Monday, May 27, 2013

Chapter Forty (The Only Exception)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 39 (Sparks)
-I held Lyn all night as she cried in my arms.
-I felt like the most awful human being on the planet
for causing her so much pain.
-Seeing her like that, so vulnerable, made me feel
unworthy but at the same time, very protective.
-In the morning, she made waffles and it brought
back so many memories of the life we used to share.
-I said, "How could I throw it all away?"
-She reminded me that it's all in the past and to put it behind us.
-I brought her to my meeting with Dr. Benson and Dr. Chan.
-Now she knows about my research on alcoholism and substance abuse.
-For a long time, I have kept that part of my life hidden,
but I suppose the time has come for her to know who I truly am.
-After the meeting, I asked if we could spend some time.
-To my surprise, she said yes.
-I decided to take her to one of my favorite places in Appaloosa.

 photo Screenshot-12-4.jpg

Location: Hangman's Tree National Historic Landmark
Date: Saturday, 11/05/2011
Time: 2:30 p.m.

If this is a dream, I don't ever want to wake up.  I really thought all hope was lost.  I thought I lost her for good.  But something amazing happened last night---something that even my own subconscious couldn't have imagined.  She let me in.  She actually let me in.  Not just in her home, but her heart...her body...even small glimpses of her fractured soul.  There was such a raw and desperate need in her liquid brown eyes, in her voice---something fragile and lost---as if she didn't want to be alone in her own agony.  And to be able to feel her soft body again, to savor her sweet scent, to kiss her moist lips and taste her sweat---while holding her in my arms for what seemed like eternity, as she sobbed---simply cannot be measured by words alone.  She needed me.  She needed me to make things right, to take a good hard look at the damage I've done and to help her pick up whatever pieces were left.  

 As we reach the top of the look-out point, I briefly close my eyes and take in the fresh, clean air.  The sight of the russet colored mountains, ever-flowing lake and scattered rooftops nestled between clumps of color-changing trees warms my heart.  There is no other place like this, especially not in Bridgeport, and what makes this place even more majestic is the giant barren oak tree.  There is something about that tree and the patch of flowers surrounding it.  Every time I come here alone, I'm filled with joy and sadness at the same time.  I can't explain it. 

When I turn to Lyn, she seems just as awestruck with the view.  With my hand gently resting on her lower back, I whisper, "This is it."

A soft smile---mixed with surprise---forms on her face as she searches my eyes, but she doesn't say a word.  She seems lost in her own thoughts.  Her hands reach for the wooden banister as she looks down, asking, "You've been here before?"

"Yeah. I'd come here every time I come to Appaloosa. Why, have you?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact, Luke took me here when he came down."

"Oh." The sound of Luke's name cuts through my heart like a butter knife, temporarily sending shooting pains at the edge of my lungs as I try to maintain my composure.  I had forgotten about Luke...and the fact that they slept together.  I had forgotten how Lyn tried to get back at me by rubbing it in my face.  And even though I haven't heard his name since last night, it doesn't hurt any less.  Nor does it change the fact that I want to claw his eyeballs out for touching her and...God knows what else he did.  I can start to feel my blood boil from the tips of my fingers to the nape of my neck.  But I also know that if I ever want any chance of getting Lyn back, I can never lose control over Luke. Counting to three, I take a deep breath and ask, "How did he know about this place?"

"He just did for some reason. Which is weird, because he's never been here."

"When I was younger 
I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
He broke his own heart 
And I watched
As he tried to reassemble it"

 photo Screenshot-1-2.jpg

Something about the mention of Luke's name...and Lyn's presence is unnerving.  There is a restlessness that's building from my insides, and I can't shake it off.  I feel as if I'm being gutted, one intestine at a time---along with a sense of helplessness---like I'm going to lose her.  The very thought of Luke brings that very same feeling, and it seems as if he's in the way---or he's gotten in the way before---somehow.  More and more the giant barren oak tree calls to me, but by another name. William...William. Without even thinking, I take Lyn's hand and tell her to meet me by the wooden bench.  As soon we are within a few feet of the barren oak tree, a heaviness takes over my body, as if the earth's own gravity has decided to take a break and sit on me.  In confused silence, our eyes dart towards the tree, then towards each other, before seeking refuge on the bench.  

"Can we just..." Her voice trails off as she scoots next to me until our thighs touch.  A tinge of need lacing her words.

