke and Brad's friendship being damaged.

    Thanks for your feedback, Emerain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad to see that she is thinking. I am also glad that she had Brad leave as well. I hope it isn't too late for her to get to Luke. I also hope she really tries to since it would be tragic if she lost him again.... I doubt that chance will come again... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete