Friday, August 16, 2013

Chapter Forty-Eight (Hurt)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 47 (You And I)
-Knowing I wouldn’t be able to make the two-hour drive
back to Appaloosa, I decided to call sick from work.
-I made pancakes, Luke’s favorite, but we didn’t even
get to finish our breakfast.
-We ended up having a tryst on the dining table.
-Afterwards, Luke and I slow danced, just like his parents.
-He sang “You and I” by Stevie Wonder to me, which
happens to be one of my favorite songs.
-It was that moment that I realized he’s the one I’ve been
looking for all my life---and I started to have dangerous
visions of a life with him---being his wife and the mother 
of his children.
-This grasp of happiness was so close, I could taste it, but
it terrified me. Terrified of losing him all over again.
-He asked why we’re not together, and I freaked out.
-I couldn’t give him answer and the pressure was too much.
-He got angry and lashed out at me, telling me to go back to Brad.
-I lashed back by accusing him of being a scared little chicken
shit who left me high and dry---twice.
-Not only did he tell me to leave, bu he also said he wished he
never met me. I was crushed.
-Even his saying “I love you” wasn’t enough to keep me from
walking out the door.

 photo Screenshot-2-8.jpg

Location: 272 Windsor Drive
Date: Wednesday, 11/9/2011
Time: 11:41 a.m.

I must have sat in the truck for an hour, numbly watching the flecks of snow continuously land on the windshield. Instead of turning on the wiper to clear the white layer of ice crystals blurring my vision---I let it accumulate---hoping it will shield me from the rest of the world. I lean against the door, the side of my face pressed against the cold glass as another set of tears leak from my swollen eyes. Pulling the hood of my sweatshirt over my head, I curl up in a near-fetal position as I try to keep myself warm---and hidden---an injured animal licking its fresh wounds.

Luke…The mere thought of his name hurts. The sound of his voice echoing through my head hurts. His laugh, his smile, the way his lips and hands have the ability to pause time; just enough to let my mind and body absorb the beauty of his touch. What was once a glimpse of heaven has now become the flashbacks of hell. What was once a dream has now become a recurring nightmare. And every moment of passion, every tender memory, every taste of closeness, every recollection of raw honesty in his eyes cuts through my heart repeatedly. With every teardrop---it cuts---slashing mercilessly at old scars.

Luke was my refuge when things went wrong in my life. He was my safe shore during perilous storms, and I crawled back to him for safety. And now…now that I finally felt safe enough to tread the water again, a tsunami knocked me down without warning, leaving me mangled, bruised and all alone. There is no refuge. There is nowhere to go for comfort.

And if I came back to Bridgeport only to be slapped by another disappointment, I might as well try to confront its source.

"I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real"

 photo Screenshot-4-8.jpg

Taking a deep breath, I gather my courage---and pieces of my heart---and force myself out of the car. The early chill of winter greets my face as I walk towards the front of the house, feeling even more anxious at the sight of the old familiar door. Bittersweet memories---mostly bitter, some sweet---greet me like long-lost relatives I haven’t thought about, but now recognize.

 The five year old girl who wondered why her mother never hugged her. The 11 year old sixth-grader who was punished and yelled at a lot, even when she didn’t understand what she did wrong. The overweight 16 year old high school junior who felt awkward, self-conscious and invisible because she was constantly compared to her older sister. The 22 year old working student who dreamed of the knight in shining armor who would rescue her from the realities of her stunted, sheltered life.

And now, the 26 year old would-be-doctor-turned-teacher who feels just as inadequate now as she did as a child---knocking at her parents’ door.

I take a deep breath, trying to instruct my heart to calm down.

As the door slowly opens, my father’s widened amber-hazel eyes greet me directly. The silence between recognition is brief, but long enough for both of us to notice. He blinks one more time, whispering, “Lyndsey…”

“Hi, daddy.” I haven’t called him this in a long time, but at this point, it seems to be the only thing that gives me solace. It reminds me that no matter how old I get or how far I move away from home, I’m still someone’s daughter.

“Sweetheart!” Without thought, he closes the door and takes me in his arms, whispering, “I’ve missed you.”