"Yes," I murmur, knowing exactly what she wants even before she can finish it.  I felt the same need in her voice, this need to hold her close, to feel the warmth of her body once again.   It's almost like a quiet panic to be in this place again, but this time with the woman I love.  This used to be my sanctuary. I'd come here to just get away from all the stress, to be alone in my thoughts.  But to be here with Lyn---there's something sacred about it---but at the same time, there's an unexplained urgency, like something bad is going to happen and I need to hold on to her for dear life. "Come here," I say as I lay back on the bench, pulling her up until she's perfectly nestled between my legs, until her face rests on my chest.  At that moment, a sudden gust of wind causes a rustle among the bushes, making me wrap my arms around her even tighter.

"I feel so tired all of a sudden." She says as the weight of her body presses against mine.

"Shhh...it's okay." I lean down to smell her hair, getting lost in the fruity scent---with a hint of nostalgia---while her pulse continues to alternate with mine.  "I can hold you all day."

We lay in silence for a while, not saying a word, until all I can hear is her soft breathing.  She's falling asleep.  Hypnotized by the stillness of the afternoon sun and the alluring scent of camellias and roses wafting in the gentle fall breeze, ruffling a few tendrils of Lyn's long brown hair, I start nodding off.

"And my momma swore
That she would never
Let herself forget
And that was the day 
That I promised
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist"

 photo Screenshot-7-3.jpg

I find myself in the presence of that woman I had a dream of a few days ago.  The same golden hair, the same golden dress, the same pale green eyes.  Only this time, we're surrounded by a familiar sea of flowers and the watchful eye of the same barren oak tree.  This woman---she means the world to me.  Even more than I can explain.  My heart can barely contain all of the emotions she triggers.  Right now, at this very moment, I must be with her.  Even though we've only known each other for a month, I cannot imagine spending my life with anyone else.  Right here, by this barren oak tree, must be the chosen moment.

"Darling, I love you so." I take her hand in mine as I look into her eyes.  My heart feels as if it's frantically trying to escape the confines of my sternum. "I cannot wait any longer." 

"What is it, William?" 

"My sweet Emma, you make me very happy." Moisture dissipates from my throat. My hands feel clammy as I continue to squeeze hers.  A part of me wishes I can just dig a hole in the ground and hide, for fear of what she'll say, but it's too late now.  I can almost feel the words forming at the back of my throat, so I untangle my fingers from hers to reach inside my pocket---to pull out a velvet jewelry box.  This is it.  Ask her.  Taking a deep breath, I get down on one knee as I open up the velvet jewelry box in front of her, revealing a 3.17 carat Old European Cut, flawless light-yellow diamond set in platinum. Just like her eyes, they glitter in the sunlight, with facets throwing off bold flashes of fire. "Will you marry me?"

"Oh, William!" She gasps, peeking between the ring and me, her face glowing in excitement.  I just want to capture that moment forever. "Yes. Yes!"

 photo Screenshot-8-5.jpg

"Oh, I am the happiest man alive!" In my excitement, I fumble for the ring, nearly dropping it on the ground.  She actually said yes! Smiling, I look up at her as I hold the ring up, asking, "May I?"

Impatiently, she holds her hand out, wiggling her fingers. "Yes! Please!" 

"If this ring could only be half as lovely as you. This is but a small token of my love." I gently slip the ring on her finger, loving the way it sparkles on her hand, as if it belongs there.  It complements her so well, especially the way it flashes soft yellow colors in the sunlight, just like the golden locks of her hair.  

"Oh, William, it's beautiful. It is absolutely divine!" She tilts her hand from side to side, her eyes mesmerized by the glorious rock.

Despite the diamond's impressive size on her dainty hands, a part of me is still unsure if she  really loves the ring.  I want her to wear something that she'll be proud of, that will make her the envy among our friends.  She deserves the best. "Is it to your liking? I can get you something larger." 

She searches my eyes and lifts my chin up, saying, "No. It's perfect, my love." 

"I'm glad. It truly suits you."

 photo Screenshot-9-2.jpg

I take her in my arms and squeeze her tight.  This woman is going to be my wife.  It seems like yesterday when we met, when her father made our acquaintance possible at the benefit ball.   I just returned from my trip to France, having finalized my business contacts all over Europe.  I met many women who would have suited my requirements for a wife, but none struck my fancy the way Emma did, the moment our eyes met.  There was an emptiness in her eyes that she tried to conceal, but at the same time I knew a fire was brewing within.  I was even more determined to be the man that would fill that void in her heart.  As I kiss her lips softly, I whisper, "You are going to be Mrs. William Stafford. This excites me so."

