Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chapter Two (Goodbye To Love)

Previously, on "Memoirs Of A City Girl":
Ch. 1 (You Ought To Know)
-After what I saw, I ran out of the condo and got on a cab.
-I watched him stare helplessly as I pulled away.
-I told the driver to take me to the bridge.
-As I looked down at the water, I contemplated if I should jump.
-Not feeling ready to die yet, I pondered what I should do next.


Photobucket
 
Location: Bridgeport
Date: Thursday, 10/20/11
Time: 12:01 p.m.


A life of peace and quiet where I can start over is the only thing that will keep me from jumping off the bridge.  I need to go somewhere that won't have any traces of my life here.  I don't want to hear any traffic, I don't want to see high-rises, I don't want to run into anybody I know, I don't want to deal with any noise.   Visions of riding a horse amidst rolling hills  seduce my thoughts, and for the first time I feel a glimmer of hope.  I can even see myself living on a ranch, sipping ice-cold lemonade as I relax on the wrap-around porch, enjoying the sunset.  

"Do you know a quiet town where you can have a horse and a ranch?" I ask the cab driver.

"You mean like the country?"

"Something like that.  Something that's the opposite of Bridgeport."

"There's this town called Appaloosa Plains.  It's really country there.  They only have one grocery store.  But they're well-known for their equestrian center."

Equestrian center??  That sounds intriguing.

"Take me there."  Now I have this need to see this place.

"Maam, that's over 100 miles away.  Are you sure you want to do that?"

"Yes.  My life depends on it."

Photobucket

I look back at the city I call my home.  My heart sinks at the idea of leaving a place that's so familiar and secure.  I can't believe I'm actually going through with this.

Goodbye, Bridgeport.  Goodbye, my love.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Location: Appaloosa Plains
Date: Thursday, 10/20/11
Time: 5:08 p.m.

"Maam?" The cab driver's voice interrupts my nap as we approach the town. 

"Huh?" I sit up, rubbing my eyes.  Oh my God, I can't believe I'm here.  This place looks like one of those run-down ghost towns from the western movies.  We pass through a street lined with small shops and what appears to be a restaurant.  This must be downtown Appaloosa.  

"Where would you like me to take you?"

"Umm..."  Oh crap.  I'm not in Bridgeport anymore.  Where am I supposed to go? 

"Take your time."

Then it dawns on me.  I want to get a horse.  I have no place to stay, no stable to put him in, but I want a horse.

"You said something about an equestrian center earlier.  Do you know where it is?" I ask.

"Yes maam.  I can take you there if you like. "

"Yes, please."

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Here we are." The cab driver announces.

"Thank you." I mutter as I give him my cab fare and tip.

"Have a good day, maam."

"You too."

Photobucket

I'm finally here.  The sound of the cab pulling into the street makes this moment very real.  Within a split second, I went from a city girl that had it all to a strange girl standing in front of a building full of horses.  In a strange country town.

All I have with me is my purse and my bank account.  Everything else, including with my memories, I left behind in Bridgeport.

Photobucket

Taking a deep breath, I walk inside the JRA International Equestrian Center.  The strong aroma of manure and dry grass greets me, and it puts me off for a bit.  I start to feel nauseous.  A part of me starts to wonder what I had gotten myself into, moving into this country town.  Can I really get used to this simple life?  After looking at about a dozen horses, one catches my eye.  He's alone in his stall, eating hay.  He doesn't seem to care for the crowds of people around him, examining his every move. He's beautiful.  His body is gray but his face and the bottom half of his legs are white.  His hair and tail are long, black, lush and magnificent. 

As I approach him, our eyes meet.  Instead of moving away like I expected, he stands still and waits for me to come closer.  I envision myself on his back, with the wind blowing on my face, feeling free among the open landscape.  I imagine myself taking care of him and kissing him goodnight.  And that's how I know.  Call me a hopeless romantic, but I tend to fall in love at first sight.  It's only happened to me once.  With him.  But I'm not going to go there right now. This time I have fallen in love with this animal.  I must have this horse.  

"Hi sweetie.  You're coming home with me." 

Photobucket

It's getting dark, so I leave Mr. Nunu at the JRA International Equestrian Center while I hire another cab driver to drive me around town, hoping to find a place to stay. After surveying several neighborhoods, a ranch stops me dead in my tracks. Even with the fading sunlight, the property is just stunning. It also comes with a stable.

"Can you wait here please? I just need to see if this house is for sale." I ask the cab driver.

"Maam, that house was just put on the market a few weeks ago.  An elderly couple used to live there but they passed away."

"Oh really?? It's up for sale??" I gasp in excitement. This must be my lucky day! First Mr. Nunu, now this ranch.

"Yes, maam."

"I'm going to buy it. Who do I talk to?"

"I know the realtor that listed this property. She works late. I can take you to her."

"Thank you so much. That would be awesome."

After a quick stop at the realtor's office, I sign the deed and hand over a significant portion of my life savings. I've never even seen the inside of that house...let alone the condition of it. But I don't care. Just like Mr. Nunu, I fell in love with the house at first sight. Practical? No. Exciting? Absolutely.

Photobucket


Location: 1012 Pomona Promenade
Time: 8:45 p.m.