I’m not sure if it’s the familiar warmth of his embrace or the nostalgic aroma of Old Spice and pine-scented aftershave emanating from his jacket, but I shrink in defeat and start sobbing. “M-me too…dad…”

“What’s the matter?” he asks, briefly pulling away to search my face, “Have you been crying?”

“Everything has g-gone wrong. Every…thing.”

“It’ll be okay.” He pulls me closer, making me forget the snow falling on our faces, and soon, our body heat won’t be enough to fight off the blistering cold. But it doesn’t matter. In my father’s arms, I am that little girl again; beaten by the world, laughed at by fate and all I can really do is cry. And hope that my father can make the pain go away---perhaps make it all better. “I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”

“For what?”

“I should have…I should have protected you more. I should have been more involved.”

“Y-yes,” I reply quietly, burying my face in his neck, “you should have, dad. All my life I felt unworthy. Like…like I can never be good enough. I tried so hard to please you and mom...to be a good daughter…but…you always loved Naveah more than me.”

“That’s not true. I’ve always loved you. I just…I just didn’t know how to show it.”

“Oh, daddy…”

“I’m sorry, pumpkin,” he smooths out my hair and softly kisses my forehead, “I’m sorry I failed you.”

 photo Screenshot-6-3.jpg

As I sit on the old avocado colored sofa that spent most of its life wrapped in clear plastic---protected from inevitable stains and permanent human imprint---I become bombarded with the essence of a life I once knew. The dampness in the air, the lingering scent of potpourri scattered in ceramic vases, the almost penetrating aroma of wet lo mein noodles and fish sauce screaming to remind me of half of my identity and sturdy walls cradling family photos---and everyone else’s sanity.

There’s a quiet assurance as I look at my father sitting across me pensively. What I once took as distance and coldness from his demeanor now resonates as a subtle frailty of a man who did the best the he could---with what he knew. There’s weariness in his eyes, in the gray roots overtaking his dark locks, in the deep crows feet hiding behind his glasses and the force of age declaring itself on his face. Even as I fill him in on my life in Appaloosa---my house, Mr. Nunu, Nicki, my job as a teacher---the sadness in his smile is hard to ignore.

“Brad was here a few weeks ago,” he comments unexpectedly after a moment of silence.

I stare at the wooden floor for a moment before returning his gaze. “What did he want?”

“Well, he brought back your car,” he explains calmly before searching my eyes---as if dreading the words coming out of his mouth, “And…he told us what happened. We know what your sister did.”

“Oh.” I hadn’t planned on my family knowing about the failures of my personal life. It’s something I’d rather forget, but here they are, peering into my face again. They seem to be mocking me, basking in my fresh wounds, pointing and laughing, as if I was deluded enough to think that I can actually escape. What are you going to do now, Lyndsey? What did you expect? That the whole world wouldn’t know how pathetic you are? What are you even doing here? You think your parents are going to give you support? They seem to provoke. Even Luke doesn’t want you!

Enough! I’ve heard enough! I scream back at them, their voices morphing into something familiar---a particular shrill voice that I still dread to this day. The sound of my own mother berating me with her thick accent.

“Frank, honey, who’s at the---” Amidsts the footsteps, my mom appears with widened eyes gazing down at me. “Lyndsey…”

“Mom...”

"The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything"

 photo Screenshot-7-6.jpg

Without a word, not even a weak attempt at a half-hearted hug, she walks by me and sits down next to my dad. I can feel her brown eyes, which I apparently inherited, flash at me like the abrupt winter air---icy and piercing. A part of me hoped that she would at least acknowledge my return, but a part of me also knew that’s as foolish as expecting the next hour to be sunny, clear and a toasty 85 degrees. Summer will always be hot. Winter will always be cold. Leaves will always fall in autumn. It will always rain in spring. It would take nothing less than a miracle or a practical joke from God to make things any different.

“We also know about the baby,” my dad cuts through the awkward silence---and my mother’s evaluative head-to-toe stare, “I’m so sorry, honey.”