"Yes...I like the sound of that." Her fingers trace the outline of my beard as she smiles at me, before gently cupping my face.  She seems to be searching for something in my eyes.  A brief but subtle wave of painful uncertainty passes through the soft contours of her features before her smile returns, erasing whatever trace of doubt she had.  Whatever that was---another man, a broken dream---it's now a fleeting thought when she says, "We must wed as soon as possible."

"Whatever's in your heart's desire, my dear. It is yours." I reassure her, watching the light return to her face as I try to focus on our future. "We will have the grandest wedding this town has ever seen.   It will be quite a celebration. It will be talked about for many years to come."

She exclaims, "Oh, William, I can hardly wait!" 

"Where would you like to honeymoon, my love?" I ask, my heart brimming in anticipation of being the first man to make love to such a pure and elegant woman as my Emma. I can already imagine her as the mother of my children, perhaps a son to take over my business when I grow old.

"France! I have dreamed of France since I was a young girl. The culture, the fashion, the food! Can we go to France, William?"

"Done. In fact, let's make it even more romantic.  Let's visit Egypt and China as well. We can make it a six month adventure."

"My head is spinning! Six whole months around the world! I can shout!"

"I am going to spend the rest of my life making you happy, Emma. I would give you the moon and stars if I could. Only if you give me your love."

"My love is yours, William." 

 photo Screenshot-3-4.jpg

My love is yours, William. This woman's voice echo in my mind when my eyes startle open.  For a moment, I'm in that strange state of displacement, when I can't tell what's real---the vivid dream state or the reality of consciousness.  My heart races as I scan my surroundings: the wooden bench I'm perched on, the sea of flowers, the barren oak tree behind us and...Lyn next to me...or Emma.  The distinct cry of mourning doves---hoo, hoo, hoo---mixed with soft chirps of chickadees, causes me to briefly glance at what I'm wearing.  No green ruffled shirt beneath a black suede suit or a fedora hat on my head, just a light blue cotton shirt and tan slacks.  The woman next to me is not wearing a gold chiffon dress, nor does she have blonde hair.  Instead, she's wearing a silk blouse and a gray skirt, with dark hair and liquid brown eyes---just like Lyn.  My pulse and breath returns to its normal state as I recover completely, realizing that we must have dozed off. It's almost five. 

She seems just as alarmed as I am.  I want to ask her if she had the same dream, but something is making me refrain.  Instead, another pressing question takes over my thoughts, making it necessary to find the answers now. "Lyn...I need to know something."

"What is it?" She asks in a somewhat groggy voice as she sits up straight.

"You told me last night that you and Luke..." The mere sensation of his name passing through my lips brings the butter knife back, pressing into my heart as I continue, "That...that he comforted you."

"Yeah...what about it?"

I can feel a sickness to my stomach at what I'm about to ask, because I've asked this question before.  It's like dejavu all over again.  That night when Lyn came home and she told me that Luke kept her company at the park.  This time, we're not together and Luke is still in the picture.  And now that they slept together, my worst fear my have come true. "Is there something going on between you two?" 

"Maybe I know
 Somewhere
Deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to 
Find other ways
To make it alone 
Or keep a straight face"

 photo Screenshot-5-3.jpg

"No...we've gotten really close lately. But we're just friends," she assures.

"Oh." A gust of oxygen escapes my lungs.  But I'm not really sure if I believe what I'm hearing. Despite how much it pains me to ask about Luke, I know that the only way to get to the truth is the direct route. "I thought by now he'd try to pursue you."

"Well, he felt that it would be best if he gave me some time to figure things out. He didn't want to complicate things even more for me."

"I see." Shit. Now I feel like a completely selfish asshole. What the hell am I even doing here?  There's no doubt in my mind now that Luke has feelings for Lyn. Knowing him, he would never choose such a selfless act unless he really cares about someone.  For him to stay away just to let her heal, that means he cares more about her happiness than his own. Shit, shit. Now I'm even more plagued with guilt over what I did with Natalie, and the fact that he still forgave me after that. How can I ever compete with a guy like Luke? I've tried---most of my life---but it seems he always came out on top.  Better looking, better family, better childhood, heroic, selfless, caring. Like he's Superman or something.  Who can compete with Superman? Finally surrendering to the truth, I say, "Luke is a good man."