Home at last. This ranch has 2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.  I'll have to check out the rest of the property in the morning, but at least it has a stable for Mr. Nunu to sleep in tonight.  Poor thing, he's starving.  I am too.  Good thing they still left the utilities on since I'm able to make a quick mac and cheese dinner.  It's not exactly the healthiest thing but it will do for tonight.  I managed to find it in the pantry, among other canned goods.  Ahhh...it feels nice to relax at home. My new home. It's a big house with a second floor. The previous owners left their truck and furniture behind. Some of it looks outdated, so it looks like I will have to redecorate at some point.  At least I'll have transportation, which helps.  

It feels strange to be alone in this big house, but I feel surprisingly comfortable, as if I've been here before.  There's something familiar about this place, I can't put my finger on it.  I start thinking about my life in Bridgeport with each bite of my cheesy dinner. I start thinking about him.

"What lies in the future
Is a mystery to us all
No one can predict

The wheel of fortune
As it falls
There may come a time

When I will see that
I've been wrong
But for now this is my song
And it's goodbye to love
I'll say goodbye to love"


Photobucket


As pangs of loneliness start to surround me in this quiet house, I decide to check on my beast to make sure he's okay. It's just the two of us now.

"Hi baby," I whisper as I caress his face. I feel a sense of calm as my hand brushes over his beautiful, silky mane.
"You're a good boy, yes you are." 

At least I have someone to keep me company in this strange town.  I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I didn't find this house tonight.  Where would I sleep?  Where would I put Mr. Nunu?  All those years staying with my parents while I saved up and living with him really paid off because I had enough money to buy this house.  Compared to the Bridgeport market, this house is a steal.  

Photobucket

Since he seems to be responding, I decide to give him a treat.  Big mistake. He huffs at me, flaring his nostrils and baring his teeth.  He clearly is not in the mood for treats.  This is strange because it usually works on dogs.  Why won't he accept it?

Fear takes over me as he raises up, sticking his head out of the stall.  Is he going to break the door?  Good thing it latches close. Otherwise, he would have charged at me.  This is a reminder that as cute as he is, he is still an animal. I don't know anything about him or his history.  In fact, I don't know anything about horses.  I've never even touched one.  What the hell was I thinking?

Photobucket

I hear his warning loud and clear.  But I'm stubborn. I apologize to him by gently stroking his face again. He doesn't seem to mind this time.  Then I realize that I should leave him alone to get some rest.  It must be stressful for him to be placed in a new environment.  I'm a stranger after all.  

"Awww, Mr. Nunu is tired. I know, it's been a long day.  Good night, sweetheart.  I'll see you tomorrow."

I should get some sleep too.  
We survived our first day together in Appaloosa Plains.

*Copyright 2011 Lyn C.S.*
----------------------------------------------

"Goodbye To Love" by The Carpenters

Video by: Eric Balajadia

11 comments:

  1. Just one quick note about Mr. Nunu. I think he's narcoleptic because he tends to fall asleep in the most random places. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you're incorporating the music in with the writing. This was nice. I'm glad she didn't jump and was able to find a place to stay. She's so impetuous and I love that! She made a decision to leave town and got out of there. And now the adventures begin :)

    LOL@ the random Nunu fact! Poor thing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daijahv, I have to listen to music when I'm writing, somehow it just helps me get into the moment. lol Each song can represent an emotion, theme or scene in the chapter, and I also imagine it as the song playing if it was a t.v. show or a movie. So I'm really glad that you are enjoying it as well!

    Haha I'm glad she didn't jump as well, otherwise...we'd have no story. XD Yes, she is definitely impetuous (I think she got a little bit of that from me) but her life really depended on her leaving town. Otherwise, she probably would have washed up on shore a few days later.

    Hehe...Mr. Nunu is quite a character. I think he gives her a reason to keep going. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Nunu is so adorable :)
    I love the potential behind this! off to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thank you, Mr. Nunu is a sweetheart. He's the only one she has at this point and he helps her keep going.

    Yay!! You're of to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that she is just going with the flow of this new life instead of trying to control every aspect to avoid the hurt she just endured and the life she just left behind.

    Mr. Nunu is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!! You went on and read Ch. 2!! Thank you for leaving a comment, it always helps when I see feedback, good or bad.

    I think after he near-jump at the bridge, she left some of her fears behind, and she figured if she's going to start a new life in a new town, she might as well just go with where it takes her.

    Thank you, I think Mr. Nunu is one of the angels sent to help her through this difficult time in her life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~ Hey thought I would say I'm started & on board,you had me hooked at the beginning with her deciding not to jump!(there would be no story with that happening!)
    ~ I would say her quick decisions are a step out of her very routine & safe life,a total change from routine!
    ~ On to read more!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karima,

    Welcome to my blog and thank you for checking out my story!! YAY, I'm so glad you are liking it so far! Haha I agree, if she had jumped, there would be no story. lol

    Hmmm...you make some very good points, I never thought of it that way, her having a routine and safe life. She always thought Bridgeport was her home, where her friend and family are, that's all she knew. But you're right, an unfortunate event definitely forced her to think outide the box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only problem she has..is falling in love.I think it just may pay off for her this time tho=).
    edenz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she's a hopeless romantic. She's looking for her soulmate, "the one". I just hope this negative experience won't made her jaded and bitter.

      Delete