“Yeah…” I look away and shift in my seat in an attempt to control the pain and emptiness gnawing at my insides, threatening to flood my eyes. But I force myself to think of something else, anything that would prevent me from crying in front of this woman, who is a stranger to sympathy---or remorse, for that matter. Don’t cry. Don’t you dare cry!

 “I’m furious at Brad for what he did,” he adds, “I wanted to kill him. But if it wasn’t for him telling the truth, we would never know where to find you.”

My dad makes a good point. Brad didn’t have to say anything, let alone come here and own up to his actions. But he did, knowing he was risking his ties with my family. And the fact that he never mentioned it…could be a sign that he did it for me. Not necessarily for his selfish glory. “He gave you my address?”

“Yes, I forced it out of him.”

“So why didn’t you ever visit me?”

“I wanted to, but Adam told me to give you more time. You’ve been through enough as it is.”

“I need to talk to Nav. Where is she?”

“She’s staying with her friend Jessica.”

“She moved out?”

“We kicked her out after she admitted---”

“I never kick Nav out,” my mom abruptly rises, her eyes seething with contempt in my direction. “Your father did! You happy now? She was out on streets!”

 photo Screenshot-9-8.jpg

 “Xhun, stop! What are you---“ my dad immediately blocks her path, which appears to make its way towards me.

“It’s okay, dad. I can handle this.” I give him a grateful glance before summoning up my own courage to get off the couch and face my own mother. That tender moment of honesty between us earlier (my father and I) gave me a new backbone---a sort of quiet, knowing security that I was not alone---that my father has been on my side this whole time. Taking a deep breath, I look her dead in the eyes and retort, “Are you seriously blaming me for what happened? You’re still defending her? You’re still---”

“You no talk to me that way, little girl!” Her lips curl in that familiar wrath, nostrils flaring, letting me know that I pissed her off even more. “You better know your---”

“No. It’s my turn to talk.” Calmly, I take another step towards her with unwavering gaze, until we are face to face, barely a foot within each other. “And if I have to tie you up to get you to listen, I will do it,” I add, the silent fury boiling within me---a lifetime of unleashed fury---letting it pierce her almond-shaped eyes, her face, her throat, until it forces her to swallow whatever remnant of oxygen or saliva down her throat. “Don’t make me do it, mom.”

Silence.

“All my life, you’ve treated me like shit,” I continue. The moment she tries to look away, I grab her chin and force her to meet my eyes. “Look at me, damn you! You made it clear that you didn’t love me and you made it clear that Naveah is your favorite. I was never pretty enough, I was never skinny enough, I was never smart enough, my cooking was never good enough, the house could never be clean enough, I was damn near Adam’s nanny! She never had to do anything. She got away with everything. Me? I had to go to med school just to prove that I didn’t have to marry a doctor.

“Do you have any idea how much you messed up my self-esteem? Do you have any idea how much Nav hurt me when she slept with Brad? Of all people? Do you have any idea how close I was to jumping off the bridge when I found them together? I almost killed myself, mom! Because of what your daughter did! And you have the audacity to blame me for getting her kicked out?”

SMACK. The palm of her hand lands on my cheek---leaving a familiar, burning sting.

“You think…you can t-talk to…me like that?” Her voice breaks, failing to suppress the tears---and lash of truth leaking from her eyes. In a barely detectable flash of time, I painted a picture vivid enough for her to see what she has done. Despite her pride, she continues to emotionally attack---but I know she saw herself in me, gnawing at her forgotten conscience. “Because you move out? You think you grown? You’re nothing…b-but…ungrateful child!”

“You know what, Mom?” I shake my head in disgust. “Thank you. Thank you for helping me see what I needed to see. All these years, I thought there was something wrong with me. The truth is, it’s you. You’re just a sad, bitter woman who took everything out on me. I’m sorry your parents disowned you. I’m sorry you had to leave China at such a young age. I’m sorry you had to abandon your dreams when you married dad. But you have no right to treat me this way. And if I ever become a mother, I hope to God I never become like you.”

Her mouth drops with a gasp---as if that’s the only way to ease the blow of my words, hurled at her like shiny, pointed, sharpened spears---straight into her heart. This shock reverberates all over the walls of the living room, further intensifying the thick silence. I watch myself standing in front of my speechless parents. I watch myself become freed.

