Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chapter Forty-Five (I'll Stand By You)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. (44) Tears Dry On Their Own
-After Luke left, I ran upstairs to my bedroom
to try and make sense of what just happened.
-Brad asked what Luke was doing here.
-I told him that Luke needed to talk to me about something. 
-To my surprise, Brad admitted that he saw
everything that happened in my flashbacks,
especially Luke's connection to Jesse.
-Even though he implied that Luke and I finally
found each other, I changed the subject.
-I asked Brad why he never told me about his alcoholic father.
-He ended up telling me about his painful past,
including his mom's abandonment, being abused
and having to take care of J.C., his younger brother.
-He was afraid that if I found out, I would leave him.
-I told him that he was wrong, that I would have
loved him more because of it, but he never gave me a chance.
-I found myself needing to be alone, wishing
Luke was still here.

*Strong language*

 photo Screenshot-2-5.jpg

Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Date: Tuesday, 11/8/2011
Time: 5:27 p.m.

I can feel the oxygen flee from the microscopic air sacs that make up my lungs, or at least the remains of it, as I try to process the information relayed on the phone. Dead. Everything else becomes static noise after that, even though I am fully aware that Brad is breathing on the other line---barely. It feels as if someone just dunked my head in the toilet bowl, submerging my face as it flushes, as I try to gasp for air. I clutch my cellphone with all of the strength that I have left, trying desperately to prevent my knees from buckling. My free hand absentmindedly reaches for the surface of the kitchen island as I mutter, "What?!" 

"Yeah. I just got off the phone with J.C." Brad's solemn voice---bordering on hopeless---starts to crush any hope I have left that it's all a mistake. That they have the wrong person.

"Oh my God, no!" 

"He's like a father to me. He was---damn it!"

"Poor Luke..." A heaviness falls on me like a net made of iron chains, dragging me down, as I try to support the rest of my weight against the sturdy corner of the island. For him to come home to this, after the way I left things. The shattered look in his eyes before he walked out the door. Oh, how I wish I can just take him in my arms right now. Tell him it's going to be okay. Let him know he's not alone...but...I'm not even sure if I deserve to do that. "I can't even..."

"Do you think you can go check on him? I would, but...I'm probably the last person he wants to see right now."

Check on him? Coming from another person, this suggestion sounds logical. But coming from Brad---knowing the fall-out he had with his best friend---almost defies reason. He actually wants me to go to Luke. "What makes you think he'll talk to me?"

"He will...once he sees you."

For a moment, everything falls completely silent. Somewhere in the rubble of my chaotic mind and the trepidation of my own heart, there lies a seedling of hope faintly emerging, coaxed by Brad's unwavering statement. He sounds so sure of it, as if there is no other interpretation left for doubt. "I don't know, Brad." 

"I'll take care of Nikki. Just leave a spare key in your mailbox."

"Alright. What's his address?"

 photo Screenshot-4-5.jpg

As I look back in my rearview mirror, watching the small town of Appaloosa fade off into the tired afternoon sky, I know there's no turning back. I hadn't planned on going back to Bridgeport this soon, let alone see Luke. I didn't even pack anything, not one shirt, not one pair of pants, not even a toothbrush. Just my purse, cellphone and a full tank of gas. After leaving the spare key in the mailbox, I drove off with nothing but hope. Hope that Brad is right. Hope that I'll have the courage to keep on driving, despite the negative memories still lingering in the dark corners of my mind. Hope that I'll be able to bring some comfort to Luke---if he'll let me in long enough to explain myself, to explain everything.

But could I really just show up like this? Without warning or permission? My heart starts to suffocate at the thought that he might not be home when I get there. Or worse yet, he might be in the company of another woman---comforting him. Shit. At a time like this, it could very well be a possibility. 

Fear takes over. Even as I grasp the steering wheel with both hands, trying to focus on the road, the desire to go back home and avoid rejection grows by the second. Just when I think about turning the truck around, I'm plagued by something even stronger than fear: guilt. The mere idea of Luke having to go through this alone---as if the whole world just abandoned him---triggers flashbacks of my own darkest hours. Nobody should ever have to go through that alone. Ever.

When I finally muster up the courage to call Luke and let him know I'm coming, it automatically goes into his voicemail. Not even one ring. The mere sound of his voice causes a wave of panic, deserted by words, knowing the seconds are counting down before that inevitable "beep". 