"Yes he is.  I can see why he's your best friend. He really helped me get through these last few weeks. We practically talk on the phone everyday."

"I'm glad he was there for you." I twirl a lock of her hair around my index finger as I look into her brown eyes, which are glistening like amber under the the late afternoon sunlight. Luke is in her life, there's no doubt about that. He's been there for me as well, many times, and maybe one day, when we have this mess worked out, we can be friends again. Right now, they're not together. I still have a chance.  Just to confirm it one more time, I ask, "So...you're just friends?"

"Yup." She smiles.  Although there's something hiding behind her smile that I can't quite figure out.  Did she want something more with Luke? Was she disappointed that he made a decision to stay away, especially when she needed him most? Whatever it was, it probably wasn't important enough to speak up about.  If they wanted to be together, they'd be together by now. Adding to the finality of her answer, she says, "Good friends." 

Letting out a deep breath, I take her hand and place it on my chest.  There is something else I need to ask her.  This could determine where I stand in all this. "Lyn...do you still love me?" 

"Brad..." She looks away, as if I just asked her something that she's been avoiding for a while.

"Be honest, please...do you still love me?" I take her chin and force her to return my gaze.  "If you don't, I can respect that and leave you alone."

Her eyes finally confront mine, emanating a mixture of apprehension and a need to be freed by the truth.  The silence drowns out everything around us for what seems like eternity, as my heart continues to hammer, waiting for her answer. At an excruciatingly slow blink of her eyes, she murmurs, "Yes...I still love you."

"And I've always
Lived like this
Keeping a comfortable
Distance
And up until now
I had sworn to myself that
I'm content with loneliness
Because none of it 
Was ever worth the risk"

 photo Screenshot-102.jpg

All of the blood cells pumping through every artery in my heart slam on the brakes and look in my direction, as if they've forgotten their destination.  My love is yours, William. I hear this voice again.  So clear, so soft, and filled with such longing for an emptiness to be filled---like my own. My love is yours, William. This voice cuts through me again, plowing through every cell in my body, waking up memories of a time I want to capture again.  A time when I had this woman's love, and when she made me very happy. I pull Lyn even closer to me, this nagging need to feel the warmth of her body against mine, as I demand, "I need to hear it."

Her arms instinctively wrap around my neck.  I can feel her heart thumping against my chest, increasing with her breath, asking, "Hear what?" 

I nudge her nose with the tip of mine.  She still wants to hide, but I won't let her.  I persist by saying, "That you love me." 

"I love you," she whispers.

"Oh, baby..." I'm so overcome with joy, I can't even think straight. And she's not with Luke. After everything that's happened, here we are, lost in our own emotions, by the barren oak tree. Something tells me that if I don't do this now, I may never get the chance. I lost her once. I can't risk losing her again. "I should have done this a long time ago."

"Do what?"

"Marry me. Be my wife."

"But darlin'
You are 
The only exception
You are 

The only exception"

*Copyright 2013 Lyn C.S.*
-----------------------------------------

"The Only Exception" by Paramore
Video by: Fueled By Ramen

27 comments:

  1. Lyn I swear you are killing me here. I mean seriously I'm just feeling so sad when I read these chapters. I get it I really do, she loves him and sadly admitted it to him. :( But I just feel so...I don't know. I know its hard for a woman to be in love with an essentially unkind man, a man undeserving her her love, I get that I really do. But his feelings towards the man that was supposed to be his best friend, considering how he wronged him he has no right really.

    I don't know if he can ever make amends to either Luke or Lyn but they both seem to forgive him for some reason. He's the one that comes out on top to me.

    This all just makes me so sad. :( There's no real other way to describe how I feel. And then he asks her to marry him.

    I'm gonna go drown my sorrows in a glass or two of Baileys LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she used one of my fave songs! For HIM! FOR HIM! :( It's just...no...

      Delete
    2. Mica,

      I knew you wouldn't like this chapter. And I'm sorry for making you sad :( HUGS! You make some really good points about Lyn being in love with an unkind man and the fact that he doesn't deserve her. Even Brad admits he doesn't deserve Lyn. At the same time, he's the type of person that goes for what he wants, even if it's not necessarily in the other person's best interest. Lyn will have to decide for herself if that's the type of man she wants to be with.