I turn to my father, kiss him on the cheek and whisper, “I love you, dad. Come visit me some time.”

I walk out the door.

"And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt"

 photo Screenshot-26.jpg

Location: Appaloosa Plains Public School
Date: Friday, 11/11/2011
Time: 3:35 p.m.

When I returned to work yesterday, I received a phone call from a parent who preferred to be called by her first name, Rosie. She wanted to set up a conference regarding her daughter’s behavior in class. I told her that I was available today after students are dismissed at 3:15 p.m. When she and her daughter entered my classroom, I was awestruck at this woman’s presence. Flaming mahogany hair that’s graying at the roots, a robust figure draped in earthy colored clothes, empty champagne eyes and heavy make-up. Sitting next to her is the very same girl who called me a "bitch" on my first day of work. She does not look pleased.

“Calla, you owe Ms. Santori an apology,” Rosie turns to her head-strung daughter, the tone in her voice serious and unflinching. “And we are not leaving until she gets one.”

“Whatever,” Calla briefly glances at me before rolling her pale blue eyes and looking down at my desk. “I’m not apologizing to anyone.”

“Do you know she’s the only teacher that actually talked to me first? Before writing you up?” Her mother continues to look in her direction---her disappointment evident---despite Calla’s refusal to look up and acknowledge either of us. “The rest of them send you to the dean with a referral.”

Silence.

I sit back and quietly study this girl in front of me. This 16 year old girl who is failing half of her classes, who is constantly getting in trouble, who is crying out for something---perhaps attention---who obviously feels unheard and invisible in her own way. I’ve been that girl. Calla wants to scream at the world while I shrunk away in self-doubt. The fact that her mother is here, trying to drill some sense into her, shows that she cares.

But where is the angst coming from? Could it be an absent father? Having just confronted my own parents---and my issues with them---I suddenly feel an obligation to this girl. She should not have to wait until she’s 26 years old with damaged self-esteem to try and make sense of her life. She needs guidance now---before it’s too late.

“Calla, I said this to your mom on the phone and now I’m going to say it to you,” I lean closer, carefully choosing my words and the tone of my voice. “I think you’re a bright girl, but you don’t want to show it. You obviously have an influence over the students, but you use that influence in a negative way. Now, I get that I have to earn your respect since I’m new, but you need to understand that there are consequences to your actions.”

“Wait…” She looks up and finally meets my gaze, somewhat bewildered by what I just said. “You think I’m bright?”

“Of course,” I flash her a warm smile, which instantly softens her guarded face. “When you decide to pay attention in class, you actually finish your assignments. And when you finish your assignments, other students do too.”

“Oh…” a soft chuckle escapes her lips as she looks at Rosie sheepishly---who is shaking her head but smiling---before returning to me in a sort of awe. “You notice that?”

“I notice everything.”

 photo Screenshot-3-9.jpg

“I’m sorry for disrespecting you, Ms. Santori,” Calla’s voice softens as she sits up in her chair, her true personality finally outshining the loud colors of her watermelon-inspired hair. She’s just like any other teenager---still a child---who needs something to believe in, and someone who believes in her. Some people call this encouragement. “It’s just…none of the teachers ever stick around and we pretty much gave up on learning.”

“I understand. And appreciate your apology.” A wave of warmth and calm washes over me as I absorb what just transpired. The girl who is known as the troublemaker, who was responsible for scaring away former teachers, who refused to apologize even in front of her mother---just opened up to me. They gave up on learning because everyone else quit on them. And it’s this very same moment that I realize where I need to be. Not in a hospital, but in a classroom. I can always go back to finish my residency, but I owe it to these kids to finish the school year. “Listen, I’m going to do my best to help you guys out. But I need your help too.”

“You do?”

“Yes. I need you to use your influence in a good way. I need you to be a good example.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re a leader, Calla. And leaders need to set an example so other people can follow.”

“Nobody’s ever said good things to Calla, Ms. Santori,” Rosie breaks her silence as she pats her daughter’s back. “She’s always getting in trouble.”