"Hi, this is Luke Rossi. Sorry I missed your---"

I hang up.

 photo Screenshot-5-6.jpg

By the time I'm within city limits of Bridgeport, I can see the cluster of lights adorning every single building---reminiscent of the hot, bright center of a galaxy---drawing everything in by its gravitational pull, bringing it to life. This city, which contains all the memories of my childhood, all the remnants of my hopes and dreams, my happiness and sorrow, all the pieces of a life I once knew---boils down to a single bridge. The moment the tires make contact with the concrete deck, passing every single suspension cable in its path, I become flooded by memories of the last time I was here---looking down at the water, tempted to jump. I try to look away and fight the tears, hoping to avoid the pain that's creeping back in, but my heart won't let me. 


Everything comes back like snippets of a movie, just as vivid as yesterday. Coming home to find Brad's sweaty body writhing with Naveah's, the pleasure that leaked out of their mouths, my heart being sliced apart by razor blades, the regret on Brad's face, the shame on hers, the horror in her eyes as I smashed her face to a pulp, smelling the fresh copper in her blood, the urgent need to witness her last breath. 

Running down the stairs in humiliation, Brad chasing me down the street, begging for me to come back, being saved by a cab and telling the driver to take me to the bridge. Stopping at the bridge, leaning over the railing, wanting the pain to stop so bad, wondering what would happen if I jumped. Wondering if I'd finally be free...wondering if anyone would care if I washed up on shore.

What was it that stopped me? What was it that convinced me to turn around, get back in a cab and head to Appaloosa? Maybe it's what saved my life---and the very same thing that brought me back---guilt. 

Or could it have been...Luke?

 photo Screenshot-72-2.jpg

Location: 1557 Memorial Parkway
Time: 7:42 p.m.

With what seems like eternity between knocks---my heart trying to escape through my throat---I can hear scuffling of feet and a twist of a doorknob. Dear God. He's home. The door slowly gives way, revealing perfectly chiseled abs, a rock-hard chest and bulging arms kissed by tats. If my jaws dropped to the floor and slipped on my own slobber, I wouldn't know it. There's only so much hotness my brain can process. 

The moment my eyes land on his, I can feel my neurons jump and crash blindly into each other, like electrically charged microchips sinking into a bottomless ocean of warm, pale, lustrous green. But this glimpse of paradise is short-lived. The muddy sediments of pain turn the waters a murky olive, like a cobalt sky ambushed by gray clouds,  highlighting the puffiness around his eyes. 

"Lyn..." He whispers, as if saying my name will help him differentiate between a dream, a nightmare and reality. The sparkle and vitality in his eyes---that never fail to make my heart skip a beat---flicker down to its last embers, overwhelmed by the weight of despair. 

"Oh, why you
 Look so sad?
The tears are
In your eyes
Come on and 
Come to me now"

 photo Screenshot-8-7.jpg

"Hi..." I manage to say, still standing at his door, at a loss for anything that remotely sounds like the English language. Seeing Luke like this...just kills me. It absolutely kills me. And I can literally hear and feel the tear of every artery, every capillary and every blood vessel in my heart.

"What are you doing here?" 

"Brad told me what happened...I'm so sorry."

"Yeah..." As if reminded once again of his nightmare, he finally breaks the spell of his gaze and looks down at the floor.

"I thought I'd see how you're doing. I tried to call, but you didn't answer." I explain, realizing that he still hasn't invited me in, nor has he given any indication of doing so. Suddenly feeling foolish for showing up---I try to make a dignified exit by adding, "Anyway...I'm sorry about the other night. I just...I was...I understand if you don't want---"


"Shhh. It doesn't matter," He interrupts gruffly as he picks me up in his arms, carrying me inside, kicking the door close. "You're here. You're really here."

"Yes." Our eyes meet again, a sort of glimpse into the creation of the universe, into the very same instant that time revealed itself, igniting the spark of consciousness and cellular memories of each incarnation. 
My Jesse. Words become obsolete at the throbbing of my heart and the urgency in my warm breath, mixing with his. Gently cupping his brutally handsome face, I whisper breathlessly, "I'm here." 

 photo Screenshot-12-7.jpg

As he loosens his hold on me, my body slowly slides down against his. Without thought, he pulls me close, so close that not even air particles can wedge themselves between his skin and mine. Not even the fabric of my own top. I can feel the cotton fibers dissolving under the balmy temperature of his smooth skin---pressing, radiating, bubbling. His lungs expand as his lips brush against the top of my head, kissing it softly as he mutters, "God, I missed you."