      I think once Lyn decides what she really wants: Brad, Luke or neither (she simply may just need to focus on herself and avoid men for a while). Because either way, if she chooses Luke or Brad, someone is going to get hurt big time. And that might permanently damage Luke and Brad's friendship. So there's a lot at stake here.

      And just because Brad proposed to Lyn doesn't mean she'll say yes. He's taking a huge risk here. It can really go either way.

      Haha Baileys. Yummers! Gimme some! :D

      Thanks for your feedback!

      Delete
    3. Daijah,

      It's one of my fave songs too, but it truly describes how Brad feels about Lyn. She's the only woman he has ever loved.

      Delete
    4. Because either way, if she chooses Luke or Brad, someone is going to get hurt big time. And that might permanently damage Luke and Brad's friendship. So there's a lot at stake here.----Brad needs to be hurt. Really her choosing not to stay with a man that hurt her more deeply than she ever has been hurt before (WHICH HE DID ON PURPOSE) would permanently damage the friendship? I think it needs to be damaged. Brad fucked the woman Luke wanted to marry and Luke is the kind of man that would have shouted his intentions from the rooftops so Brad had to know how much Luke loved her! And yet he still did it. The fact that Luke was able to forgive that shit but hold then held it against Natalie pisses me off. Why was she more in the wrong than his scum of a 'best' friend?????

      Damnit Lyn it's too early for me to be drinking LOL but this man, he just UGH!!!! Wanna pull my hair out and scream at all the injustices that he seems to get away with. Their break up has been what a month maybe two? I don't think he can fully appreciate the severity of what he did to her, he sure as hell doesn't seem all that remorseful over what he did to Luke. His thoughts and feelings towards Luke prove that. He wants to physically hurt his 'friend' because he assumed Luke slept with what was his EX. The gall of that man!!!!

      He's taking a huge risk???? Are you kidding??? He's acting out of panic I must show the world she's mine and I kept her from Luke. I win again. That's what I get from that proposal. The only one taking a risk here is Lyn. He hasn't been hurt, not really.

      I'm sorry but I get she still loves him but what he did. To cheat was bad enough, but you do it with the ONE PERSON THE FUCKING ONE PERSON she hates most. From that first time at her house when that bitch came on to him she told him, she let him know then what that relationship was like and not only did he still fuck her sister, he fucking brought her home and did it in THEIR BED!!!! NO NO NO NO NO. :(

      Delete
    5. Gaaahh!! Dammit Mica, why must you make so much sense? lol I don't know, maybe it's because the main character in this story is my simself (which to this day I wish I could change because it's still weird saying my name in the third person lol) and she fell in love with Brad, so when I write from her point of view, I see things the way she sees them, which may not always be objective. She's still emotionally involved with him. With Luke, he put Natalie in such a pedestal that when she screwed him over, he was never able to completely recover. And he forgave Brad because there's always a part of him that feels sorry for this guy. It may not make any sense, but from their perspective, it's not always so cut and dry.

      Although I must say, your ability to pick up Brad's panic and need to win is very perceptive. Kudos, Mica! That is part of the reason why he made the decision to propose to her. But it's not all of it. This time, he feels ready to commit to Lyn. Will he actually deliver? That remains to be seen and only if she decides to get back with him. You are right, Lyn is the one taking the biggest risk if she decides to marry Brad.

      I know, readers may never be able to get past what Brad did. That was a risk I took in this story. I knew it would negatively change his role in the story permanently. At the same time, it presented a huge challenge that I was eager to undertake: to see if he can be redeemed. Brad definitely tests his limits. lol

      All I can say is HUGS! Stay with me :) And don't you go drinking! lol Only if you share. :P

      Delete
  2. Lyn better say yes. At first first I hated Brad but now I've warmed to him again and you can't help who you fall in love with. All I'll say is if she says yes take her to the court house and marry her straight away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, you actually want Lyn to marry Brad? I am shocked! Brad is trying to make amends with the shitty things he has done. And I honestly didn't think it was possible to redeem him, but I am seeing now that losing Lyn made him appreciate what he had with her. Of course Brad is still Brad, he tends to be selfish, but I think he's learning to be more aware of his actions.