“That’s because they don’t see her the way I do,” I reply with the utmost sincerity, looking at Calla the whole time.

“Thank you, Ms. Santori.” A rare glow emanates from this teenager’s face, a mixture of pride and this thing that can be very hard for teachers to earn---respect.

“You’re welcome. Don’t forget, we have a test next week so you need to study. And I’ve been checking on your grades from your other classes. You’re failing half of them. If you want to graduate next year, you need to start stepping up.”

“Yes, maam.”

“Come on, sweetie. Your teacher needs to go home too.” Rosie gathers her purse as she rises up from her chair. “Thanks again, Ms. Santori. I’m really glad they hired you.”

“You’re welcome,” I reply, but my heart stops at the sight of Brad coming in. I told him that we needed to talk when I returned from Bridgeport, but he insisted that we do it over dinner. And I certainly didn’t expect him to show up in my classroom. Dr. Benson must have told him where I work. My eyes return to Rosie as I add, “Don’t hesitate to call me if you have any questions.”

 photo Screenshot-4-7.jpg

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Rosie mutters when she turns around and sees Brad standing behind her. “I didn’t mean to keep your husband waiting.”

“It's okay, this is Brad. He’s… a friend of mine.” I give a brief but somewhat awkward introduction as I step away from my desk. “Brad, this is Ms. Clem---”

“Brad?” She repeats his name almost reluctantly---as if it just triggered painful memories---but her eyes widen in undeniable recognition. “Bradley?”

“Mom?”

“What have I become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end”

*Copyright 2013 Lyn C.S.*
--------------------------------------

"Hurt" Cover by Johnny Cash
Original by Nine Inch Nails
Video by: GCBeep

20 comments:

  1. And now the plot thickens a liiiitle more! "Mom"????? Uh-oh...!

    Lyn's mother... What the hell is wrong with that woman? I don't get how she can be so cruel to her whereas she dotes on Naveah. It seems in this story all the characters' rotten self-esteems are rooted on them having very incompetent parents (except for Luke, that is). Let's hope they can heal, somehow; Lyn already has, in a way, when she confronted her mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are very sensitive to how their parents treat them, and it pretty much shapes the type of people they become. The healthy relationship between Luke's parents allowed him to grow up well-adjusted while Lyn and Brad's parents pretty much damaged their self-esteem.

      Brad running into his mom is also an opportunity for him to finally get some answers and heal. That's if he doesn't let his anger get in the way.

      Thanks for your feedback :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so proud of Lyn for standing up to her mother! She needed to get that off her chest it was a very long time coming! I am also happy to see her father grow a pair and try to make amends for not doing more. All she ever wanted was to feel like she was good enough and neither parent gave that to her. Her mom hated her and her dad seemed to be afraid of her mom. Maybe he felt like he was trying to make up for the fact her family disowned her, but Xhun needs to take responsibility and quit blaming the world for the short comings in her own life.

    I was really hoping for a show down between sisters, but that might be coming later (I hope please please please let Lyn beat that ass!!!!)

    and damn his mom. After all this time, wow what are the odds. That is about to become a really intense conversation. She just left them behind. Knowing how their father was, she just left them behind. That hurts and to see she has had other children. Damn.

    **a few remaining sniffles over Luke though** I'm not ready to give up on all hope of them getting back together. But she needs to face her demons first and one is down with the mother. Next comes the sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lyn held her feelings in most of her life, afraid that she would displease her parents. She was the good daughter who did what she was asked without questioning why. That's how life was and she accepted it. It wasn't until she became an adult that she started seeing how unfair things were and that's when her resentment began.

      Even though Xhun still refused to own up to how she treated Lyn, at least Frank made more of an effort to let his daughter know that she's loved, and he's on her side. That did wonders for Lyn's confidence, and allowed her to find the balls to stand up to her mom. Part of it was guilt towards his wife, and part of it was his attempt to keep the peace in the family.

      Lyn had no idea that Rosie also happens to be the mother who abandoned Brad and his brother. On top of not knowing that he has a 16 year old sister. Let's hope that Brad will stay calm enough to finally get some answers.