"I missed you too," I reply quietly, my eyelids shutting close, as if that's the only way I can really tell that I'm not dreaming, as my hands slowly roam up and down his back. I can't believe I'm here, in his apartment. My face resting on his bare chest, I become entranced by his scent---a mixture of salty sweat, breezy CK Free cologne and delicious pheromones of a man that evoke raw desires, deep inside.

"Did you?" His voice trickle into my ears, tinged with ache, a need---a hunger for something I can't describe. A dam of suppressed energy destined to flood and submerge everything in its sight---including me.

"Yes. More than you know." Overcome by my own emotions, I can no longer tell who's pulse is hammering wildly. I can no longer control the shortness of my own breath as I try to maintain my balance---and coherence---in his arms. I simply give in to the silence and stillness of the moment.

"And don't be
Ashamed to cry
Let me see you
Through
Cause I've seen
The dark side too"

 photo Screenshot-13-4.jpg

In the purity of our embrace, reality forces its way between us, knocking us out of our spell. I can feel Luke's body tense up against mine as he tries to hold back the tears, but the jerkiness of his breath tells me it's too late. His hands close in on my arms tightly, bordering on pain, but I bear through it. His eyes, which are now red and heavy, search mine---as if they contain the answers---or the magic remote control that can rewind time and bring his father back. Then a sort of haze washes over his face as he blankly looks through me and whispers, "He's gone..."

Knowing its going to be a long night, I take his hand and lead him towards the bed, where he can at least lie down. "You should sit down."

"He's gone," Luke says weakly, as he sits on the edge of the bed. Shaking his head, he buries his face in his hands, unable to restrain the deep, guttural sobs---causing his whole body to shake and sink in defeat. "My d-daddy's gone! Why? W-Why??"

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry," I climb on the bed with him, rubbing his back, not able to fight back my own tears, feeling completely helpless. 

"I just saw him a f-few days ago. We had d-drinks with my bro-thers. Then...then they found his body in his car last night. In the parking lot. A gunshot to the chest and m-mouth. They think it's suicide but there's no note."

"Oh, no..."

"Suicide! They think he committed s-suicide! Why would he do that? And why would he do it at the firestation? It just doesn't add up!"

"I know, baby. Let it out."

"I know my dad! He wouldn't kill himself!" In the brief moment that he flashes his green eyes at me, there's a fury, a thirst for vengeance that sends shivers up my spine. Not necessarily because I fear for my own safety, but because of the coldness behind it. A justified means to an end. "Someone murdered him, I know it! And if I ever find out who did this, I swear to God, I will put those same bullets between their eyes. I swear to fucking God!! I swear---"


"So if you're mad
Get mad
Don't hold it all inside
Come on and
Talk to me now
Hey there
What you got to hide?
I get angry too
Well, I'm a lot like you"


 photo Screenshot-14-2.jpg

"Come here," I scoot towards the middle of the bed, motioning for him to come closer so I can hug him. Instead, he shifts his body so that I'm securely tucked in his arms, with our legs intertwined. Quietly, I reach for a tissue and wipe the tears off his face, listening to his sobs subside. With one hand holding a clean tissue while the other hand smooths out his damp hair, I gently instruct, "Blow your nose."

After emptying his red, congested nose, he wraps his arms around me and pulls me even closer to him, reuniting the cozy warmth of our bodies. "Lyn?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you..."

"For what?"

"For being here." 

"Why wouldn't I be? You've always been there for me."

"Lyn..." There's a change in his voice, in the way he says my name, that takes over the rest of his body, shifting and pressing against mine. The way his hands gently cup my back, moving up and down in such finesse that it feels light as a feather, but wakes up every pore that holds a hair follicle on my skin.

"Y-yes?" I whimper, lost in his scent, drowning in his warm, quickening breath grazing my neck, paralyzed by this air of electricity between us. This thick, magnetic, primal, emotional, sexual energy weaving around the bed---swirling, coaxing, enveloping---wearing down our defenses.

"I need you...I need you so bad."

"I'll stand by you
Baby even to your
Darkest hour
And I'll never 
Desert you
I'll stand by you"


*Copyright 2013 Lyn C.S.* 

---------------------------------------

"I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders

Video by: mrtamberineman123

13 comments:

  1. Dearest Lyn,
    Thanks for telling me about the update. It was just the thing I needed to see before my day comes to a end. It makes me sad to hear someone died or was killed but the way you wrote this latest chapter was really awesome I think its your best work yet. Keep up the good work wild thang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm glad I was able to make your day just a bit better :) This chapter was difficult to write, especially having to see Luke like this. But something good did come out of it. It brought Lyn to him.