      But I agree, sometimes you can't help who you fall in love with. And sometimes, you just have unfinished business with someone.

      Thanks for your feedback, Lckgirl!

      Delete
  3. Yeah...I'm again really unable to convey emotions without completely flipping out. Let me just say I agree with Mica. Just...no...I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd hate this chapter, you and Mica both. :( HUGS! It's okay if you don't have much to say, I understand. Just remember, it ain't over til the final chapter, so anything can happen. It's not over yet. :)

      Thanks for your feedback, Daijah!

      Delete
    2. Don't you DARE get my hopes up just to deliver the final blow Lyn. Every fucking time I open this thing and see his stupid, fat face I just...I WANNA THROW SHIT! It's so bad. I scared the living daylights out of my husband on this one. HE FUCKING PROPOSED! He doesn't deserve happiness when all he gives is pain! I mean he says "she's the only exception" but that's a fucking lie! If that were the case then his selfish, sorry ass wouldn't have treated her like every other piece of shit he took to bed. NO! He would have treated her with the love and respect she deserved. She's NO exception to him cheating on her and hurting her like everyone else! In fact what he did to her was WAY WORSE so if that's the meaning of "only exception" then hell yeah I get it. He not only cheated on her but he took her SISTER someone he KNEW she hated to bed IN THEIR BED! UGH!!!!!

      Ok no...can't sorry. I will seriously leave a 5pg letter and none of it would be good. Dammit Lyn you made me talk about it. UGH! He ruins days! Do you know that? I hate that. He can turn a damn good day into shit!

      Delete
    3. Dammit Daijah, you're killing me!! Now you're making me feel bad! :( Brad ruins days?? No way. It's not possible! Shit, is it that bad? And I had no idea! :( Apologize to Jason for me. And you are right, all Brad has done is give pain to those that love him, Lyn and Luke. In his own strange reasoning, cheating on Lyn and losing her made him realize that she's the one. Not because she's his first relationship, but because she's the one who showed him how to love.

      Luke, on the other hand, is the one that treats Lyn with the love and respect she deserves. The problem is, Lyn is still too emotionally involved with Brad to see that. She will keep letting Brad in because there's something in it for her. Otherwise, she'd be done with him by now. So like I told Mica, things aren't always cut and dry, especially when I write from their perspective.

      Just promise me that you'll stay with me til the end. :)

      Delete
  4. Lyn, you are seriously killing me here. KILLING ME.

    Like I said before, I don't hate Brad. That being said, I really think if she rewards him by accepting his proposal, I will officially have to run amok. Just sayin.

    If everything in his life falls back into place after all he has done to hurt people, I feel like he will have learned nothing at all. I mean, yeah, he got beat up, he temporarily lost his dog, but did he ever really face permanent and real consequences here? At this point,it seems like he hasn't.

    He needs to be alone for a while, to learn how to cope without using the dual balms of sex and booze.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. I seem to be having that affect on readers with the last few chapters. Hmm...maybe I'm just sadistic. lol Nah. Just under the influence of my characters. You know, I may just have to make Lyn accept Brad's proposal JUST to see you run amok. It may be very well worth it. :P

      You make a good point though. He has hurt a lot of people and for Lyn to take him back and marry him, will make it seem like he hasn't learned a thing. At this point, yes, it seems that way. But remember, it ain't over yet. Until I post the final chapter, anything can happen.

      Ideally, Brad should stay away and work on himself. But he doesn't have Luke's resolve. And that is the main difference between them.

      Thanks for your feedback, Karri!

      Delete
  5. Dear Lyndsey Baby,
    You are really starting to kill me here with chapter 40 and 14 both your stories are kinda going at a similer path toward who is going to end up with Lyn. I like that about your writing though it makes it very suspenseful and like a cliff hanger at the end of each chapter making us as readers want more and more. I am glad you told me about the update finally as I proabably would have forgotton to check myself. You are so beautiful as a person and a writer by the way and I hope you will continue your great effort and make both these stories sucessfull like I know you can. Ps I think some of the features of the new expansion island paradise will fit into memors and heats story quite well at some point. Take Care Cupcake and hope to hear from you agian soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom,

      Hehe yeah, I seem to be having that affect on readers with the last couple of chapters. But I figured, we're 10 chapters away from the conclusion of Memoirs, so I might as well make it worth your while. And that is the big question. Who will Lyn end up with? Stay tuned! And the cliffhangers? Buwahaha.