      As far as Luke is concerned, you will get to see how he's dealing with all this in the next chapter of Heat, which should be done by Monday. All three of them have a lot to sort through.

      Hmm...another sister showdown? We'll see :P

      Thanks for your feedback, Mica :)

      Delete
  3. That woman has no right to call herself a mother!
    You don't get to love one kid more than the other. I don't care if it's your first, second or 12th, your DAUGHTER is going through a rough patch of almost killing herself because of what her sister and Brad did. And you're hurting her even more by blaming her for everything???

    I didn't think it possible, but I've just found someone I disgust!

    Lyn wanted some form of closure and comfort after the rough 'break-up' with Luke, but going home was actually a bit of a mistake... Glad she got to talk to her dad again, though!

    'Mom'??????
    Okay, what the hell?
    Roller-coaster ride continues...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's not right for a parent to love one kid more than the other. Children notice it, and parents have no idea how much this hurts them, even when they try not to show it. Even my own students can tell when teachers bend the rules for some. So I can only imagine how much worse it is when a parent does this.

      Xhun is so blinded by her favoritism over Naveah that she can't even feel remorse for her other daughter's suffering. Lyn knows this and it makes her sad, but it's also making her realize that she's wasting her time waiting for her mom to change.

      The good that came out of her return was her mended relationship with her father. At least she knows one parent loves her.

      Stay tuned!

      Thanks for your feedback, JM :)

      Delete
  4. It looks like everyone is facing their pasts now. Boy, I hope that she tells Brad that they can't be together. I think she needs to stay away from men while she pulls herself together and deals with her issues. I cant watch that music video of "Hurt" it makes me cry. It is just so sad and you can feel the pain and sadness that Johnny Cash feels. But it is a beautiful song, did you know that the song was written by Trent Reznor and was originally recorded by Nine Inch Nails? I just learned that recently, I had thought that Jonny Cash wrote the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she does need some time to herself and sort out her issues before she thinks about getting involved with men again. This is very important so she doesn't repeat the same old pattern.

      I love this song. Like you, I can feel the pain and sadness in Johnny Cash's voice. There's also some regret there too and that's what makes it so powerful. I also thought he originally wrote this song until I looked up the lyrics for the chapter and it belongs to Trent Reznor. Crazy huh? Cash totally made this song his own and I prefer his version.

      Thanks for your feedback, Kristine :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the chapter 48 update I just read it it was very good. I don't really have much to tell you on it but all I can say is keep up the great writing. One more thing I think you should turn memoirs into a trilogy I think it could be a great one equal or even better then the Twilight Saga or Hunger Games or even the 7 books of Harry potter. Take care Wild thang and never stop writing its what you do best. Ps. I think Heat could be the same way as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. Hmm...a trilogy? I haven't thought that far ahead yet since I'm focused on actually finishing these stories. lol But we'll see what happens. I might get the writing bug again after a long break.

      I tried to read the first Twilight book and just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The characters just didn't have enough depth for me. The first movie wasn't bad though. I've seen the Hunger Games movie and it was okay. I expected more from all the hype. I was never into the Harry Potter movie series but maybe the books will be better. I'll have to check the first one out.

      Thanks for the kind words and feedback, Tom :)

      Delete
  6. Brad said mom and I almost spit cherry coke on my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy! Perhaps Lyn's Mom dislikes her so much because Nav isn't her father's child. Maybe the oldest is a love child or something..... what a horrible visit home... but it served its purpose and raised Lyn's perception a bit and made her stronger....

    The student interaction was great.... Then comes Brad. what a mess. can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your theory about Naveah being a love child is really interesting. That would explain a lot, wouldn't it? Lyn didn't get the answers she wanted from her mother but at least she restored her relationship with her dad. It definitely gave her confidence to finally confront her mom.

      Lyn had no idea that Calla is also Brad's sister and his mother has been living in Appaloosa the whole time. Stay tuned!