      Thank you for the kind words and feedback, Tom!

      Delete
  2. YES! YES! YES!

    *fistpumps, runs wildly around in circles, dances the Macarena, hopes the door doesn't hit Brad in the ass on the way out*

    Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way, time to be adult. This was really, really good. And, AND...yes, I will give Brad grudging props for saying Lyn should go, considering he has to know her feelings. So, kudos to him for that.

    What's interesting is that for a lot of people, a reaction to a death is to want to have sex, believe it or not. They say it's an affirmation of being alive. So, what Luke is doing isn't necessarily out of place or inappropriate. It's actually pretty common. So, hopefully Lyn doesn't flip out.

    Poor baby Luke. I'm so happy she's there, but the circumstances really are lousy.

    Wonderful chapter, Lyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ the "firstpumps, runs wildly in circles, dances the Macarena". You crack me up! I knew you'd be happy with this chapter. I had you in mind as I wrote it. :P

      Noooo! More dancing around in circles! You know, I was actually surprised at Brad in this chapter. I knew he was going to be the one to break the news to Lyn but I didn't expect him to actually send her to Luke. Joseph's death really hit him and Brad felt awful for Luke. Yes, he definitely gets kudos for this.

      You make a really interesting point about sex as a natural reaction to death. And I think there's a lot of truth to that, especially when that person was very close to the deceased. It definitely is an affirmation of life, perhaps just a way to feel something besides shock and numbness? Hmm..it hadn't occurred to me that Lyn would flip out. Then again, there's no telling how she'll react to what he said until the scene presents itself again.

      I felt awful for Luke. So awful. But like you said, there is a silver lining in this tragedy and it brought them together.

      Thanks for the kind words and feedback, Karri!

      Delete
  3. This was such a great update! You just did a great job portraying all the different emotions the characters must be going through.

    I feel really sorry for Luke, but having Lyn by his side at this moment is the best thing that could happen to him (to both of them, actually). Now I SERIOUSLY need to go and read Heat ;-). I'll let you know when I'm done :-).

    Oh, and the choice of music was just beautiful. One of the most moving songs by The Pretenders -I love it-, and it went really well with the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm glad you were able to pick up on the emotions of the characters because I was crying as I wrote this chapter. It was very difficult, especially seeing Luke like this. Then Lyn having to face her demons when she returned to Bridgeport added to it even more.

      I still feel bad about Joseph's death. I almost didn't want to go through with it because he's such an integral part of Heat, but I knew it would be a big catalyst for both stories. This tragedy, however painful it is for Luke (and I still haven't even covered the rest of the family's reaction), was an eye opener for Lyn, Luke and Brad. Moreso for Lyn and Luke.

      You know, Heat overlaps with Memoirs so much that even if you just scan through the chapters, you wouldn't miss that much since a lot of the important events are also covered in Memoirs. But if you are still interested in Luke's point of view, as well as his family, feel free to read it. No pressure.

      Initially I was going to use "By Your Side" by Sade, but changed it at the last minute when I listened to "I'll Stand By You". Definitely more emotional and fitting for the chapter. It's one of my favorite songs :)

      Thank you for the kind words and feedback, Marsar!

      Delete
  4. Suicide....with two shots....really makes no sense and any coroner worth their degree will be able to call bullshit on that!!!!

    Brad sent Lyn to him. He knew that Luke would need to see her because he knows they are meant to be together. If he's any kind of a man (and you know I think he's worse than dog shit LOL) he'll stop this and walk away. He had his chance TWICE and fucked it up!!! Nope he needs to admit defeat and let it go.

    OMG my Luke..that was so hard to read. really really really hard to read. He's so close to his father and to come home to that and we haven't even gotten to hear his feeling and thoughts yet but even seeing it through Lyn's eyes was still painful. Suicide?!?!?!?!?! That is fucked up and I see them trying to say that is from guilt over the fires and since someone died and blah blah blah but yeah that medical examiner better call bullshit on that theory real quick!!!!

    She went to him!!! She had a moment there where she had to face a bit of her demons with remembering that night being back at the bridge. But she went to him and he needed her to be there!