      Awww, you are so sweet, thank you. I really try to evoke emotions in my readers, it's a way of sharing a part of myself through my characters. I like to lose myself in good stories and movies, so I definitely try to do the same for other people.

      Yes, I've been looking into Island Paradise. It's supposed to come out next week right? I'm debating it but will wait til people post screenshots of the EP.

      Thanks for your feedback!

      Delete
  6. I love, love, love this song! I was thinking of having it as my first dance at my wedding:)
    Oh my god! What a chapter, I had the biggest lump in my throat and tears were threatening until "marry me. Be my wife" I have never gasped in shock so hard before! I wasn't expecting that.
    I wonder what she'll say? Lyn, you've gotta stop this! I felt every emotion coming from Brad and this chapter made him seem so...sweet (I can't believe I said that) but then I always wanna shout at Lyn!! HE SLEPT WITH YOUR SISTER!! Does she know about him sleeping with Natalie? If she doesn't that's not gonna go well coz I'm sure Luke will tell her.
    Oh and poor Luke, what's going to happen to Luke now? If Lyn says yes this is surely going to tip him over the edge.
    This chapter was so beautifully written and I really need to know what Lyn is going to say! I'm going to listen to 'The Only Exception' now:) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this song too, it's one of my faves. And it describes how Brad feels about Lyn. Awwwww, that is so sweet! You should definitely use it for your first dance, I know everyone would probably tear up.lol And when you do, come back and tell me all about it :) This was a special chapter for me to write because it's a moment between Lyn and Brad, as well as William and Emma, and the significance of the barren oak tree. There's a lot of history there. I knew this chapter would shock a lot of readers, as well as upset them, but it's a part of the journey of the characters. We're winding down to the last 10 chapters and a lot of questions will be answered in the process.

      LOL I know, I know. I promise, it will stop when I post Ch. 50. Hehe. Until then, don't blame me, blame the characters! :P I wrote this from Brad's point of view because I wanted to show his experience in the process, and the significance of his decision. And to be honest, Brad is not a sweet person. He's actually quite cynical, but Lyn has brought out a more human side of him. Nothing will change the fact that he slept with Lyn's sister. That's something he'll have to live with for the rest of his life. And nope, Lyn doesn't know about Natalie.

      As far as Luke is concerned, stay tuned! ;) Thank you so much for the kind words and feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter and song!

      Delete
  7. Why the hell doesn't blogger notify me when this has an update?!!!

    SCREW THAT! TO HELL WITH THIS!
    MARRY HIM? HIM?!!!!
    HE WHO HURT HER MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY, EVERY KIND OF -ALLY! HELL NO!

    I'm sorry, no! I tried, I really did, but NO!!!!
    I don't care who's mojo he's tapping into, this this William, but no....SCREW THAT!!!!

    So, yeah, Luke dropped a few pages in my book, but I sure as hell would like him better that this this.... aargh!!!

    **grabs Jazen's Bailey**
    **goes for vodka instead**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, he sure did ask her to marry him. That's Brad for you, going after what he wants. Will Lyn say yes? Stay tuned! Haha William's mojo. Well, flashbacks of William proposing to Emma definitely inspired Brad to propose to Lyn.

      Haha OMG, vodka! Sheesh, is it that bad? You and Mica both, already going for the liquor. :P Then Daijah scaring the crap out of her husband. lol Brad is probably smirking right now. ;)

      Thanks for your feedback, JM!

      Delete
  8. I got to tell you, I still dont like Brad. I get that she still loves him, but I feel that him cheating on her with her sister was the last straw. I dont get her turn around either, because I was pretty convinced that she cared a great deal for Luke and for her to say that he was just a friend to her, kind of confused me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don' really expect anyone to like Brad after what he did. He has caused a lot of anger among characters and readers. The thing is, after Luke left, she was pretty much convinced that she and Luke are just friends. Yes, there's an attraction and they care about each other, but they never made their feelings known.

      So right now, that's where they stand with each other.

      Thanks for your feedback, Kristine!

      Delete
  9. Oh. My. Lord. GIRL. I just...okay, one step at a time.

    First off...I personally think Lyn should say no, for right now (Or at least say "Uh...dude, too fast and too soon, not saying yes, but not saying no for the long run either). It's far too quick. Look, I love Brad, I warmed to him, but it FAR too soon. Add to the fact, I still think they need to sit down and talk things out. Especially with Brad and his family past, I still think that needs to come up first.