      Thanks for your feedback, Zhippidy :)

      Delete
  8. :O Mom?? Oh my gosh! Didn't see that one coming! That's gonna be an interesting conversation.
    This chapter was brilliant and I think it's what Lyn needed to do all along. I'm so happy her dad told her how he feels and I got really teary reading it. I can't believe her mom, it should have been Lyn slapping her not the way it was! But I'm also glad Lyn didn't smack her because I think she made her point very well. Her mom shouldn't have a favourite, she should love each of her children the same.
    I'm happy that Lyn was able to get through to Calla, I just hope things don't become awkward for her because of the bombshell at the end!
    Fantastic chapter, I can't wait to see how it ends and I'm also sad it's nearly all over! I really am going to miss this story. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yup. Mom. Brad caused Lyn to run off to some strange town, only to find out that's where she's been hiding this whole time. A lot of good---or bad---can come out of this encounter. Stay tuned!

      Lyn's was devastated by how things ended with Luke, but it forced her to finally confront her issues with her family, especially her parents. The scene with her dad was also emotional for me to write. It was such a turning point for her in the story, to realize that she is loved after all.

      Her mother's slap was a wake-up call. Like you said, she could have slapped back but she would have just stooped just as low. She started to see that her mother wasn't going to change.

      You will see how Lyn deals with this "awkward" encounter between Brad and his mom in the next chapter.

      I feel the same way. I will be glad to finish both stories but sad that I'll have to say goodbye to the characters, and the wonderful feedback from readers, especially yours.

      Thanks for the kind words, Clairey :)

      Delete
  9. Just when I think I know where you're going with things you throw in a monkey wrench!

    It's funny, as soon as Brad's mother turned around I was like, "oh, JC in drag."

    Hopefully Brad will, after an initial blowup, be calm enough to hear her side of the story. I'm quite certain there's a lot that went on between his parents he has no idea about. It would have to be a doozy to make a mother leave her children.

    I'm proud of Lyn for standing up to her mother. Ugh, that woman reminds me so much of my grandmother, who let bitterness run her life. I just hope that Lyn's father has the guts to continue to maintain a relationship with his daughter, even if her mother doesn't. It will speak a lot to his character.

    I have to admit, I'm dying to know how you're going to wrap this all up in two more chapters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL J.C. in drag. That cracked me up!

      It would benefit Brad to maintain his cool and hear his mom out. He has every right to be angry, but he also needs closure. He spent most of his life feeling abandoned, so this would be the start to his healing, as well as get some answers. I agree, it would take a pretty screwed up situation to make a woman leave her kids behind.

      Lyn needed to confront her parents, not just for herself but also for her own closure and healing. Even though her mother didn't own up to her actions, at least she restored her relationship with her dad. She and Frank will both have to make an effort.

      You will find out how this all ends soon.

      Thanks for your feedback, Karri :)

      Delete
  10. Hmm I think it was brave and good for Brad to own up to his wrongdoings to Lyn's parents. At the same time though, I do wonder if it's really his place to reveal so much to her parents. I mean Lyn was embarrassed when her dad mentioned knowing that she lost the baby, which made me think that it should have been up to Lyn to mention something so personal like that. Whereas, it would be more okay imo for Brad to confess his unfaithfulness to her parents. So I have mixed feelings about Brad's confessions. Thoughts?

    I'm so proud of Lyn for standing up to her mom! I can see her mom either being a) resentful towards Lyn now, or b) slowly realizing Lyn is right and respecting/paying more attention to Lyn since she's developed a backbone.

    Ooh the last part where Brad meets his mom is interesting. I think they'll reconcile and Brad can serve as a role model (at least in terms of school/career) to Calla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Brad did showed that he's capable of taking responsibility for his actions. It's a sign of growth. You do make a good point about what was within his place to reveal, regarding the baby. Obviously, Lyn wasn't ready to share that with her family. At the same time, that information allowed her father to see exactly what she had to deal with, and it made him feel even more empathy for his daughter.

      Lyn's restored relationship with her dad gave her the courage to finally stand up to her mom. At least she knows one parent is on her side. Her mother's reaction can go either way. She can feel more resentment or she can develop respect for Lyn. Ideally, it would be the latter.

      The possibility of Brad becoming a role model to his younger sister would indicate that he's capable for changing for the better. It's really up to him.

      Thanks for your feedback, Emerain :)

      Delete