    Now I am impatiently jumping up and down in my seat waiting to see this scene pick up in Heat!!!! Will they finally FINALLY give in to those desires????? OH Lyn PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let them give in to those desires!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now the debbie downer part of this as I think if they do and if in the heat of the moment it's condom less that could be a sticky situation if she ends up pregnant. Oh nevermind...you said that when she was with Brad he never um 'finished' right??? So then this could be all Luke's :D WOOT!!!! ok ignore this part LOL. But man release Heat already!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they claimed that it was suicide when they found Joseph's body. They took his car and body back to the parking lot of the firestation and made it seem like he took his own life. Even Luke noticed the hole in this theory and the coroner hasn't even examined the body yet.

      Joseph's death really hit Brad and made him feel awful for Luke. He didn't see it coming, and he actually saw past his selfish needs and thought of Luke's welfare, knowing he needs a good friend. And he knows Lyn is probably the best person to comfort him since they are close. Was it a risky move on Brad's part? Yes. But at this point, all he can do is wait for her return and see where he stands with her.

      Remember when we talked about how hard this chapter would be? It was harder than I thought, especially as I started writing it. I was crying during Luke's scene when he was saying "He's gone" and "My daddy's gone!" Ugh, that just...killed me. And I'm not looking forward to writing this chapter from his point of view in Heat. THAT's gonna be tough since his memories are closely tied to Joseph. You make a good point about the suspects making it seem like Joseph killed himself over guilt. Over the dead victim. And they might be able to pull it off if the coroner confirms it.

      Yes, she went to him. This forced her to go back to Bridgeport and face some of her demons. Brad's instinct was right. Luke really needed her, and she was there for him.

      OMG your comment about the "sticky" situation cracked me up! No pun intended :P I have thought of that possibility, if Luke and Lyn ended up having unprotected sex. And if she got pregnant, knowing she recently had sex with Brad. But like you said, Brad used a condom and he never "finished". I even asked my husband about this. I was like, "Can someone get pregnant if they use a condom and don't come?" He said, "Nope. No come, no baby." LOL! So yeah, if Luke released his boys, the probability would be in his favor.

      The next chapters covering Lyn's visit to Bridgeport will also be the same ones covered in Heat. Ch. 19 from Heat will cover this chapter from Luke's POV since he's back in Bridgeport. So the new updates to watch out for will be from Memoirs.

      I knew you'd like this chapter. I also had you in mind as I wrote it :)

      As far as Luke and Lyn giving in to their desires? All I can say is stay turned! *evil smile*

      Thanks for your feedback, Mica! I loved it!

      Delete
  5. Good chapter, poor Luke, I feel so bad for him. Im sure his dad didn't commit suicide either, he had a happy life and a wife he loved dearly. All I can say to Lyn is, Pick Luke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joseph's death broke my heart but at the same time, it brought Lyn and Luke together. You're right, at least Joseph had a happy life and he was loved by many. I just wish it wasn't so devastating for the family.

      Pick Luke huh? lol Stay tuned.

      Thanks for your feedback, Kristine!

      Delete
  6. Oh Luke, Luke Luke! Darling Luke! I wish I was there to comfort him. I can't even begin to imagine how he feels. It breaks my heart to see him like that. He's right though, how can they say it was suicide. All of his family have to realise that. Joe wouldn't have killed himself knowing what he's be leaving behind. I just feel so sad for them all.
    As much as I want Lyn and Luke together I don't think now is the right time, Luke is vulnerable. I don't want Lyn to feel that she has to because of Luke feeling so down, if that makes sense. Just being there for him right now is what he needs.
    I wannna cuddle him!lol! great chapter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Joe's death broke my heart, but seeing Luke like this is even more difficult, knowing how close he was to his dad. Then for them to claim that he committed suicide adds insult to injury. Like you said, those who really know Joe will refuse to believe that he'd take his own life, knowing what he's leaving behind. Those that don't will have to rely on the coroner's examination.

      Luke is definitely vulnerable and he needs comfort. Lyn will have to decide what she's comfortable with. Luke wouldn't put any pressure on her if she wasn't. LOL you wanna cuddle him huh? Awww, you're so sweet! :) I think Luke would like that.

      Thanks for your feedback, Clairey!

      Delete
  7. Wow, Brad sent her to Luke. Brad is a little redeemed. heh.
    Poor Luke... He has a lot going on and I can definitely understand his turmoil and anguish and anger.... and two shots for suicide, one to the chest? Suicides aren't to the chest, they're to the head.... sloppy cover up by someone... :(
    Lyn is with Luke though, I hope they can find comfort and healing in each other.

    ReplyDelete