    And I honestly still think Lyn needs to date Brad and Luke xD See who she really wants to be with. I feel like...just...I dunno, I love Brad, I think he deserves a second chance (believe everyone does, really), but like...Luke has had so little time here. I just...I get a feeling though that soon Luke is gonna show up more in the picture (which I honestly do hope happens, I would love to see that drama xD) and things are gonna change. Or at least, things are gonna be interesting....

    There is like...more I wanna say, but I dunno what! I am just...interested and curious and looking forward to the next chapters! I can't wait to see what is next! That is one thing I can say with your stories, can never guess what will happen next! Thank goodness I can go over to Heat and get caught up with that now! Great writing as usual, and I can't wait till the next update!! Hope everything is going well with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, he's definitely moving super fast and he completely pulled the rug under her with that proposal. But he felt that if he didn't act quick, he would lose her again. As long as Brad is in town, they will have an opportunity to talk things out, if that's what they want. It's the best thing to do, but these characters can be hard-headed at times. lol

      There are so many things Lyn needs: time to heal, to be alone for a while and to work on herself. But she's terribly lonely and she's falling back into her old ways with Brad. You are one of the few readers who actually think Brad deserves a second chance, especially after what he did. Regarding Luke, you'll have to find out for yourself in Ch. 41 then :P

      Aw, thank you so much for the kind words, I'm happy to know that my stories keep you guessing. I definitely try to make them interesting for readers. lol I'm doing well, it was crazy last week being the last week of school so I'm just now responding to comments. How have you been?

      Thanks for your feedback, Vera!

      Delete
  10. I've been putting off reading this for a little while because I sensed major cliffhangers headed my way. So, I thought I'd give myself a few chapters to read at once.... probably only to wind up frustrated with another cliffhanger. I suppose I'll just have to see. :)

    Aw, Brad! I don't WANT you to make it right. Yeah yeah yeah, I know I was almost starting to lean towards him again, but that was just to make myself feel better. I've had a few weeks to think about it, and since the last thing I read was that chapter of Heat when Luke finally admitted he loved Lyn... yeah.

    Nope, I'm not surprised. After all, I saw which direction the car was pointed, and I had a feeling they were going to the tree since there would be 'something about it' that draws him there. :)

    Oh holy mother, if Brad and Luke get face to face without Lyn telling Brad she lied about sleeping with Luke. Ah shit, this is going to explode.
    Sorry, I'm extra-thick lately. You tried to explain the flashbacks. So, Brad is the soldier that Lyn's past life never married? Hm.
    No, he was the husband. Okay. I was right.
    *cough* No, sorry dude. You're not the first.

    What? You just HEARD HER SAY IT, YOU SELFISH BASTARD!

    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
    that is all. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Brooke, it's good to see you again :) Hehe I don't blame you for staying away I've definitely been laying on the cliffhangers. It is the last part of the story after all. So you were starting to lean towards Brad to make yourself feel better? Hehe that's funny. I know what you mean about leaning towards the most recent person in the chapter. Sometimes no matter how you feel about a character, you can't help but feel drawn to them when you get inside their head.

      The shit will definitely hit the fan if Luke and Brad confront each other, and knowing where Luke is head and what he's going to see, it's a likelihood. Yes, Brad is the husband and Luke is the soldier. Jesse and Emma loved each other, but things didn't work out, or at least they had really bad timing. Haha well, it won't hurt William to think he's Emma's first. If he finds out the truth, I can't imagine it going well.

      I know, right? Lyn just told Brad she still loves him and he just haaad to push and ask to hear it again. Hearing it once wasn't enough. Then he drops the bomb on her. Yup, some things haven't changed. lol

      Thanks for your feedback, Brooke!

      Delete
  11. I-yi-yi-yi-..... oh boy... Brad is at odds with himself, maybe that's what the dreams are from. I dunno... I do think that Luke is the better man, Brad has that right. Not to say that Brad is evil, but, he is all about acting and dealing with the repercussions, rather than learning from mistakes... Perhaps Luke should have been harsher on him.. If he has no consequences, he will continue to act then regret, instead of being a good puppy and learning. Lyn still has a lot going on in her head, and this stuff just mixed it all to mud again.... I hope she says no.

    ReplyDelete